• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

one ? on portofino reservations

I wanted to make a reservation online for portofinos for march 30 but they only have the 29th (formal), april 2 and april 3 (last night). I called rccl to try to make a reservation by phone but they said that what shows online is all that is left. SO MY QUESTION if I book the 2nd and then when I get on board and find out that the concierge can get me a reservation for the 30th, will I be able to switch it or will I have to pay for both? (since I am prepaying for april 2nd as I want to make sure that I go)

If the date you want isn't avail. online, just wait until you board---they don't fill all the slots in advance---there are alot of folks who wait to make a decision about the specialty restaurants. Since you have the use of the Concierge, they'll get you what you want!

I had the same problem. When I called I was told that Portofino wouldn't be open everyday due to cutbacks on our June cruise. I was also told that the reserve 40% of the tables for reservations onboard. I was told to book online and change when I board if a better time becomes available.

sounds like I will be safe either way? Hope so. I really wanted it on the 30th since that is my birthday. But I will settle for a different day (except formal night and the last nite) if I can't have the day I want. I would rather book and pay for it now because what ever is left of our OBC is mine!;) That would be an extra $40 for me:p But I did want to make sure that if the day I want is available they can switch it without costing anything. hmmm

I'm on the May 9, 2009 sailing on Explorer. The specialty restaurants just became available today. I wanted to make reservations for my group for our wedding night. I made the first table of 6 people fine, after that I couldn't make another reservation for that time slot.

They only make a certain number of spots open for online reservations. So now I'm personally waiting to get on board to try and make a reservation for 21!!

I'm on the May 9, 2009 sailing on Explorer. The specialty restaurants just became available today. I wanted to make reservations for my group for our wedding night. I made the first table of 6 people fine, after that I couldn't make another reservation for that time slot.

They only make a certain number of spots open for online reservations. So now I'm personally waiting to get on board to try and make a reservation for 21!!

I would contact RC, one of their wedding coordinators or my travel agent on this one...especially with a group of that size..not sure about the Explorer, but on the Liberty, it would take some creative arranging of the tables...to accommodate that many people all at one time, especially with others making reservations online, and others making them as they board...

I would contact RC, one of their wedding coordinators or my travel agent on this one...especially with a group of that size..not sure about the Explorer, but on the Liberty, it would take some creative arranging of the tables...to accommodate that many people all at one time, especially with others making reservations online, and others making them as they board...

I agree. I had a reservation at Portofino on the EX in Dec. I had made the reservation online. Once on the ship I was called and told I would have to change my reservation to any other day I liked b/c the restaurant was closed for a special party. One other time a gentleman walked in and wanted to make a reservation for 14 people and was told that was going to be difficult for the time he wanted. I do not know how he made out.

I would not wait until I got on the ship for a party that large. Since the online just opened for that date maybe you can get what you want.

We will be getting off when you are getting on. Have a wonderful cruise.

I'm a lowly Gold member with no access to the concierge so don't know if he is available on boarding. I would go personally to the restaurant straight away.

We're Diamond, but honestly I agree with you that you will have quicker access by going straight to the restaurant after boarding. We always make our first stop the DR after we drop our carry-ons in the stateroom, so we can see the location of our table. Any alternative venues on the ships always have (at least in my experience) employees stationed outside the entrance to help with reservations.

As for OP, remember to bring a copy of your confirmation if making the res online. Never had any problems in the past, but it is proof that you've already been billed. Personally, that's one thing about RC I don't like- their insisting to charge you immediately for online purchases(excursions,dining,gift packages,etc), rather than after you're onboard. That is one thing I prefer about Princess.

Archived