• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

new to Carnival....

underthebluemoon

Hellooooooo!

We're looking at a 7 night cruise on the Liberty that has stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Price is right, but, I'm not sure about Ocho Rios: we've been to Ocho Rios before at a resort for a week and I was not at all impressed with the beach at our resort.

We're beach people, not interested in walking on the Dunns Falls -- did that already -- or swimming with any dolphins, etc.

Are there any nice beaches that you can go to on your own, not with an expensive excursion price tag, in Ocho Rios? If not, that's a wasted port day for us and i'm considering changing to the Glory. The ports on this one are St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau.

If given a choice, which would you pick if you were strictly basing it on the best beach days? Interested in replies from people who have done these ports and/or both ships. Is the Glory as nice as the Liberty?

I have my eye on a Freedom 8-day itinerary, too, but the price is a bit too high .

Hellooooooo!

We're looking at a 7 night cruise on the Liberty that has stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Price is right, but, I'm not sure about Ocho Rios: we've been to Ocho Rios before at a resort for a week and I was not at all impressed with the beach at our resort.

We're beach people, not interested in walking on the Dunns Falls -- did that already -- or swimming with any dolphins, etc.

Are there any nice beaches that you can go to on your own, not with an expensive excursion price tag, in Ocho Rios? If not, that's a wasted port day for us and i'm considering changing to the Glory. The ports on this one are St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau.

If given a choice, which would you pick if you were strictly basing it on the best beach days? Interested in replies from people who have done these ports and/or both ships. Is the Glory as nice as the Liberty?

I have my eye on a Freedom 8-day itinerary, too, but the price is a bit too high .

We did the river tubing in Ocho Rios and just loved it. it was great fun!

we've been to ocho once, and probably the last time. too many other places to visit that don't seem as crime ridden or dangerous, yes i said dangerous people, now lets see if everyone jumps on here and says how new york, or miami, or blah, blah, is just as dangerous. whatever, i will not return to jamaica.

been to st. thomas, wasnt the greatest, but we're going back next year and will do a tour of the island and we expect better results.

in jamaica we did the falls, which was great, but then our tour guide forgot us at this crappy little gated shopping area, and we sat there for hours waiting and drinking red stripe. we eventually realized he wasnt coming back so we found a cabbie and had him take us back to the ship. it was actually one of our greatest memories from our cruises, but i will explore many other lands before i return there.

in st. thomas we did a snorkel tour to the sea turtles that was great, but spent the rest of the day walking around town, and that was just kinda so-so. we should have done the tour that some of our CC buddies went on, they had a great time, so we're going back there in 2010 on the victory. good luck.

mike

For beach people, I would do the Eastern Itinerary on the Glory. St. Marteen and St. Thomas are great for beaches. I have done both of your itineraries (did Grand Cayman and Jamaica on Imagination). If I were to chose between Glory Eastern and Liberty Western, I would do Glory.

Vicki

Hellooooooo!

I can't help you with picks on the Liberty or Glory because I haven't been on either ship. Looking at itineraries though...we enjoyed St. Thomas St Maarten, Cozumel and Cayman. We did the falls at Ocho Rios not a beach. We didn't enjoy Nassau (did a historical walking tour) but heard good things about the beach.

I have done the Freedom. The itinerary on the 8 day with stops in San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua and Nassau is amazing.

So if the price goes down I'd recommend the Freedom.

I can't help you with picks on the Liberty or Glory because I haven't been on either ship. Looking at itineraries though...we enjoyed St. Thomas St Maarten, Cozumel and Cayman. We did the falls at Ocho Rios not a beach. We didn't enjoy Nassau (did a historical walking tour) but heard good things about the beach.

I have done the Freedom. The itinerary on the 8 day with stops in San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua and Nassau is amazing.

So if the price goes down I'd recommend the Freedom.

I forgot my manners:o

Welcome to CC!!!!

Hellooooooo!

You asked about picking a cruise and stated all you want to do is beaches. If you want beaches, the Victory 7 day out of San Juan is likely the best.

For specific info about beaches at various ports, you will get lots more info in the ports section of CC. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Thanks a lot! I didn't know there was a section just for the different ports. I've been lurking but apparently not very efficiently.

I'm totally psyched to do the 8 day Freedom, but it's tallying in about $1000 more than we want to spend for four of us. The ports are great, all places we'd really love to go. If in St. Thomas and time permitted, I'd definitely try to get over to St. John, we spent half our honeymoon there 20 years ago, and it was beautiful. We spent the other half on Peter Island, which is a short ferry hop from Tortola.

The more I'm thinking about it, one time (for a week) in Jamaica was enough for me, I don't ever want to go back unless I have to. Another port I avoid like the plague is Grand Turk. That was a wasted trip, not at all worth a stop in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I do have a countdown on my screen because I thought it was too cute, but the timer may not be totally accurate yet.

Archived