Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

golf_hawaii

POST cruise motion sickness?

I just got off the Sky yesterday (wore sea bands, ate ginger pills AND wore the scopolomine patch) just to be sure I wouldn't get sick. I felt a little "icky" the first night, but then all was fine throughout the remainder of the cruise - even though we had some nasty motion part of the time, due to a front that seemed to be following us.

I got home last night around 7:30 and felt just fine - took off my bands and patch. Even went out to dinner with DH and had one glass of wine with no problem.

All of a sudden, this morning, I bent over for something and WHAM! I felt dizzy and nauseated! Still feels like I am on a rocking boat this afternoon...has anyone ever got sick a day AFTER getting off the boat???:confused:

Yes, it is really a known malady. It is called MalDeBarquement Syndrome.

The recommended treatment that I have read about is to keep using whatever prevented sea sickness onboard for you.

I have had it a couple of times, and it can last for a week or more. Some people say it is relieved is when they are in a moving car!

I only experienced it in small spaces; the shower, a closet....things like that! It's only happened to me twice---the 1st time, on a very rough cruise, and the second time, the seas weren't rough at all! Go figure!

It will pass--it just takes time.

Take an antihistimine for a couple of days.

Yep. Got off Adventure of the Seas a week ago tomorrow and still feeling a little of my "sea legs". It's getting better day by day, although the Post Cruise Depression is setting in. Thankfully we booked another cruise almost immediately, although it is 51 weeks away.

I wore seabands on AOS and they worked well for me... I had dramamine and bonine with me just in case but never needed them.

I read on some other thread here to put the seabands back on, and that works.

This happened to me when I got back from a 3 day cruise. No problem while on the ship, but once I got out of the car from the ride home I was was still feeling the motion.

The Dr. said to take some benedryl and that made it go away.

Its called getting your land legs back and with some it is quite acute...yours sounds like one of the acute cases but it will pass.

We are boaters and have a small cabin cruiser. I know when we go on a trip for a couple of days this will happen to us. I am sure you are experiencing the same thing. It will pass in time.

Yes, some of us get "sea legs" for a while after the cruise but it's nothing compared to "air legs" after we once took a helicopter excursion!:eek:

DD had mal de debarquement quite badly on her return to work after her cruise last year..... went back to work where she has one of those swivel chairs..... fell off it.... she suffered for a few days....

has anyone ever got sick a day AFTER getting off the boat???:confused:

Sure. I never get seasick, I get "stillness illness" -- for about a week after a cruise. I find it helps somewhat to wear the wristbands and keep focusing on the horizon, but mainly I treat it by moaning loudly about needing an ocean under me again. :D

Caro

went back to work where she has one of those swivel chairs..... fell off it....

Oh, yeah, I've done that. Walked smack into walls and doorframes, too, because I was so disoriented. It's not nearly as funny as it looks.

Caro

I start taking Bonine 3-4 days pre-cruise, take it every day on the ship, and continue taking it for a few days after I'm home. This seems to help me.

We just got back yesterday from a seven day cruise--not a bit of sickness on board or off--until this morning in the shower--now I can hardly stand up! Glad to hear it will pass, but I hope its safe to work tomorrow!