• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Conquest or Freedom

stwr cruiser

I'm so confused! We are starting to think about our vacation this summer. My question is which would you prefer the Conquest or Freedom (I know they are the same class ship)? The Conquest is close enough we could drive to port. I hate to fly and rack up baggage fees. I really want to visit Key West again but the Conquest only has one sailing this summer that we could go on. Decisions Decisions. If we decided to go on Conquest Caribbean instead of Bahama sailing. What is Ocho Rios like?

Steph

I'm so confused! We are starting to think about our vacation this summer. My question is which would you prefer the Conquest or Freedom (I know they are the same class ship)? The Conquest is close enough we could drive to port. I hate to fly and rack up baggage fees. I really want to visit Key West again but the Conquest only has one sailing this summer that we could go on. Decisions Decisions. If we decided to go on Conquest Caribbean instead of Bahama sailing. What is Ocho Rios like?

Steph

the Conquest doesn't go to Ocho Rios, it goes to MoBay. Me personally, I'd take the drive over the airfare. depending on how many people. get a hotel the night before in Galveston and you can usually park free for the week. Whether you take the western or eastern is the big choice. We are already booked on the Eastern in September, but would do the western again in a heartbeat.

Freedom has an 'all day' stop in Key West! :) Freedom is one of Carnival's newer ships with all the 'bells and whistles'!:D

Ocho Rios is GREAT! I can personally recommend a tour.. Try going to know jamaica dot com.. They will customize a tour to your liking!:p

Truthfully, I have never sailed on Conquest, but have been on Triumph, Liberty and Freedom.. Loved 'em all...:cool:

Just got off the Freedom western about 15 hours ago.

The ships are exactly the same, except Freedom is newer.

I would NOT make a decision based on the two ships.

Itinerary should be the decision.

Freedom's all day stop in Key West is GREAT. we were able to see Truman's White House (steps from the pier), Hemingway's house, the Butterfly conservatory, the southernmost point, walk back up Duval St., hit a couple of bars, stop at CVS and pick up some 12 packs of soda, get back on board, with an hour of port time still to go.

Freedom's lengthy stop in Grand Cayman is also great.

We did a private tour to Sting Ray City (amazing), snorkleing a nearby reef (OK) and to Rum Point Beach for lunch and an hour and 1/2 or so, beach time.

Got dropped back off at the pier with 25 minutes to spare, so no shopping. (which was OK by us)

Freedom's stop in Ocho Rios for us was a waste.

Unless you take one of the 50 various combinations of ship's excursions to Dunn's River Falls and fill in the blank, there was nothing much to do there.

We tried to get off the ship and just walk around the town a bit and the stories you hear about getting mobbed by pushy cabbies, vendors, etc. doesn't even do these people justice.

We were back on the ship in less than 2 hours, basically enjoying another sea day. (and Iron Man on the big screen by the pool)

The only people we talked to that night who said they had enjoyed their time in Ocho Rios were some people who had taken a catamaran excursion to the falls and the people who took excursions to the new Mystic Mountain and bobsled rides.

Everyone else complained about how overcrowded Dunn's River falls was.

(gee like you couldn't predict that, when literally EVERY excursion, at some point, went there. LOL....)

Bill

I think you will find that the Conquest is probably the most popular ship on this forum. Just check out the Conquest Crazies thread of 9000 or so pages..... I will be taking my 4th Conquest cruise on the western itinerary next month. I love this ship and this itinerary. I actually like Jamaica, but I would only do a Conquest excursion there. I LOVE Grand Cayman and the stingrays. It's a very "classy" island. Cozumel is probably the most popular Caribbean destination....something for everyone there.

I do have a Freedom cruise booked for Nov., but the reason was to go to some new ports that we have never visited yet. Personally, I would not cross the street to go to Nassau again, but the other ports intrigued me....San Juan, Antigua, Tortola.... But if I could only choose one cruise for the year, I would have to go with the Conquest. I think you hear less complaints and more praise about the Conquest than any other ship. As for my DH and me, we think of the Conquest as our home away from home. :cool:

I was on the Freedom over the Christmas holidays and really loved the ship and also the 8 day western itinerary. I would do it again in a hearbeat, but more than likely I'll be looking at the eastern run next time around.

We were on the Conquest a few years ago and loved it. It is probably even nicer now since it has been to drydock. We went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Montego Bay. We will be going on the Freedom this summer and glad to hear it is laid out like the Conquest. My parents were on the Freedom Jan 08 and they enjoyed it very much. It seems like it does come down to the itinerary for you and whether you want to drive or fly. We are taking the 8 day Freedom cruise this year going to 5 ports, 3 of which we have not been to. I am sure either ship will be great for you.

Archived