Live from Century 02/09/09 sailing

Xcruiser

Did you eat in Murano's?

Joel, glad ya'll are enjoying yourselves too! I sail her in April

and I am so looking forward to it:)

I envy you Lois, We seriously considered seeing if we could stay on for the next sailing but the reality of work took over:o. I’m sure you’ll love it onboard and hope you have as good of a sailing as we did. We didn’t eat at Murano’s this time but we did last April and both my DW and I agree it was our best dining experience ever, land or sea!:)

Joel

Thanks for taking the time to send updates from the ship. Just makes waiting for our cruise even harder!!

Please write a full report soon. I would like to know more about Muranos too.

Hi LibraryLady, Glad to see you are now re-booked on the Century and on the mend. I don't check this board much after cruising, but we had a great time on the 1/26 sailing. Perfect weather, great service. Century is a nice size and good for a first cruise. If you're a morning person, there is a free stretch class and then we had breakfast at the AquaSpa Cafe, still a favorite quiet spot to eat, if not on own balcony. We had a fun group at our MDR table and the one night we had sushi, still went down to join them for dessert (Baked Alaska night, don't miss it) so no report on Muranos. One entertainer not to miss is Franklin. He plays at Sunset Bar (my favorite spot in late afternoon, can snack on sushi too) plus other locations throughout the day so check the dailies. He's from ChicagoLand, hear a preview at: http://www.franklinsings.com. Know that you will have a great time on the Century!

Thanks for the great tips Janet. My elbow is almost back to normal now and I feel fit enough to snorkel at least (and lift a few glasses!). Will certainly look for Franklin, he'd probably appreciate talking to someone from the Chicago area (hope he's a Sox fan!).

Love your kitty pic. - looks like my Sasha only plumper!!

Look for my detailed report post-cruise. DH is getting into CC now - plans to take pics of menus and post them as he says there aren't enough out there!!

Hi xcruiser,

Any info on who the captains club hostess is? Would appreciate it. Thanks :)

Anne

Hi Anne,

The Captain’s Club Hostess was Angela Cochon and I thought she did a wonderful job. My DW received a flower arrangement compliments of her and we both received an invitation to tour the bridge on the last sea day, quite an experience and Captain Anastassios Lekkas join us on the bridge. :)

Joel

Hi Joel,

We are going to be on Century for the 4/20 to 4/25 sailing. We have been on many RCCL and NCL cruises but never Celebrity. We are going to see our son as he will be one of the new singers with the entertainment staff. He joins the ship on April 16th. Were you able to get to any of the production shows? He received music from Liverpool Knights and a Broadway show. I have heard that Celebrity shows are a notch below the RCCL shows, but hope he will like them somewhat.

Thanks so much,

Michele

Hi Joel,

We are going to be on Century for the 4/20 to 4/25 sailing. We have been on many RCCL and NCL cruises but never Celebrity. We are going to see our son as he will be one of the new singers with the entertainment staff. He joins the ship on April 16th. Were you able to get to any of the production shows? He received music from Liverpool Knights and a Broadway show. I have heard that Celebrity shows are a notch below the RCCL shows, but hope he will like them somewhat.

Thanks so much,

Michele

Hi Michele,

The only production show I went to was Liverpool Knights as I had not seen this one before and I liked the theme. Some of the numbers were outstanding and others a little weak and the choreography I felt needed some work. The entire production only used one set. A couple of the numbers featured an acrobatic couple that didn’t seem to blend with the show and took attention away from the lead singer. Overall I enjoyed it and I’m not big on production shows but I liked the music. The performers received and standing ovation so most really enjoyed the show.

As for how Celebrity compares to RCCL or NCL in production shows I can’t say first hand as I haven’t sailed on those lines. I personally feel Celebrity productions shows are on par with the one Carnival sailing I’ve done and are better than those on my HAL sailings.

The difference I think you’ll see sailing on Celebrity is a focus on service over activity vs. RCCL or NCL; it’s a more relaxing style of cruising.

I wish your son good luck in his new position with Celebrity and hope you have a good sailing onboard the Century.:)

Joel

:)Hi, I will be on CENTURY the sailing before you...April 16th.

I don't do the shows much but in this case might make an

exception;)

That is terrific.....hope he enjoys himself:) and wishing

him all good things!

Lois,

Thanks! We almost booked the week of the 16th for his debut, but decided on the next one due to it being the last time we see him for awhile with the ship sailing to Europe on the 25th. My son's name is Patrick and I hope you enjoy his vocals. He is young - 20 yrs, but is very passionate and entertaining. Hope you have a blast on your cruise and if you get a chance, please let me know about the show.

Thanks,

Michele

Lois,

Thanks! We almost booked the week of the 16th for his debut, but decided on the next one due to it being the last time we see him for awhile with the ship sailing to Europe on the 25th. My son's name is Patrick and I hope you enjoy his vocals. He is young - 20 yrs, but is very passionate and entertaining. Hope you have a blast on your cruise and if you get a chance, please let me know about the show.

Thanks,

Michele

Hi Michele:), not sure how I can let you know about the show because

you will be on your way to the ship as I am disembarking:eek:

I am sure he will do just fine:D:)

Hi Joel,:) For the first time (since this is only 4 nights) I am

thinking of going to Murano's every night.

I already booked for the 1st night and got my confirmation.

I remember sailing on CENTURY in Dec 2007 and it was also

a 4 nighter. I ate there once that sailing...came away thinking

for such a short cruise it would be so fun to do it the other 3

nights too.

Sort of stepping outside of the box as I usually love the dining

room.

I guess I have time to make a final decision since I don't leave

till April.

We didn’t go to Murano’s this time around as this cruise was kind of a last minute call with the goal of keeping the cost down. Last April on Century we were offered a off menu entrée at Murano’s and we had probably the best dining experience of our lives – service and food, great bottle of wine as well. I felt we could likely get in if we felt the MDR didn’t agree with us, but it did.

I didn’t quite connect with our waiter in the MDR and I thought he’s service was very stiff. He never used our names and I don’t think he cared to know them. He would not make eye contact and looked away when he spoke, when he asked how our food was he would always answer is own question with “excellent yes” and walk away. Despite his personality the service however was first rate, food always hot and after the second night it was well paced.

One thing I was really surprised about was the food in the MDR and the menus. Since this was a 5 night cruise I expected to see some cost cutting on the menu but really didn’t. In fact the menu’s were not like I’ve seen posted on the boards for the new menus, Instead I would call them the “best of old menus”. I didn’t get copies but I do recall what I had per below:

1st night:

Prime Rib, garlic mashed potatoes, (3 :rolleyes:) green beans. I had the biggest slice of Prime Rib I’ve ever had on a cruise ship and it was done just right for my tastes.

2nd night: (Formal and the dress code was very well respected, I was surprised)

Encrusted rack of lamb – very good!!:)

3rd night:

Braised lamb shank. – So tender you could cut it with your fork and I had a very large serving – Excellent!!!:)

4th Night:

Beef short Ribs – again very good.

5th Night: This was the one menu we didn’t like much and it was one of the new one’s with seafood risotto – shrimp and scallops, less lobster tail. We ordered the always available Sirloin steak with garlic butter and all I can say is – “don’t do it”. Quality of the beef was pretty poor and not much taste but was prepared correctly.:o

Other Items – Salad’s were a big improvement, soup bases were very salty along with the escargot on formal night. We didn’t do many deserts as we were full but the Baked Alaska was the best we’ve ever had – not sure what they did to it but was great.

Also the Brunch was fantastic!! – don’t miss that one (it’s listed in the daily).

So basically I felt the food was much better than last year with many of my past favorites on the menu each night. As it turned out the only night we should have gone to Murano’s was the last night but if you can do Murano’s every night I’m sure you won’t be disappointed ether.

Was going to cover above in my review, if I ever get it done.

If you spend any time on our veranda a.k.a. Sunset Bar, ask for Chris and say Joel & Colleen (a.k.a. bucket of Corona) say hi – he took very good care of us while we were onboard.:D

Joel

Joel, we are embarking on the Century day after tomorrow, and I am packing today. This will seem a silly question, but every bit of packing space helps. Do they give out the canvas bags on the short cruises? If not, I will pack one from home. Many thanks for this thread, and for any answer you provide.

Ellie

Joel, we are embarking on the Century day after tomorrow, and I am packing today. This will seem a silly question, but every bit of packing space helps. Do they give out the canvas bags on the short cruises? If not, I will pack one from home. Many thanks for this thread, and for any answer you provide.

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

I wish I was just getting on Century, how lucky:). We had a inside stateroom on Penthouse deck and got tote bags – however the material I would'nt call canvas…more like paper. We brought our own, the nice one’s they give out in the CC and suites. You could get away with the ones provided however.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Cruises on the Century seems to becoming a habit with you!

Do you care to join us on the Millie this fall for a 16 night eastbound Panama Canal cruise? We need someone to make up Cruise Critic nametags ;) for the get-together. It should be an easy job since we only have six people signed up so far. :(

We took your advise and booked cabin 6144 for this one.

Les

Hi Joel,

Cruises on the Century seems to becoming a habit with you!

Do you care to join us on the Millie this fall for a 16 night eastbound Panama Canal cruise? We need someone to make up Cruise Critic nametags ;) for the get-together. It should be an easy job since we only have six people signed up so far. :(

We took your advise and booked cabin 6144 for this one.

Les

How are you doing Les?,

You could say with Century I’ve gotten quite attached to the old girl, she really ages well. I think the size, décor and feel to the ship are just right for my likes.

How funny, Colleen and I were just looking at taking Connie this fall on a 13 night Caribbean itinerary. I guess if you need name tags then I might have to look at the Panama eastbound. Only problem I see is 1) it might entail flying and 2) some bozo already booked my room.:rolleyes:;)

I going to look at that sailing, who knows…despite you being on it I still might want to take that sailing.:D

Joel

We didn’t go to Murano’s this time around as this cruise was kind of a last minute call with the goal of keeping the cost down. Last April on Century we were offered a off menu entrée at Murano’s and we had probably the best dining experience of our lives – service and food, great bottle of wine as well. I felt we could likely get in if we felt the MDR didn’t agree with us, but it did.

I didn’t quite connect with our waiter in the MDR and I thought he’s service was very stiff. He never used our names and I don’t think he cared to know them. He would not make eye contact and looked away when he spoke, when he asked how our food was he would always answer is own question with “excellent yes” and walk away. Despite his personality the service however was first rate, food always hot and after the second night it was well paced.

One thing I was really surprised about was the food in the MDR and the menus. Since this was a 5 night cruise I expected to see some cost cutting on the menu but really didn’t. In fact the menu’s were not like I’ve seen posted on the boards for the new menus, Instead I would call them the “best of old menus”. I didn’t get copies but I do recall what I had per below:

1st night:

Prime Rib, garlic mashed potatoes, (3 :rolleyes:) green beans. I had the biggest slice of Prime Rib I’ve ever had on a cruise ship and it was done just right for my tastes.

2nd night: (Formal and the dress code was very well respected, I was surprised)

Encrusted rack of lamb – very good!!:)

3rd night:

Braised lamb shank. – So tender you could cut it with your fork and I had a very large serving – Excellent!!!:)

4th Night:

Beef short Ribs – again very good.

5th Night: This was the one menu we didn’t like much and it was one of the new one’s with seafood risotto – shrimp and scallops, less lobster tail. We ordered the always available Sirloin steak with garlic butter and all I can say is – “don’t do it”. Quality of the beef was pretty poor and not much taste but was prepared correctly.:o

Other Items – Salad’s were a big improvement, soup bases were very salty along with the escargot on formal night. We didn’t do many deserts as we were full but the Baked Alaska was the best we’ve ever had – not sure what they did to it but was great.

Also the Brunch was fantastic!! – don’t miss that one (it’s listed in the daily).

So basically I felt the food was much better than last year with many of my past favorites on the menu each night. As it turned out the only night we should have gone to Murano’s was the last night but if you can do Murano’s every night I’m sure you won’t be disappointed ether.

Was going to cover above in my review, if I ever get it done.

If you spend any time on our veranda a.k.a. Sunset Bar, ask for Chris and say Joel & Colleen (a.k.a. bucket of Corona) say hi – he took very good care of us while we were onboard.:D

Joel

Oh, I will definitely be on that veranda:D. Is Chris the Bartender?

As for the menu, guess I am in the minority but I have always

found something pleasing to my pallet!

But was just thinking this time I might do something different.

We'll see.

...it might entail flying and 2) some bozo already booked my room.:rolleyes:;)

I going to look at that sailing, who knows…despite you being on it I still might want to take that sailing.:D

Joel

It might involve some flying unless you enjoy a long swim. The cruise terminates in San Juan, PR. That would be the swim part.... It starts in Los Angeles. You have a few options there; fly, drive, hitchhike......

The bozo had both of your cabins. Originally, we booked 6143 since I thought they ran the Panama Canal like a US highway with ships passing port side to port side. On the Panama Canal board, someone suggested starboard side for a eastbound transit so we switched to 6144. I think it is really the luck of the draw for being able to see the other channel from your verandah.

The cruise is October 10th through the 26th. I don't think they have sold many cabins yet.

Best Regards,

Les

Oh, I will definitely be on that veranda:D. Is Chris the Bartender?

As for the menu, guess I am in the minority but I have always

found something pleasing to my pallet!

But was just thinking this time I might do something different.

We'll see.

Chris is one of the table waiters on our veranda with the bar setup – a.k.a Sunset Bar. He is a very enjoyable Philippine with a great sense of humor.:D

Joel

It might involve some flying unless you enjoy a long swim. The cruise terminates in San Juan, PR. That would be the swim part.... It starts in Los Angeles. You have a few options there; fly, drive, hitchhike......

The bozo had both of your cabins. Originally, we booked 6143 since I thought they ran the Panama Canal like a US highway with ships passing port side to port side. On the Panama Canal board, someone suggested starboard side for a eastbound transit so we switched to 6144. I think it is really the luck of the draw for being able to see the other channel from your verandah.

The cruise is October 10th through the 26th. I don't think they have sold many cabins yet.

Best Regards,

Les

Les,

Just an F.Y.I. – the ships do pass port side to port so eastbound (we did the canal eastbound by ferry) you should take the south locks so 6144 would face the mountains not the locks, at least the day we did it . I’m not sure which you prefer but I would pick 6143.

I’ll look into that sailing and see if it would work out for us, I’m not a good swimmer and I never get picked up hitchhiking so we’ll see.:)

Joel

Archived