• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Princess or Royal Caribbean?

HGK

I am planning a 7 day cruise the beginning of May to the Mexican Riveria out of Los Angeles. It's between Sapphire Pricess and RCCL Mariner of the Seas. I would appreciate any feedback - I have taken RCCL on a 4 day cruise but never Princess. 60 yrs old, active, and likes good entertainment and good food. Thank you in advance. :)

I've never been on RCCL but was on the Sapphire in October and we had a wonderful time. The ship is beautiful, our room was clean and nice and the food was good. Don't know about the entertainment as we didn't go there but I saw lots of smiles on people leaving those areas. You will find lots of people in your age range too. I have some photos in a link in my signature if you would like to take a look.

We cruised on the Sapphire to Alaska and loved the ship and loved that there was so much going on at night. We did Anytime Dining, then would head to the Princess Theatre for the main show, then to Club Fusion for whatever was going on in there, then finally to Explorer's Lounge for the late show.

We definitely considered the Sapphire again when planning on a Mexican Riviera cruise.

What changed our minds was the fact of short port days. For example, Sapphire is in Cabo only until 2 pm, which meant we had to be back on board by 1:30. Mariner (another gorgeous ship with lots to do) stays in port until 6 pm. It's not that we plan on all-day excursions (in fact, the one we're taking in Cabo is only 3 hours), but we like to have a little more time. Plus we're not early risers, so arriving in port at 6 or 7 am does nothing for us.

Hope this helps.

While loyal Princess cruisers we found ourselves on a RCCL cruise last August due to a family situation. Never, let me repeat that never again! Without going into details I'll just speak to one of the things you said you are interested in "good food". You won't find any of that on RCCL. Let me rephrase that, we did not find any on our RCCL cruise. And, we are not foodies by any means but it was difficult to find anything that tasted good. The beef in both the dining room and at the buffet was just awful. :eek:Even simple things like hamburgers and hot dogs looked as if they had been cooked days in advance. The day I decided to try the Waldor Salad and discovered they put mustard in it :eek: was the day I decided it was possible to lose weight on a cruise.

Food about equal, nod to princess same for service. Princess has a few things that are a nice touch...milk and cookies, great pizza more options for food 24 hours a day.

The average age will be higher on Princess. Activities will be geared that way as well.

Princess is Premium line and RCL is contemporary(mass market).

Mariner of the Seas is a gorgeous ship with one of the best crews and the best service in the fleet. I've been on her twice, and wouldn't hesitate to cruise on her again.

It's been our opinion that Princess and RCI provide equivalent cruising experiences. There are some things that Princess does better, and other things that we prefer on RCI, but it all balances out.

Whichever you choose, have a great time!

Food about equal, nod to princess same for service. Princess has a few things that are a nice touch...milk and cookies, great pizza more options for food 24 hours a day.

The average age will be higher on Princess. Activities will be geared that way as well.

Princess is Premium line and RCL is contemporary(mass market).

You can not be serious. Princess in my opinion is no where near premium. Just got off the Crown last week. It did not compare to the Enchantment from RCCI.

They are both mass market. I have to say we have booked our next cruise with RCCI.

Better food, free ice cream alot of the little things were included W/ RCCI.

Just my opinion since it was an open thread.

While loyal Princess cruisers we found ourselves on a RCCL cruise last August due to a family situation. Never, let me repeat that never again! Without going into details I'll just speak to one of the things you said you are interested in "good food". You won't find any of that on RCCL. Let me rephrase that, we did not find any on our RCCL cruise. And, we are not foodies by any means but it was difficult to find anything that tasted good. The beef in both the dining room and at the buffet was just awful. :eek:Even simple things like hamburgers and hot dogs looked as if they had been cooked days in advance. The day I decided to try the Waldor Salad and discovered they put mustard in it :eek: was the day I decided it was possible to lose weight on a cruise.

Keep in mind that food is very subjective. What may be terrible to one person may be fine or delicious to another.

I had a terribly dried out piece of salmon on my Crown Princess cruise, so it can go both ways. I thought the food was fairly equal, and I've had good service and not so good on each line, too. We did find the pizza on Crown to be the best, and I stay away from the beef/burgers on all ships, because I know they'll be dried out. ;)

I am planning a 7 day cruise the beginning of May to the Mexican Riveria out of Los Angeles. It's between Sapphire Pricess and RCCL Mariner of the Seas. I would appreciate any feedback - I have taken RCCL on a 4 day cruise but never Princess. 60 yrs old, active, and likes good entertainment and good food. Thank you in advance. :)

Never been on Princess before, but have been on two week-long RCCL trips. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ruby has to offer in a couple of weeks, and I'll try and update at that time.

If you still are having trouble deciding, just book both.

We've been on Crown Princess and Mariner of the Seas and loved both. They were pretty comparable and so far our two favorite cruises.

As for the ship itself, we prefered RCCL, but both were gorgeous. It's just that Princess ships are divided into small areas while RCCL is all about big, open spaces (comparing the dining rooms, atriums, or theaters are good examples).

The service was great on both as was the food. The buffet area on the Mariner was better than Princess though.

We always get balcony cabins and prefered the Mariner in terms of layout. They are about the same size but you get a seating area on RCCL with a small closet vs. no seating area on Princess but a large closet.

I thought that the pool deck on Princess was a lot better (and we loved the freshwater), as was the adults only space on deck.

We thought that RCCL won the entertainment department hands down, but the ice skating show had a lot to do with that, so it might be a bit unfair (production shows were about the same on each line)

All in all we wouldn't hesitate to sail either line again, and look forward to doing so.

Good luck on deciding!

By all means give the Mariner a shot especially if you like the itinerary better.

Be very carefull about peoples comments about food....as was stated before its very subjective.

I feel the lines are very comparable and would not hesitiate to cruise either line.

The West coasters are quite excited to be getting the Mariner.

Princess ships are very traditional in design and do not have any of the WOW factor as does RCI.

Princess has fresh water pools....they also have 24hr dining.

I thought the entertainment and service was pretty equal.

I believe RCI is rolling out "My time Dining" across the fleet so if you like that it may be available when you sail.

Have fun whichever you choose.

Well you can't go wrong with Princess. We are only trying the Mariner of the Seas in June because Princess does not stay long in Cabo and we celebrated our daughters 21st birthday on the Diamond Princess Mexican Riviera so this time its her college graduation on the Royal Carib Mariner. We had a blast on the Diamond Princess though. Hope the Mariner will be a blast also.

We were on Mariner about a year and a half ago and on Sapphire's sister, Diamond Princess, for a Mex. Riviera cruise two years ago -- both were excellent cruises and great ships. I agree that the ships are, for the most part, more similar than different in terms of levels of service, food, amenities, etc. For me, it would come down to two things. First, having more time in ports would be nice. The Cabo stop on Diamond Princess was just about a waste given that we had to be back on board (via tender, no less) by 1:30. Additionally, I think Mariner stays in Puerto Vallarta a few hours longer, too (maybe until 8:00?). As I love that place, those extra hours would be nice. The second determinative factor for me would be if I could get a balcony cabin on Caribe Deck on the Sapphire for around the same price as a standard balcony cabin on Mariner. If I could, I think I would go with Princess. That double-sized balcony (half-covered, half open) is just way too luxurious to pass up, in my book.

In the end, of course, you'll have a fantastic time on either!

Was on Golden close to 5 years ago and EVERYTHING was PERFECT! Just sailed CB and now felt more comparable to a RCI we did on Splendour of Seas.

I like Princess for following:

* Less kids

* Anytime dining

* Better pizza - I love pizza!

* They don't harrass you for drinks on deck

* Better cabin stewards

* Freshwater pools

I like RCI because:

* Big, elegant open dining room

* Coffee is better

* Breakfast is better

* Wait staff is better

* Modern technology like acount accesss from T.V.

Just the opinion of wife and I. In end, I believe pretty comparable as others have stated, but we lean towards Princess due to lack of kids.

I admit that I have not been on a Princess ship ever, we are booked on the Diamond Princess this May to Alaska however. I will tell you tho that I have been on the Mariner of the Seas and it is a BEAUTIFUL boat!!!!!I would highly recommend the Mariner. They have a really nice ice skating show on board that we all enjoyed, minature golf, great speciality restaurants......just a really great ship!!!! You will not go wrong on the Mariner. Since you are posting this on the Princess thread you will probably get more PRO-Princess replys. Good luck with whichever ship you chose!

Wendy/Groveland, FL:D

Keep in mind that food is very subjective. What may be terrible to one person may be fine or delicious to another.

I had a terribly dried out piece of salmon on my Crown Princess cruise, so it can go both ways. I thought the food was fairly equal, and I've had good service and not so good on each line, too. We did find the pizza on Crown to be the best, and I stay away from the beef/burgers on all ships, because I know they'll be dried out. ;)

I agree that food can be very subjective. I have been on many RCCL ships and always was happy with the food.

I am currently booked on a RCC cruise. While I love the itinerary, it is 14 days repositioning on the Grandeur of the Sea. Due to the economy, I have an outside cabin. The price of the balcony is over double the price of my current cabin. I was looking on line and found an interesting Princess cruise only 10 days on the Ruby. I am not new to cruising however, I have sailed 3 times on Royal and never on Princess. I have been on other lines and I like them all. I don't know if I should cancel the RCC cruise and book Princess. I will be able to purchase a mini suite cabin. Has anyone been on the Ruby....how is the spa area........and is there a pool inside? I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Dorene

I am currently booked on a RCC cruise. While I love the itinerary, it is 14 days repositioning on the Grandeur of the Sea. Due to the economy, I have an outside cabin. The price of the balcony is over double the price of my current cabin. I was looking on line and found an interesting Princess cruise only 10 days on the Ruby. I am not new to cruising however, I have sailed 3 times on Royal and never on Princess. I have been on other lines and I like them all. I don't know if I should cancel the RCC cruise and book Princess. I will be able to purchase a mini suite cabin. Has anyone been on the Ruby....how is the spa area........and is there a pool inside? I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Dorene

Without looking at the itineries and with what you said I'd probably go with the Ruby because she is new...the Grandeur is old and small. I love those mini suites on Princess.

Thanks

Dorene

I'm an RCI fan, yet in this case, I would say to choose the Ruby (if the price is right, of course). Grandeur is an older ship, without all the amenities of Mariner or the newer RCI ships. Ruby is brand new!

If you like kids of all ages- go on Mariner. If you like fewer kids do Princess.

I have a child but I don't do Disney every time because I like a more sophisticated experience. We just did Independence of the Seas off season and it only had 200 kids. My son had a ball. However, the ship screams kiddy park. That was the vibe I got. I felt the same way about Radiance of the Seas (although it was Easter). Food was very good on RC and Independence was spotless. Pools were way overcrowded. Not enough deck space for 4000 people. Never again.

My favorite cruise lines are Celebrity and Princess. Both have lovely quiet interiors. Princess has better pools. Celebrity has better service. Food is equal. Drink prices are cheaper on Princess.

I sailed Sapphire in Alaska and it is a lovely ship but I didn't like it as much as Grand Princess.

I agree that food can be very subjective. I have been on many RCCL ships and always was happy with the food.
Taste yes but quality no! The RCI food taste fine but is is all cheap food. No good cuts of meat. On my last 21 day Grand Princess cruise we had lobster three times. On RCI's 16 day Mariner had lobster once, one tail that you had to use a magnifying glass to see.:eek: However the Mariner is a much better ship, entertainment is great especially the Ice show. Princess ships don't have enough public space for the amount of people onboard you always feel crowed. So it depends what you are looking for.

I've been on both. I like Royal but prefer Princess. I think overall food and service are simialr. I like Princess pizza more and the specialty restaurants and the freashwater pools.

It's nice to view account on tv on Royal. Lots of bells and whistles like ice skating rink, rock climbing wall etc.

I would let price and itinerary help make the final decision.

Archived