New Cruise, fixing to go on first cruise!!

Twoods196

Hey Guys, fixing to go on my first cruise to Cozumel and Calica, but unfortuantly im lost as a bat! Where could I find something that will have more information about a place and points of intrest once I get there? We also like to relax and see beatiful senery, what places would you recomend seeing/or relaxing at while at Cozumel and Calica? Were going in May, and wantign to book now and looking for recomendations for someone to book through. We will be leaving either from Port in Mobile, AL or New Orleans,LA. Any other tips would be great! Thanks!!!

Excellent Sites!!!, Thanks!! What do you guys recomend doing in Calica. From reading on here I see Calica is just a port to Playa Del Carmen. I see alot of people say hop a cab to 5th ave and can find everything there, But can you guys recomend good restraunts? Also I said its in May, but its actually June 1 on the Holiday leaving from Mobile,AL. So anyone know a good place to book for good prices and maybe a few incentives? Were also having to get our Passport, can we just get a Passport card, for 45 or do we have to have the Book for 100...Whats the diffrence? Thanks for the help guys, its greatly appreciated!

We were on the Holiday last June and had a great time. It is a old boat but it was in great shape when we took this same cruise. There is nothing in Calica like you said. You can take a cab into Playa and they have a nice beach there. It is definitely a tourist town. We rented a car and went to Tulum ruins which were awesome. On the way back we stopped to snorkel at Yal Ku Lagoon. I have never snorkeled before and it was the hightlight of the trip. After that we drove into Playa and it was busy but we did a little shopping and then went back to the boat. We rented the car at the pier from Executive Car rental. We packed a lot into the day but it was so worth it. Make sure you get all the insurance possible and read about the pros and cons of driving in Mexico. We had no problems at all and the highway was in great shape. I have read negative things about renting a car there. Have a great trip!

At Calica, we booked an Edventure Tour and it was the highlight of our cruise. They met our group of 4 at the pier and took us to their office in Tulum. We toured Tulum, went snorkeling at a cenote Dos Ojos (truly gorgeous and amazing), snorkeled at the turtle sanctuary at Akumal, ate lunch at Akumal and then snorkeled at Yal-ku Lagoon - another beautiful location. We were amazed at how much we were able to see and do in one day. They can personalize the tour if you want to spend more time at the beach and less snorkeling,etc. If I'm ever at Calica again, I will definitely do another Edventure Tour - they took very good care of us and our guide was very friendly and helpful.

Excellent Sites!!!, Thanks!! What do you guys recomend doing in Calica. From reading on here I see Calica is just a port to Playa Del Carmen. I see alot of people say hop a cab to 5th ave and can find everything there, But can you guys recomend good restraunts? Also I said its in May, but its actually June 1 on the Holiday leaving from Mobile,AL. So anyone know a good place to book for good prices and maybe a few incentives? Were also having to get our Passport, can we just get a Passport card, for 45 or do we have to have the Book for 100...Whats the diffrence? Thanks for the help guys, its greatly appreciated!

We are also sailing on the June 1 Holiday with 2 granddaughters 6 & 8. It has been a few years since we have been to the Calica/Playa area so I am not much help there. It will be our first time on the Holiday and first time out of Mobile. There is a small group on the cruise critic roll call if you care to join us.

In Cozemel it depends on what you want to do. You can take a taxi for a short ride into downtown for shopping, food and bars. The best beaches are the other way. Also a Taxi ride. The taxi fees are posted in the pier taxi area. Always confirm the taxi rate before getting in the cab.

The best almost free beach is Paradise Beach, no entry fee but requests $10 pp in food or drinks. Wrist band another $10 for non power water toy access. We skip the water toys and just chill on the beach. There are also some all inclusive beachs that for a fixed fee will include drinks, food and water toys.

For the Passport card it is good for sailing to Mexico and the Caribbean from US posts and also land border crossings into Mexico and Canada. To fly to or from anywhere out side of a US territory you must have the passport book. Depending on your travel plans for the next 10 years is how I look at it. We went ahead and got the passport book a couple of years ago. Now if we have to fly back from a cruise there will be no hassle. As the June 1, 2009 gets closer the return times for passports will lengthen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! We are also sailing on June 1 on the Holiday! Not sure what we are doing in Cozumel yet. I've done the party boat cruise and also went to Playa Mia. Both excursians were ok, but we are looking for something different this time. We are considering swimming with the dolphins in Calica (well Playa Del Carmen), but if not we will probably just go to the beach. I've read the best thing to do is just take a taxi from the pier to 5th Ave. There is supposed to be a lot of shopping, food, and beach in that area. Hope you guys have a great cruise. We can't wait!

• 2 months later...
At Calica, we booked an Edventure Tour and it was the highlight of our cruise. They met our group of 4 at the pier and took us to their office in Tulum. We toured Tulum, went snorkeling at a cenote Dos Ojos (truly gorgeous and amazing), snorkeled at the turtle sanctuary at Akumal, ate lunch at Akumal and then snorkeled at Yal-ku Lagoon - another beautiful location. We were amazed at how much we were able to see and do in one day. They can personalize the tour if you want to spend more time at the beach and less snorkeling,etc. If I'm ever at Calica again, I will definitely do another Edventure Tour - they took very good care of us and our guide was very friendly and helpful.

Is there a web site t the Edventure tours?

You can find them at: edventuretours dot com dot mx

Their website has pictures, tour descriptions and prices, and a wonderful guestbook where you can read a lot of reviews. Edventure tours really did spoil me and I think it would take a very special excursion to ever top the day we had with them. The next cruise I book, I want to return to Calica just so I can do another trip with them.

Archived