• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Our February Eurodam Cruise

Saphire

We just returned from our first HAL cruise on the Eurodam. We have cruised RCL and NCL in the past. We are sold on this classy and dignified line, and it just felt different on this ship.

My Favorite Things:

--The Crew: I was somewhat overwhelmed with the friendliness of the staff. Each and every person we came in contact with was pleasant. I cannot think of one person that didn't extend a smile or a greeting. Service at the pools and the bars was excellent, and I never ever got the feeling that I was disappointing anyone if I didn't want a drink. I think the description of 'unobtrusive' is right on target. I never felt hounded but if I wanted something, someone was always nearby, with their eyes up. And the staff did not roam around pushing melted drinks of the day in souvenir glasses. How refreshing.

--The Cabin: We had a veranda cabin (VC). The sheets were amazing! The beds were so comfortable, the pillows so fluffy. The shower was the best ever. As throughout the ship, there was plenty of beautiful wood in the cabin design. There were hidden perks in the room...the table moves up and down, and there were drawers under the sofa and under the bed. The robes were such a nice touch.

--The Food: I didn't have one french fry, any chicken, hot dogs, or a single sandwich all week. Yay! What I did have was amazing. Seafood galore...tuna, mahi-mahi, silk snapper, flounder, lobster, shrimp, salmon. Duck, prime rib, veal, lamb. And the soups were so wonderful, as well as the desserts, and the coffee! The service in AYW was superb and we loved our waitstaff. We tried Tamarind twice, once for dinner, once for lunch. All the great things you have heard are true. The ladies are demure and such gracious servers. What an experience!

--The Cruise Director: Susan Wood. What a professional! She is classy, experienced, bright and funny. And she has such a pleasing voice. It was a joy to hear her voice making announcements (vs. other cruise directors that assault the ears).

--The Music: We love classical music and found 'Adagio Strings' playing most nights outside the Explorer's Lounge. Many people going to dinner pass by as they enter the dining room. Such a lovely way to start a great meal.

We found the jazz band (the Neptune's) at the Ocean Bar to be excellent. This is a great spot to dance. We spent a lot of time there and noticed two songs that inspired people to dance the most...'What a Wonderful World' and 'Fools Rush In'. These guys are good.

--Half Moon Cay: Yes, maybe it was because we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day with clear blue skies, cool aqua water and 80 degree temperatures, but this place was paradise. We rented floating mats and spent a long time drifting around in these perfect conditions. And then we fell asleep in a hammock. Oh my.

--The Spa: We purchased a day pass and thoroughly enjoyed the pool and the heated loungers. The lighting was low, the music was Asian Ambient and there was the sound of water tumbling gently over rocks. One of the most relaxing things we have done in years.

A Few Disappointments, (but only a few):

--Walking through the Lido with a tray full of food. Very, very chaotic and confusing. If you go early for breakfast it is fine (food is great). But after 8:00am, we would go to the dining room for breakfast/lunch to avoid the madness.

--Walking through the Lido to get to Deck 10. Poor design. Way too much congestion when it becomes a passageway as well.

--HOW did I miss the fact that the cabins don't have a clock? I have read the boards for months, and never picked up on that. Bring your travel clock!

--Missing Tuks and Caicos due to high winds.

Random things:

I loved the lighting throughout the ship. Sconces, recessed lights and other diffused lighting made this ship so elegant. Also the furniture and colors were subdued and gorgeous. I think I spent 15 minutes one evening studying the fabrics, colors and and furnishings of the Silk Den, it was so, so pretty.

The elevators were fast and plentiful, and it is a great place to exchange some light banter with your fellow passengers. Why is everyone so happy in the elevator? I will miss those happy faces when I return to real-life elevators.

If you get some coffee at the Lido, watch for Reynold. He will sing to you and tell you his 'joke of the day'.

The music played at the pools is from the 60's and 70's...Elton John, The Beatles, Billy Joel, The Supremes. I wish there were some 80's and 90's music included in there.

We celebrated an anniversary and our waitstaff came to our table with a cake and sang a lovely anniversary song in Indonesian. They had us hold hands as is customary and four of them serenaded us. Such a sweet and surprising touch, we will never forget it.

We were really impressed with this ship and with this cruiseline, and finally understand why you all love it so much!

We were really impressed with this ship and with this cruiseline, and finally understand why you all love it so much!

Oh my. I'm afraid you've been bitten and have a severe case of the HAL bug!

I'm sorry to tell you there is no cure, but treatment of the symptoms consists of frequent cruises on a Holland America Lines ship.

Lesser attacks may sometimes be ameliorated by visiting the HAL pages here on Cruise Critic. :p

Welcome to the Holland America Lines Mariner Society!

Hi All - We were on that cruise also and Saphire summed up our thoughts exactly. It was a great week with great people.

The congestion on the lido deck is not found on the other HAL ships we have been on (Maasdam, Statendam, etc). I also thought there were other decks that were confusing to get around on.

One of the best parts of being a repeat HAL cruiser is meeting the staff again. Two of our favorite beverage stewards, Heidee and Enrico, were on board. It was good to see them. It was our third sailing with them!

Also, the entertainment in the lounge was outstanding. The singers and dancers were exceptional with productions that we haven't seen on other HAL ships. Justin Miller, a classical guitarist, was great. We could have listened to him all night. The comedian, Rick Corso, was really funny. The amazing acrobats (they were so graceful that there has to be a better title for them!) Ilia and Valerie, were spellbinding.

Saphire, welcome to the HAL lovers. It only gets better with each sailing!

Terry

Thanks everyone! I would love to try a different ship next time in the HAL fleet, that will be fun to explore.

Thanks for the review. How was everyone dressed @ meals. What was your take on casual? Sailing in April and worried about dress codes :(

There was no 'code' to the dress code. I saw a small minority dressed very casually on formal night, and they were still greeted with a smile.

I wore casual dresses, (like sundresses), and sandals on 'smart casual' night and felt there were people dressed fancier and many that were more informal than me. You won't need to worry about those nights at all. Have a wonderful time!

We did not plan to get off in San Juan. We used the day to enjoy the ship and also purchased a day pass at the spa.

We had planned a private excursion in St. Thomas on a sailboat, but they called us that morning and canceled due to high winds. We quickly went to the shore excursion desk and asked about availability. We chose the Trunk Bay tour, which turned out well. It was a pleasant ferry ride over to St. John, and it was fun seeing the pretty homes dotting the coastline. We got into open shuttle buses for the 10 minute ride to Trunk Bay. We spent over an hour on the beach. It was a gorgeous day, the water was wonderful and it was a beautiful spot.

The only part I didn't like was lining up for the ferry on the way back. It got congested and crowded, and I dislike feeling hemmed in. Otherwise, it was a great tour.

Saphire,

I am so excited after your recent review. I was already excited but this put it over the top. Thanks also to the people who chimed in to say they were on the same cruise and loved it.

My hubby and I are thrilled to try this new ship.........

Rabbitlady:0

Archived