• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Staying near the Vatican?

MSMcDuffy

We're looking for a hotel/B&B in Rome for 2 nights after our cruise this coming June.

I've been looking on Venere and am overwhelmed with the multitude of choices. The most reasonably priced and best reviewed places are right around the Vatican or a little bit north of there. Besides being convenient for when visiting the Vatican/St Peter's (which we want to do), it seems rather far from all the other historical landmarks and further away from the airport for when we leave. We also want to see the Colosseum for sure and Forum & Trevi Ftn would be nice to see, too.

We won't be able to walk too far because we have a senior and a 7 yr old in our group. So I guess my question is: Is the Vatican area super crowded and is it a hassle to leave the area to visit the other parts of Rome? And do you know if the Vatican would be more busy on a Sunday (day our cruise ends)? If so, we'd probably go there on Monday instead. Do you think it would be easier to stay near Colosseum and transport to Vatican or stay near Vatican and transport to Colosseum? (I know it's a dumb question-sorry!)

Thanks for any advice!

First, you should know that the Vatican museum (including the Sistine Chapel) is closed on Sundays except for the last Sunday of the month, when it is generally packed. It also tends to be very crowded on Mondays, because most other museums in Rome are closed on that day. I'd suggest you prepurchase tickets online for the Vatican on the Monday, that way you'll have a lesser line to wait in.

As to location, the Vatican would not be my choice. It's not centrally located. Granted, it's not really a "hassle" to leave the area via taxi, bus, or metro, but it does add that extra step.

I'd normally suggest staying in the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area, where there are lovely strolls and restaurants in the evenings. I still might suggest them UNLESS you plan to use the Metro to get around -- there aren't any stops very close by these areas. However, you can get a bus or a taxi. Depending on where you stay, it's about equidistant to the Colosseum and the Vatican.

There are some good hotels near the Colosseum and Forum area. I stayed there in December. It's convenient to the Metro, which I used to reach the Vatican, although you can also get a bus directly to St Peters..... And it has some very good and less touristy (i.e., expensive) restaurants. Just make sure of the location. Some say "Colosseum area" when they are really closer to San Giovanni Laterano, which is not exactly close.

When we were in Rome about 25 years ago we stayed in a Catholic convent. Very plain accomodations but the meals and the kindness were first class. We had 2 children ages 3&5 and the dear Sisters took care of them one day while we toured. We always remember this as one of our most "unusal" places we have stayed especially for my husband:D

cruisemom42 - Thank you for the pointers! Yah, something in my gut says to not stay near that Vatican. I knew about the Museum being shut on Sundays but not the Sistine Chapel. Good idea to buy the Vatican tix online beforehand.

Bowie MeMe - I have looked on a website called Monastery Stays (just started up in '06) and we haven't ruled out a convent or monastery. But a couple things making me a little apprehensive about them are that I heard they might not speak English very well and there are not any traveler reviews for most of them. I know we don't plan on spending too much time in our room but since we are squeezing 4 people into our ship cabin, we'd prefer to have a place in Rome with a little more space.

We stayed at a hotel near the Vatican run by nuns (Domus Aurelia). It was a nice hotel (clean and we had a huge room, we booked a triple to be sure and have twin beds) for 95 EUR. And they did have a small continental breakfast for purchase. I then purchased a Ho Ho 48 hr pass, figuring to walk the 10 blocks to the pickup point and use the Ho Ho as our mode of transport around Rome, but my friend was in such pain and couldn't walk, so we ended up having to take taxis. So not sure we really saved much, but it was quiet in the evenings and really quite nice hotel with our own balcony. Not many restaurants in that area. We did shop at a small grocery store for one meal, then another hotel next door prepared breakfast, lunch & dinner (not a restaurant) you had to be willing to eat whatever they had prepared that day. We went there for dinner one night, and it wasn't bad for 15 EUR pp we had salad, pasta, and a beef dish with a bottle of wine and a bottle of water, then fruit for desert.

I think if I were to go again, I'd book something closer to the sights you could walk to, and just take a taxi to the Vatican when you want to go there.

You could also look into renting an apartment, that would give you plenty of room. Be sure to check the space allocation, as rooms in Europe are usually very small. I'd compare them to closets.

We're looking for a hotel/B&B in Rome for 2 nights after our cruise this coming June.

I've been looking on Venere and am overwhelmed with the multitude of choices. The most reasonably priced and best reviewed places are right around the Vatican or a little bit north of there. Besides being convenient for when visiting the Vatican/St Peter's (which we want to do), it seems rather far from all the other historical landmarks and further away from the airport for when we leave. We also want to see the Colosseum for sure and Forum & Trevi Ftn would be nice to see, too.

We won't be able to walk too far because we have a senior and a 7 yr old in our group. So I guess my question is: Is the Vatican area super crowded and is it a hassle to leave the area to visit the other parts of Rome? And do you know if the Vatican would be more busy on a Sunday (day our cruise ends)? If so, we'd probably go there on Monday instead. Do you think it would be easier to stay near Colosseum and transport to Vatican or stay near Vatican and transport to Colosseum? (I know it's a dumb question-sorry!)

Thanks for any advice!

there is always the hop on and off busses that go all over rone from the vatican to the forum and all diff stop's in rome about 15 euro all day chec what hotels on the web sit they stop at, we stayed 1 mile away at the villa capanya, got hot full breakfest with room very res. june will be a little crowded we always go in nov.

We often stay at Fraterna Domus. They have good, clean rooms with shower that will accomodate 1-4 people. More than once two of us have been put in a room that had four beds. Fraterna Domus is just off Piazza Novana-right beside the river and the bridge. It is run by a religious order. We highly recommend it. IF you do go, ask one of the sisters to let you into the 15th century private church that is attached. If you do a google you will find them.

Archived