Star or Pearl?

Cruise-Crazy

I am trying to plan a cruise to Alaska for a group of friends. Does anyone have any preference for the Star or the Pearl? I know the Pearl is the newest of the ships but that is not that big of a deal to me. The price is pretty close so that did not help decide :)

Any help from anyone that has been on there would be a big help.

We were on the Pearl to Alaska last May and loved it. It was new, bright, and beautiful. While you say "new" doesn't really matter to you; it was nice. Others have sailed on the Star and reportedly like her as well. So, I guess I haven't really imparted new info, huh?

It did seem though that the Star, which was in port with us on occasion, was not in port as long. They left much earlier in the day. That may be a consideration for you.

IMO-In Alaska the itinerary is more important that the ship. And I believe that the Pearl is doing the Glacier Bay Itinerary (which is preferred by many). In this case I think the Pearl also happens to be the better ship.

I'd sail the Pearl-especially if it is first (or possibly) my only cruise to Alaska.

Yes, the Pearl did do Glacier Bay, beautiful. If the Star does the other, Sawyer Glacier, I would definitely choose the Pearl! Plus, we had a great, Meet and Greet group and received one hour free bowling the last sea day. It was so much fun!

Yes, the Pearl did do Glacier Bay, beautiful. If the Star does the other, Sawyer Glacier, I would definitely choose the Pearl!

Yes, the Star does Sawyer (often iced out and can't get close). Not a good experience if someone is looking forward to glacier viewing, but the Fjord is beautiful, so that helps ease the pain! :D

I did both. Pearl is better because:

1) Glaciar Bay is outstanding, with Park Rangers narrating onboard

2) Later times for some ports resulted in a better nightlife. Nightlife almost non-existent on Star.

3) Much better Canadian port of call--Victoria. Rupert's Bay is useless, except to stretch your legs on land.

4) If food is important to you, Pearl's buffet is far superior to Star's.

Archived