• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

When first entering Greece on a cruise,do you need to have your passport stamped?

ontheweb

I ask because at the following website:

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/genvisa.htm

I read:

<<US, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and most non-EU Europeans receive mandatory entry and exit stamps in their passports and can stay, as tourists, for ninety days. Note that such nationals arriving by flight or boat from another EU country, may not always be stamped in at minor ports so it's best to make sure this is done in order to avoid unpleasantness on exit.>>

I ask because at the following website:

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/genvisa.htm

I read:

<<US, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and most non-EU Europeans receive mandatory entry and exit stamps in their passports and can stay, as tourists, for ninety days. Note that such nationals arriving by flight or boat from another EU country, may not always be stamped in at minor ports so it's best to make sure this is done in order to avoid unpleasantness on exit.>>

We traveled on US passport, I will assume anyone from EU or any of the British commonwealth will be similar. We did a one day port stop last summer, no stamp, no check, no passport for that matter. The ship steward secured them all the day after we sailed and returned them a day before our last port. Thus debates about carrying your passport into port were mute as we didn't have them :D

Depends to the port before or after:

subject your last or next port was an Israeli, Croatian, Montenegro, Turkish or Eyptian port:

might be - but might be arranged by the crew: collecting passports and do it for all.

last port: you are entering the EU

next port: you are leaving the EU

I remember that from Rhodes, Greece to Alexandria, Egypt the Non-EU-citizen got a Exit-stamp for the EU and when we re-entered from Tripolis, Libya to Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy we got one again for re-entry the EU.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived