• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Renting a car in Cozumel

panaceacan

I am a first time cruiser and we are cruising on the Miracle departing Feb. 17. We were wondering about renting a car in Cozumel and exploring the island ourselves. My sister will be diving and 2 non-divers don't feel like shopping, etc. On the car rental site they ask which pier we will be docking at? Can anyone help me 1)about renting the car 2) the pier

Thanks a bunch

awesome. I guess we'll try that. Do all ships dock at the same pier? I read somewhere that there are 4 piers and the cruise ships dock at different piers. :cool:

Would you recommend booking in advance?

Thanks so much. We're leaving on Monday and I'm just trying to get all the last minute arrangements made. We've booked our excursions and dive trips for the other 3 ports.

I read several posts a while back about this topic. I think the links are provided above. I am not sure what you want to do in Cozumel, but having a rental car to do it would not be worth the risk of being involved in an intentionally set up fender bender and being put in a position to miss your ship.

I suspect that there are local tour providers who could meet you and drive you around the Island. Check the Cozumel pages in the ports of call section.

I have only been on two cruises, but one went through Cozumel. We had a nice time doing the tour based on the amazing race.

I have traveled through out the world, and know my way around pretty well. This would not be the place that I would rent a car. The streets are narrow, and parking is tight. There are plenty of places to be involved in an accident.

I mean no disrespect to the honest hard working people in Cozumel, but unfortunately a few corrupt ones make it hard for the rest.

We did this last year and it was one of our favorite port activities of any Caribbean cruise we've ever taken! It's really easy to rent a car - there are guys all over the port directing you to where you can rent one - and really easy to navigate, as there's only one paved road looping the island. There isn't much to do away from the ports and the actual town of Cozumel, but the coast is gorgeous and well worth the drive. And one piece of advice: have lunch at Coconuts! It's fabulous! It's all outdoors, with a bar under a huge thatched roof and tables with umbrellas perched in the sand, all at the top of a cliff overlooking the water and beach. Listening to the waves crash into the rocks as you eat is wonderful, the food's great, and there are some roaming animals - the owners' pets - that are loads of fun: we actually had a pair of chickens begging for table scraps!

we did a tour in Coz that we booked right at the main gates leading into the town. We docked at Puerta Maya pier. we just walked past all the shops and once you see Panchos, turn right going under the walk way and you will see peopel with signs offering passenger van tours for $25 per person. we had a great time and saw much of the island and got to go to the beach and shopping. (see my review of the Fantasy in the link below as well as picture of the van we toursed with) It was a great tour and i highly recommend it. Here's the link to the pier schedule in Coz. http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Cruiseships

As you exit the pier where Carnival docks in Cozumel, and through the variety of shops you will pass by an area where all the car rental companies are located.

On a previous trip to Cozumel we did rent a jeep and did some exploring on our own. It was very inexpensive and allowed us to go where we wanted when we wanted with no problems.

Some months ago there was a story on the boards about an American couple that had an accident and was treated as criminals by the local police.

It was a very minor fender bender and cost them about 1000 dollars in payoffs to the police as well as the car rental company.

Would strongly recommend that anyone thinking of renting a car in Cozomel go to the Cozomel boards and read it.

Carnival did nothing to help these people and it seems to be for a few dollars in cab fare not worth taking a chance.

Golfadj

I always rent a car in cozumel. If you rent from the right company you will get full coverage, make sure that says on your contract 0 liability deductable. I rentted from Less pay an american owned company. I met the owner and never had a pproblem... Just stay on the main road you can circle the Island on you own at your own speed and go to Mr. Sachos a nice Free beach with discount parasail rides and atv rides the ship wont tell you because they want you to book the exp. beaches and excursions as you round the Islan stop as the person above said at Coconuts, If you are brave leave your shirt for a free drink ( : bring a spare you will see what I mean when you get there just look at the photo album.. Also as you round the island you will find discount blankets at 2 dollars to 5 dollars and 5 shirts for 10 dollars good for souvineers for relatives..

Archived