A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hi Dutch: finally got our room assigned, wondering now if we can count on this guarantee to stay our room or if it might change again, we leave in two weeks. Also, we are on the Zaandam, very close to the launderette, will there be noise coming from there? Is it open 24 hours? Thanks for all your help in answering our questions.

Congrats on the room assignment. Glad you like it.

The room can always be subject to change until sailaway, but depending on if the sailing is full or not, could affect the likelihood of further changes.

I don't have the hours handy, but the laundrettes are not 24/7, they have doors which eliminate a lot of the noise and I would say you ought to be just fine!

Enjoy the cruise!

You're welcome!

Is that the 30-35 or so day cruise that goes back to back with the Americas West Coast? :) If only I had 2 months... I would be there!

Yepper! I'm on it too and can't wait. It's 33-days in length, San Diego to San Diego, followed by, I believe, a 30-day South America type itinerary that goes to Peru, among other places. I'm just on for the Hawaii/South Pacific portion, as are several other regulars from this board.

Gonna be an awesome cruise, and I can't wait to get back onboard the Rotterdam. She was my first ship ever, and I miss her. Why don't you take a little "leave of absence" and come along? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

DBA: You may be correct that "More people these days cruise on the line with either the itinerary or the price that they like without as much regard to loyalty as they may otherwise have" but that may only be true within cruise categories; that is, passengers accustomed to premium lines may look for the best combination of price and itinerary within the premium category. I know that having "graduated" to premium cruising, I'd never go back to mass market; instead, I'd cruise less often if necessary. A cruise line that gave up its premium status in a price competition with lines in the mass market category might be making an irreparable mistake. For the next few months or years, the price competition is likely to be even more brutal in the mass market category than in the premium category.

If someone from the fourth floor should ever seek you out to solicit your opinion with respect to fixed dining, after you give your own, you might want to mention that you've heard the opinion expressed that open dining may be good enough for other lines, but that HAL's select clientele is not the same as that of other lines and a considerable number are likely to resist.

In your place I would not go on to suggest that any elimination of fixed dining should be delayed until the market swings back to where it was a couple of years ago: that is, when passengers had to take what they could get. He or she might go back to the fourth floor thinking that it's their responsibility to assess the market and not yours (or mine).

I just finished powering through this thread and taking a few glances around over on your blog.

Nice job dude! :D

Like everyone else has said -- Thanks for being a(n unoffical) link to corporate and for fielding the questions so kindly!

I just finished powering through this thread and taking a few glances around over on your blog.

Nice job dude! :D

Like everyone else has said -- Thanks for being a(n unoffical) link to corporate and for fielding the questions so kindly!

My pleasure. As I keep saying, I'm so happy that the blog has launched as quickly as it did and that everyone is loving it!

I wonder if anyone can help. We are thinking of a HAL cruise with our two 18 year olds ( boy and girl twins) would there be enough for them to do? would there be people their age. I am thinking of the evenings minly asdutring the day there wil be plenty to do

We are thinking of the oosterdam on 30th July in the Med. I'd really welcome anyones help

Thanks

Suesie.

There will be quite a bit for them to do onboard, but keep in mind that while it's summer vacation for schools and colleges which can increase the likelihood of more young adults, it's also a European cruise which can be prohibitive costs (air) for some families.

I would say they'll be fine. Just wanted to mention "the other side of the coin" as well.

How can you tell prior to booking if a large group(s) have been scheduled to cruise on the cruise you are interested in booking?

It can take some time, but the best thing to do is something like a google search with ship name, date and the word group.

For instance, searching "Eurodam 1/1/2009 Group" MAY show any posts about groups on a January 1, 2009 Eurodam cruise. (And yes I know that isn't a sail date :))

Others have mentioned a website they use. I can't confirm it's accuracy, and the Group Administration dept typically cannot disclose that information as it is a contract between HAL and the group leader/agency of which a random caller is not either part of.

DBA, thanks so much for your blog and keeping up with this thread. Is there any way I can find out who the entertainers will be on our cruise? We are sailing the Westerdam May 17, 2009.

Not this far out, but closer to the time of sailing I can likely advise on that. I know that Leo Ward is usually on the Westerdam for Alaska season. He's a great guy that has a bit of a following. (Comedian/magician)

Do you ever sleep????

Easiest question all week! :) Yes. I do.

I have had great experiences on both ships and for me personally the decsion would be financial. If the extra 6 days of ports on Noordam are worth the extra money to you personally, I would say go for it. :) Otherwise, the Westerdam is an incredible ship.

As for more differences between the ships and what people like the most about each one, you may ant to ask in a generic thread on here. Various people have their personal favorite and can give you a lot more feedback on this.

We have been on both the Westerdam and Noordam and are in the minority as we preferred the Westerdam with it's Blue/Green Ceiling Chandelier in the Dining room vs. Noordam's Red one. But, most of that had to do with a better experience/staff on Westerdam. But the Staff is always changing.

How can you tell prior to booking if a large group(s) have been scheduled to cruise on the cruise you are interested in booking?
There's a STICKY THREAD on this subject, and one of the first posts describes a list that CC member richwmn tries to maintain at www.wa70.com/hdisplay.php. Check there first.

And BTW, if anyone learns of group bookings please send that info to Rich so that he can add it to his list. :)

Engine room and bridge tours. Completely unavailable since 9/11 or still given on occasion? Which is the truth?:cool:

So I’ve had a chance to get this blog going to where I know I can keep dedicated to it so I wanted to let all of you know about it.

As you can see from other posts on the blog if you look through what I’ve put up previously, I am an employee of HAL at the corporate offices in Seattle and must admit that the combination of the Holland America Blog http://www.hollandamericablog.com and John Heald’s Blog http://www.johnhealdsblog.com have inspired me to try my own hand at it.

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

My goal is to offer a wide variety of info, both work-related and about me, such as that which John does on his blog…

So ask away, I’m here! And welcome!

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

~B

Archived