Angled Balconies? All of Them?

crusingsquid

Hello- I have never cruised w/Princess and I am considering going on the Caribbean Princess. I read that the balconies seem to angled so that many of the balconies above you are looking down on yours. :( To me that is a little weird. Are there any balconies that are not set up like this on this ship? I have never seen this before. Thanks in advance. Also, is there concierge service on Princess Lines?:rolleyes: Thanks for any info you can give.

Hello- I have never cruised w/Princess and I am considering going on the Caribbean Princess. I read that the balconies seem to angled so that many of the balconies above you are looking down on yours. :( To me that is a little weird. Are there any balconies that are not set up like this on this ship? I have never seen this before. Thanks in advance. Also, is there concierge service on Princess Lines?:rolleyes: Thanks for any info you can give.

Emerald deck balconies are fully covered.

Dolphin deck balconies are fully exposed.

Caribe deck balconies are half exposed.

Baja deck are covered,still can look down on others.

Aloha deck are covered, still can look down on others.

Riviera deck are covered, still can look down on others.

There are some upper deck exceptions that are exposed but not many.

Just remember, even if you are on a supposedly "private" covered balcony on Baja or Aloha decks, if you can see those below you they can also look up and see you. I would never presume that any of these balconies are private.

Emerald deck balconies are fully covered. -- these are the 12 mini-suites towards the aft, six on each side of the ship.

Dolphin deck balconies are fully exposed. -- mini-suites only

Caribe deck balconies are half exposed. -- standard balcony cabin but large balcony that's half-covered, half-uncovered. These cabins have the largest balconies, even bigger than mini-suite balconies

Baja deck are covered,still can look down on others. -- standard balcony cabin with smallish balcony

Aloha deck are covered, still can look down on others. -- standard balcony cabin with smallish balcony

Riviera deck are covered, still can look down on others. -- standard balcony cabin with smallish balcony

Great list but I thought I would add a few details.

Thank you all for the help. I don't plan on doing anything crazy on the balcony but it seems some of the balconies you can look directly down on them and there is absolutely no privacy to those balconies. To me that is not a balcony cabin I would want. When you say covered, what does that mean?

Thank you all for the help. I don't plan on doing anything crazy on the balcony but it seems some of the balconies you can look directly down on them and there is absolutely no privacy to those balconies. To me that is not a balcony cabin I would want. When you say covered, what does that mean?

Covered by the steel deck above even with the railing on your balcony.

Covered means that the deck above you overhangs your balcony.

IMO, the Caribe balconies are the best of both worlds, and I always try to book on that deck. They are about 9 feet deep, from the wall of the ship to railing, and about half of it is covered by the overhang. So you have some protection from weather and sun.

You'd be surprised, but there are a lot of folks who like these balconies. This is especially true of sun lovers. I had a dolphin deck mini on the Grand. At first I was leery of having this balcony, but then found it really wasn't that bad. Although I prefer the emerald deck minis, I wouldn't let the uncovered balcony keep me from cruising.

Got it. So, for a "normal" type balcony cabin that no other balcony can look down upon you would suggest one of these :

Emerald deck balconies are fully covered. -- these are the 12 mini-suites towards the aft, six on each side of the ship.

Caribe deck balconies are half exposed. -- standard balcony cabin but large balcony that's half-covered, half-uncovered. These cabins have the largest balconies, even bigger than mini-suite balconies

Am I right?:confused:

Here's a pic I found online that shows how the balconies terrace out. Aloha and Bravo deck balconies (and Riviera above the Aloha on the ships with that extra deck) are all standard size and covered. You can see the Caribe deck balconies which are half exposed. The part that is covered is the same depth as the balconies above. Below, and to the right edge of the ship in the picture, are the Dolphin Deck mini-suites. What you see is what you get. The door from the balcony to the cabin is right below the railing on the Caribe balconies above.

cbbalconies.jpg

Got it. So, for a "normal" type balcony cabin that no other balcony can look down upon you would suggest one of these :

Am I right?:confused:

No, You are NOT right!

The Dolphin cabin balconies can be seen from above, so can most of the balcony areas on the Caribe deck (balconies are half-covered/half-open).

The Emerald mini-suite balconies should not be able to be seen.

The balconies on Lido, Aloha and Baja decks (and Riviera if the ship has it) are completely covered and should not be visible from above - but the railings all have glass partitions facing the sea so people on Caribe and Dolphin balconies can turn around and see into the balcony areas of decks above them.

This is true for "standard" cabins on the port and starboard sides of the boat. Balconies at the stern of the ships are different...

DanJ- Yes, that is what I was talking about.... If I were above those people's balcony, I would feel like I was invading on their privacy!!!!!

AV8tor- Thanks for clarification.... I just think the set up is so odd...

By the way, are you a pilot..???

I don't think it's odd at all. If you want sun on your balcony, you have to get one of the uncovered ones and put up with being visible from other balconies above. If you want shade and/or more privacy, get one on one of the upper decks...

Yes, I'm a pilot!

Archived