• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

How far in advance do you book?

OhioTeacher227

My sister and I (and are husbands) are looking at trying to plan a 35th anniversary cruise for my parents, probably for the spring/summer of 2010. We would need three cabins-one for each couple. How far in advance do we need to book in order to have three cabins in the same vicinity? They don't need to be connecting or anything like that, but it would be nice to have them on the same level/side of the ship. The problem is that between my sister and myself, one or both of us may have a new baby or be pregnant, so a cruise might not end up being the best choice for our family at that time. We might need to look at booking a different type of vacation.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

I always books 6-12 months in advance, but I'm a compulsive planner. I used to worry that I was missing out on last-minute price drops. However, I got $200 bucks back on my recent RCCL cruise when the price dropped AFTER I'd already made the final payment. They still honored the lower price! So I don't really see any down-side to booking as early as possible.

Knows what ship, what cabin and where we want to go on the next cruise to book for us. Because there are specific cabins that we always want depending on the ship she usually has us booked within hours of the cruise opening up. That normally means 15-18 months in advance.

I always book when I decide what I want to do and that is usually 12 to 18 months in advance. That way you get the best choice of cabins. If prices go down, I can get the lower price. If they go up, I am not affected. If I have to cancel (never have), I get my deposit back.

Usually the window for refund is 60 -75 days depending on the cruise, but if youare going to use a TA she/he will be familiar with , how long you can go without incurring a penalty.

Andy

I don't want this to be a downer but the cruise line has restrictions on the number of weeks you can be pregnant and still allowed to cruise and also many of them will not take children under 6 months or 12 months depending on the itinerary. This is for your health and the health of the children because there are additional complications that the ships doctors cannot handle.

Archived