Veendam library?

jollyjones

I'm shortly (8th Mar) on the Veendam for a totally-relax-feet-up-read-a-book type break. I'm a fast reader but want to be a light packer so is there a reasonable variety of books on board? I'm an eclectic reader so almost anything will do but I prefer paperbacks (not so heavy to hold up on the lounger) and often read crime, sci fi and historicals; I always leave my finished books in the library for others to read.

I haven't been on the Veendam yet, but I've enjoyed the Explorations Cafes/Libraries on several of HAL's other ships. Their book collections are quite extensive, with a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction. There is also a "book swap" area where you can bring in your own books, and exchange them for titles that other pax have left. I am a book-worm, and HAL's libraries at sea are a major component of why I enjoy the cruise line so much.

I've been on the Veendam twice and both times they had a good selection of paperbacks but in a separate area near the comfy lounge chairs. Just ask the staff who work in the library area and they can direct you. The only time that paperbacks were limited on any cruise I've been on is when there has been a norovirus issue and then all books were off limits for several days. The library is excellent and the staff helpful. Enjoy your cruise.

I've been on the Veendam twice and both times they had a good selection of paperbacks but in a separate area near the comfy lounge chairs. Just ask the staff who work in the library area and they can direct you. The only time that paperbacks were limited on any cruise I've been on is when there has been a norovirus issue and then all books were off limits for several days. The library is excellent and the staff helpful. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the replies everyone - that means I only need to bring a few books to get me started. I suppose if we're in a code red (I sooooo hope not) I'll have to pick up some more in Key West - again I hope I don't have to as I buy my books in thrift stores at home for 50c or $1 - the sticker price of $10+ for a new book makes me gulp!

Archived