• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Mid June Alaska land/cruise clothing?

cruise1bob

Our 31 anniversary cruise to Alaska, we were too late to book last year, but made it this year finally. We are curious what we should pack for our 11 day cruise tour of Alaska in mid June. Can some one offer suggestions please. Thanks. Fairbanks to south bound Celebrity cruise.

Layers, Layers, Layers. It probably won't be colder than the 30's or warmer than close to 90 in Alaska and it will either be raining all day or sunny all day or some combination thereof!:D Now, that really helps, doesn't it??!! No, seriously, you don't need heavy coats, just think a T-shirt (take both long and short sleese), a sweatshirt or something else in fleece and then a waterproof outside jacket. On your "bottom" - maybe silk longjohns (or not), jeans or fleece pants and then have waterproof pants to put over that. You don't want the jeans to get wet - they take forever to dry. Also, be sure to buy the waterproofing spray for your shoes (I do leather walking shoes). Take gloves and a knit hat for the glacier sailing day. Actually, I used one of those thingies that covers your ears in Glacier Bay last year as it was a sunny day and just needed protection from the wind on my ears. (Only problem was that my hair "hurt" after having it on for 8 hours!:)

Post this same question on the Alaska board under Ports of Call. There are many knowledgable people over there.

I agree layers, No big coats. We went in late may and it was about 4o degrees and raining in skagway, the rest of the trip was very warm. we wore jeans and tank tops with wind jackets tied around our waist ( just in case) I took a couple of wind suits, they come in real handy for layering, in the mornings we would go to the outside cafe and eat and have coffee sitting in the sunshine, most of the time it was with short sleeves on! have fun!:)

Archived