• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

transfer charging us more money because mom is disabled.

Umbarger

We are trying to arrange a transfer between an airport and Pier. We have found a shuttle service that offers this for $9pp. When I called they advised since mom was disabled we would have to pay 15.50pp since they have to get a different van.

I don't think this is right. Charging more for disabled is discrimination isn't it? Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance for your advise.

Yes, this is discrimination. Is this transfer in the US or Canada? If not, there is little that can be done about it. I would ask to speak with the manager/supervisor and discuss the ADA. If not in the US I would just suck it up and pay extra.

What shuttle service are you using and which airport? We use supershuttle at most airports and they know that it is against ADA to charge extra for HC vehicle. We make sure we tell them right up front what we require and that we require a vehicle with a lift for a scooter; they naturally have fewer of those vans, but with plenty of prior notice we have always been able to get one:)

ADA applies in Honolulu :)

When I saw this thread title, I got a few lines from Fred Small's "Talking Wheelchair Blues" in my head:

Then he whispers, "Uh, is she gonna be sick,

I mean, pee on the floor or throw some kind of fit?"

I said "No, I don't think so,

I think she once had polio.

But that was twenty years ago.

You see, the fact of the matter is,

If the truth be told,

She can't walk.

If you don't know that song, find it and give a listen, it's pretty good!

If you are booking with a private transfer service, it gets slightly cloudy, for instance if you call to arrange a limo service, and you want a town car, but it turns out you need a stretch limo for what you actually require then you will be charged more because you are renting a limo not a town car. If you needed an accessible Limo, more than likely the company would just say they did not have that service. and they would not be required to have such a vehicle.

Now if you are at a Hotel that offers shuttle service to all it's guests they must provide whatever vehicle it takes to offer a disabled guest the same service.at no additional cost. Same thing if it is public transport, they must offer an accessible option for no additional cost.

So you need to determine where this company that told you that falls with in this if you see what I am getting at.

Archived