A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Engine room and bridge tours. Completely unavailable since 9/11 or still given on occasion? Which is the truth?:cool:

Would you believe both?

The bridge and engine room are not part of any designated tour onboard. However, sometimes for very high level Mariners or those that have become friends with the higher ranking officers onboard, at their discretion they can offer a tour or short visit... but to my knowledge nothing says they HAVE to.

Being that I work for the company, I have been lucky enough to have several amazing ship tours, two of which did make their way to the bridge. Once on Amsterdam and once on Westerdam.

So the best way to answer your question is that there is no guarantee, in fact, expect not to have a tour of those areas, but if you've sailed the same ship enough times that you get to know the Hotel Manager, Captain, etc or if you're a Platinum Medallion or President's Club Mariner... don't be surprised if asking MIGHT result in a yes...

And in case it wasn't too clear, please note the portion of my reply that I italicized, made bold and underlined. :)

DBA,

Why has HAL removed all ships from Asia for 2010? We were planning on the Rotterdam for February and then the ship was redeployed to South America.

2010 is still being reconfigured so I actually can't speak to the fact that "all the ships are removed" but I can guarantee that like always, there will be at least one ship doing some combination of Australia/New Zealand and Asia... I believe the Volendam again.

We are considering Zuiderdam for Easter 2010. We have 2 kids 11 and 9? How child friendly are the ships.?

Are there areas such as pools they are not allowed to use?

This will be the kids first time sailing on HAL.

Dh and I have only been by ourselves.

. They love the Panama canal itenerary and would like to see new places.

They have been on Eastern cruises/Bahamas cruises only.

(NCL, RCI, Carnival -they hate it, and DCL)

They are going on their first Western in Aug. on the Disney Wonder.

They both enjoy the smaller ships and do not need the water slides, ice rinks, etc.

They are more interested in the ports.

We are booked on the Westerdam 4/19/09, Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego.

We have been on the HAL Zaandam, July 08 Alaska Cruise.

A couple of questions:

1)What is HAL policy on bringing wine(case) on board for in room use, as well as the Dining Room(18.00)corkage.?

I understand that you cannot take vodka/scotch etc. on board, to consume, that HAL will return at end of cruise. As well as purchasing Rum, which are wonderful to purchase when you can buy in Aruba, as well as Tequilla in Mexico.

2)Is the Pinnacle Grill still 10.00?, for lunch, 20.00 Dinner. I tried to make reservations, HAL, stated it will be confirmed on the ship, but no guarantee, and I have to pay up front, via credit card, and I won't know until I board.

3)I asked how many formal nights for this 16 day sailing, the first day at sea, but we will not know until we arrive on the ship for the ohter 3 days.

A little difficult to know what to plan, excusions, our day etc.

4)We are on a guarantee with a VD stateroom, the ship is only half sold out, how do they determine, upgrades?

I have enjoyed your blog, and pics, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, AFTER WORK!

THANKS, jAN

Thanks much for your reply. When we were on the Amsterdam, Alaska 2003, there was a ventriloguist. Can't remember his name but the doll was Matilda. We laughed so hard we had tears. One of the funniest, yet clean shows, I have ever seen in my life. Do you know if he is still doing shows on HAL? Always enjoy Julie Barr. Have yet to see the Elton John impersonator. I'm sure we'll enjoy whatever entertainment the Westerdam will have.

Diane

Thanks much for your reply. When we were on the Amsterdam, Alaska 2003, there was a ventriloguist. Can't remember his name but the doll was Matilda. We laughed so hard we had tears. One of the funniest, yet clean shows, I have ever seen in my life. Do you know if he is still doing shows on HAL? Always enjoy Julie Barr. Have yet to see the Elton John impersonator. I'm sure we'll enjoy whatever entertainment the Westerdam will have.

Diane

Couple more really funny ventriloquists who are 'HAL regulars', Mike Robinson & 'Clarence' and Ken Groves & 'George'

Diane

Last summer Leo Ward (magician/comedian) was on the Westerdam. Incredible guy! Good show and really funny too

Could you confirm that effective May 1st., 2009, trays will be eliminated in the Lido on all HAL ships?

That is correct. This is both a policy that has environmental benefits (less water needed to clean the trays and so forth) but also has the benefit of letting people get back to their table after they've selected their items so they can enjoy them when they are still hot. (And I know the discussions at great length that have taken place on this subject and have avoided those threads)

Here are a few highlights in my opinion (let's please keep this discussion positive):

• Staff able to assist those with their plates that request it, those that are disabled, in wheelchairs, or etc
  • You don't feel obligated to fill the tray with plates right away so as I mentioned above, you can take your plate and enjoy your food while it is nice and hot or ice cold (whichever is applicable)
  • Shorter lines at various stations and more walkway to get between the food and table areas as people aren't holding their trays 20 different ways, some which block part of the walkway

I'm happy to do my part on confirming about this policy, but please keep any combative remarks about this topic to the threads that already exist.

Many thanks :D

That is correct. This is both a policy that has environmental benefits (less water needed to clean the trays and so forth) but also has the benefit of letting people get back to their table after they've selected their items so they can enjoy them when they are still hot. (And I know the discussions at great length that have taken place on this subject and have avoided those threads)

Here are a few highlights in my opinion (let's please keep this discussion positive):

• Staff able to assist those with their plates that request it, those that are disabled, in wheelchairs, or etc
  • You don't feel obligated to fill the tray with plates right away so as I mentioned above, you can take your plate and enjoy your food while it is nice and hot or ice cold (whichever is applicable)
  • Shorter lines at various stations and more walkway to get between the food and table areas as people aren't holding their trays 20 different ways, some which block part of the walkway

I'm happy to do my part on confirming about this policy, but please keep any combative remarks about this topic to the threads that already exist.

Thanks for confirming this Dutch! There is always plenty of staff (manager/supervisors/stewards/asst stewards) around in the Lido to assist those that need it. All it takes is to ask one of them (and follow up if that particular person doesn't get it done!) This will be a non-issue very soon!

Dutch, please could you give me more info on a "future dam". I spoke to someone at HAL and they were a little vague with the details. She said she had learned about it in training but had never actually booked one. Thanks, Rosie.

Hiya Dutch ...

We experienced Tray-Free Lido aboard Westerdam a couple of months ago, and I agree ... no issue.

I have an arm disability, and staffers were right there to help me carry my plates, even if it was just one plate (which I could have taken care of myself). No problems.

Thanks for being here to give us the scoop...

Thanks for confirming this Dutch! There is always plenty of staff (manager/supervisors/stewards/asst stewards) around in the Lido to assist those that need it. All it takes is to ask one of them (and follow up if that particular person doesn't get it done!) This will be a non-issue very soon!

Can You get this in writing?

2009-01-27-dear-john-letter-iStock_000000460044XSmall-395x304.jpg

Dutch, please could you give me more info on a "future dam". I spoke to someone at HAL and they were a little vague with the details. She said she had learned about it in training but had never actually booked one. Thanks, Rosie.

That sounds about right actually... Back in my reservations days they were rather few and far between. All the details are located in our intranet though. If the reservations agent you speak to isn't very familiar with the process (give them a chance) then you can ask to speak to a Lead and they can assist further.

Hiya Dutch ...

We experienced Tray-Free Lido aboard Westerdam a couple of months ago, and I agree ... no issue.

I have an arm disability, and staffers were right there to help me carry my plates, even if it was just one plate (which I could have taken care of myself). No problems.

Thanks for being here to give us the scoop...

So glad to hear CP! Thanks for sharing!

Sad news indeed! I will be packing a tray on two for any booked HAL cruises after May 1st.!

Any chances of having a ship stay in Florida all year round? I know there's hurricanes but other lines stay here. I think it would be great.

Thanks

Jay

Haven't heard anything specific, but with 15 ships soon in the fleet... anything's possible. That, and a ship going to Bermuda through the summer... Definitely some good starts.

Keep in mind, it wasn't all that long ago when HAL had been away from Europe for several years. All the ships pretty much were ALaska and the Caribbean

I give up Fred. I've tried to piece together what BCNU is and I'm stumped.

Help? :D

Could this mean.......Be seeing you?! (B C N U) :)

Thanks for creating this thread and your Blog! I'm learning a lot about HAL.

Archived