A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Then why does your post say you have 52 posts?
I can answer that one: every post shows the total-to-date, and roughly half of the posts on this thread are DBA's replies. :)

If I have a three plug outlet plug that is plugged in lengthwise, will it block a light switch?
The slots are vertical (ground pin on the bottom) and there is no switch next to it ... just a 220v outlet. If you'd like to see a picture, email me.

DBA has been very busy since posting only a few days here at CC. You can always see all of anyone's post just by clicking on their user name and clicking on "show posts"...

... and there is no switch next to it ... just a 220v outlet. If you'd like to see a picture, email me.
Oops ... let me correct myself: it depends on the class of ship whether there is a switch next to the outlet. In my pic of the outlet on the Amsterdam there IS a switch, so I presume all of the ships older than that (i.e. R & S classes) have a switch there.

I'm not aware of anything sailing from ports in Mexico... I've not even heard of Rocky Point Mexico to be quite honest... :confused:

I am, at best, semi-literate re computers and unable to post a link but here is an article that appears in the Tucson, Az newspaper re Rocky Point Mexico. I think a lot of us will be pleased to have a new West Coast port. The article is at

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/biz-topheadlines/263524.

I am, at best, semi-literate re computers and unable to post a link but here is an article that appears in the Tucson, Az newspaper re Rocky Point Mexico. I think a lot of us will be pleased to have a new West Coast port. The article is at

www.azstarnet.com/sn/biz-topheadlines/263524.

Interesting! If this proceeds, it would be a whole new direction for HAL!

l263524-1.png

Sea of Cortez cruises to depart new Rocky Point port

Puerto Peñasco foresees 200 sailings a year as it plans massive port facility

By Gabriela Rico

Arizona Daily Star

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 10.22.2008

p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif?labels=BusinessAndFinance,NewsAndReference

Cruising the Sea of Cortez will be another draw to Puerto Peñasco, where construction on a massive port to accommodate cruise ships is set to begin next year.

"The home port will be similar to those in Miami or San Diego," said Epifanio Salido Pavlovich, director of the Sonora Office of Tourism.

He said Holland America — which last week made its inaugural sailing to the new Port of Guaymas — has agreed to sail four- to seven-day cruises originating and ending at a home port in Puerto Peñasco, with two to five stops along the route.

Salido said the port will be ready to receive its first ship in about three years.

When the port project is finished within about five years, as many at 200 cruises a year could be offered from the Puerto Peñasco cruise ship terminal, Salido said.

He said officials plan to approach other major cruise lines to complement the service offered by Holland America. The project is being funded by Mexican government and private investors.

Initially, the state of Sonora is spending about $15 million to jump-start the project, said Jesus Fontes, planning director for the state tourism agency.

He said the total cost has not been calculated, since the design has yet to be developed. The cruise-port plan comes as other transportation improvements are under way.

The new Puerto Peñasco airport is expected to open in the spring, and the highway to San Luis Rio Colorado later in 2009, Salido said.

Improvements also are being made to the Lukeville Port of Entry, the re-entry point into the United States from the main road to Puerto Peñasco.

Construction of a private hospital, catering to U.S. baby boomers, is also under consideration.

Actually this does not surprise me since Rocky Point has been working hard to be a Prime Tourist destination. In recent years it has become the new College Spring Break Get Away. It would definitely be a new cruise destination intinerary for those of us on the west coat as long as some airlines start to make frequent flights there :)

Blog is very cool. The coast guard picture was excellent.

There have been a few cases lately of ports being cancelled (the one in Russia I can't spell, and Curacao) and ports not being visited much, like tortula.

Can you give us any insight into why ports change so close to sail? Or why they are no longer visited?

Hi, DBA! I've been researching Caribbean trips for 2010 and have noticed that Tortola is being replaced on almost every itinerary. :(Usually for St. Thomas. Is there a reason?

Hi Kosh and maxsmamma,

I actually don't have any role in itinerary planning. I haven't heard anything negative about Tortola lately that would prompt this though...

Capt. Frrrrrrrrrrrrrans Consen is scheduled to join Statendam in March but he's also scheduled to leave her in early May so I hope it works out for ya! He's one of the most outgoing captains in the fleet, plus a funny guy. Just too bad, there are no 'rrr's' in Statendam

It is scheduled to be the first female HAL Hotel Manager, Marcella Himmelreich - and on top of that, she's Dutch (with a German-sounding last name);)

Any idea why I said Marcia when I meant Marcella? I even knew that sounded wrong when I typed it... :o

Here is my kinda dumb question. Many people have suggested bringing a power strip to use for multiple electronic items. I have a plug-in that converts an outlet to three plugs. My question is how are the outlets set up on the desk? If I have a three plug outlet plug that is plugged in lengthwise, will it block a light switch? I can not use it on Princess ships as the light switch is right next to the outlet and the three outlet plug blocks the light switch.

Does that make sense? Maybe i should just settle for the power strip.

Ed

The ships can all be just a little different... I would just bring the power strip and then you don't have to worry about any of that :) I've brought one before if I have cell phone, lap top and a few other things...

You will note that he joined just this month..As he & others have said he's made most of these 50 plus posts since he first joined..As he keeps posting his count will continue to increase..Believe as of now it's about 57 posts..

For instance: Lets say "Jonnycomelately" (hope no one here is named that ;)) just joined today & made his first post in a new thread...Later on in the day & perhaps tomorrow he posts an additional 25 times in his own or other threads..

When you go back to read his very first post it will now show a count of 26 posts..

Hope this explains it..Betty

Thanks DutchbyAssociation for all your advise and sharing with us all your wealth of knowledge and information.

I had booked a HH Guarantee cabin and have just been allocated a category E on the Amsterdam. A nice upgrade - I think. Thanks.

However, I have a few questions:

Can you please let me know how the category E is better than the HH. What's confusing me is that the HH cabin is on a higher deck, it has a bath and shower and is mid ship or more towards the stern than the bow. The category E cabin we have been allocated is on a lower deck than the HH cabins, is almost right towards the bow (which means waking up to the sound of the anchor dropping each time we come into port), the cabin has a shower only (no bath), and I am assuming the shower is the usual real tight fit shower on a cruise ship. The only positive I see with this, is that there is no obstructed view. Having said this, we were on the Zuiderdam to Alaska last year and while I am not 100% sure of the cabin category (it may have been an HH), our fully obstructed view cabin, infact had floor to ceiling french doors which although did not open, allowed for a very decent view. I know its not fair to judge without actually seeing the cabin, but to be honest assuming the cabin we had on the Zuiderdam was an HH, I'd much rather have had the HH than the upgraded cat E.

Sorry, this is not a rant. Just wondering if I am missing something and coming to some judgements with some incomplete information. Just looking forward to some enlightenment here.

Many thanks.

everyone seems to have a different opinion on this subject, I thought since you work for HAL, perhaps you might be able to unravel this subject for me. This is our first time on Hal, first time booking a guarantee. We are on the Zaandam, BC guarantee, leaving March 7. We still have not received a room assignment. I understand the guarantee process but am confused as to how they determine how they will make the assignments and when. Is it computer generated or manual? How do they decide when they will assign your room? Some have suggested it is better to be assigned later as there is more chance of a better cabin, also early booking get assigned first. I dont know how credible any of this is nor even if you are able to answer my questions. Thanks for any insight you can offer and really appreciate you taking on this daunting task of answering us.

everyone seems to have a different opinion on this subject, I thought since you work for HAL, perhaps you might be able to unravel this subject for me. This is our first time on Hal, first time booking a guarantee. We are on the Zaandam, BC guarantee, leaving March 7. We still have not received a room assignment. I understand the guarantee process but am confused as to how they determine how they will make the assignments and when. Is it computer generated or manual? How do they decide when they will assign your room? Some have suggested it is better to be assigned later as there is more chance of a better cabin, also early booking get assigned first. I dont know how credible any of this is nor even if you are able to answer my questions. Thanks for any insight you can offer and really appreciate you taking on this daunting task of answering us.

As I don't work for HAL, my theory is that they throw up all the reservations and see what sticks to the ceiling for first choice. Last year we had booked as early as possible, had almost 100 days with HAL, and were given a far worse cabin in our guarantee than someone who was boosted from an inside guarantee and had never sailed with HAL before. Nancy

As I don't work for HAL, my theory is that they throw up all the reservations and see what sticks to the ceiling for first choice.

I think you may be on to something here. I know that my ~400 days doesn't seem to mean a thing. :rolleyes:

... almost right towards the bow (which means waking up to the sound of the anchor dropping each time we come into port), ...
When you dock the anchor is not used, and I've never been on a cruise that had more than one tender port. You may hear winches is in the a.m., but rarely anchors being dropped.
... our fully obstructed view cabin, infact had floor to ceiling french doors which although did not open, allowed for a very decent view.
An R-class HH is much different from a Vista HH/H/GG/G. In an Amsterdam HH you would have just a 3'x4' window, and looking straight out you would see just a solid steel bulkhead. Some of them may get a peek at the water by looking hard left or right. The E has no obstruction at all.

As I don't work for HAL, my theory is that they throw up all the reservations and see what sticks to the ceiling for first choice. Last year we had booked as early as possible, had almost 100 days with HAL, and were given a far worse cabin in our guarantee than someone who was boosted from an inside guarantee and had never sailed with HAL before. Nancy

All upgrades exist for the convenience of the cruise line, any cruise line. If they do not need your specific cabin ot a cabin in your cabin class, it is more likely you will get what you paid for.

The best advice I can give on this topic is what everyone likely already knows, it's the speech that I put together for callers from my reservations days, and that is:

The deckplans all show how one category relates to another and what is higher and lower than what you have booked. If you cannot honestly say you would be happy with anything above the category you have booked then you should not say that you would take an upgrade and you most certainly should not book a guarantee.

If, in reviewing the deckplans, you would be happy with the room (or category) booked and anything, anywhere, any deck, any configuration that might be above it, then a guarantee or possible upgrade can be great.

It all depends on what you consider the most important thing about your cruise. Deck/location/amenities/configuration (book specific and lock it in) or going for the best price you can possibly find and honestly not caring where you end up, except to know that you'll get what you paid for or something that would have cost you more under the same promotion.

Hope this helps.

All upgrades exist for the convenience of the cruise line, any cruise line. If they do not need your specific cabin ot a cabin in your cabin class, it is more likely you will get what you paid for.

I was happy with the category. It was a forced guarantee, as we weren't allowed to book a cabin on the Prinsendam around South America cruise unless we took the whole thing (we wanted to get off in Buenos Aires). I was sorry to see that time of booking and days with HAL were of less value than putting in someone booked on an inside and with no HAL experience in a cabin we would have loved on that deck. I still enjoy HAL ships - it's just some of the policies in Seattle that are so hard to believe.:eek:

DBA: Thanks for that info, but I was just trying to determine if, in fact, there is any process to deciding who goes in what room. If it is computer generated or does a real person decide and what criteria they use. It is an anomaly.....

Assignments, sailing capacities, etc are handled by a department called Ship Inventory which does not have a direct line, nor do they take calls from guests or travel agents.

You can, however, fax in any requests (which are taken into consideration but as you can imagine not always guaranteed) to Ship Inventory at the following number (note if booked through a Personal Cruise Consultant or Travel Agent, they will need to submit this request)

800-547-4720 (Again, please note this is a FAX number)

Archived