• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Flights to Venice

lawk

Lawk,

We are booked on Delta to Venice - Our flight leaves June 11th and we arrive in Venice morning of June 12th. We board the ship at noon on the 12th and spend overnight aboard the ship - we sail at 5:00 p.m. on the 13th.

Please DO NOT try to fly in the day your ship sails. I have seen to many people lose their luggage or have their flights cancelled or delayed. It is not worth being a nervous wreck when or if you arrive. In my case if my luggage is delayed it still has the morning of the 13th to arrive before we sail at 5 p.m.

You are taking a big chance, yes I know hotels are expensive but take if from someone who learned the hard way - a night at your embarkation city is well worth it.

Karen

I agree with the previous poster that its too risky to fly-in the day of a cruise due to possible delays, cancellations, lost luggage, etc. But, if you must you might want to look for a non-stop flight which helps put the odds in your favor. We personally like USAIR's non-stop flight from Phila to Venice, but there are a few others.

Hank

I'm flying from Rhode Island. And while I can get an overnight flight out of Phila. arriving early AM (9AM), I also chose to book a pre-cruise night. To be on safe side; & so I'll explore. For me, the problem with air is disembarkation day. Only 6:15am & 8AM flights available! So, will do 1 night post-cruise as well. I would have loved to head right home, but...sigh....will have to spend 1 more night in Venice this trip.

Has anyone flown into Venice from North America the same day the cruise departs?

If you live in the departure city and have a non-stop flight into Venice ( Atlanta/Delta and Philly/USAir, there may be others ) I think your odds are pretty good to get in and catch the ship.

Unless weather is really horrendous, international flights could be delayed ( ours was almost 2 hours due to thunderstorms out of phill ), but rarely canceled as it wrecks havoc with their schedules.

The common wisdom as most here have said is to fly in a day early. Saves you lots of grief if luggage or plane cancellations cause you to slip your arrival a day. Simply not worth it in my humble opinion when you factor the cost of the cruise, airfare, etc. The cost of an extra day in Venice runs between 150 and up depending on what you book and how you eat. Well worth the expenditure to enjoy the city for an extra day and to gurantee you dont' miss the boat :D

I'm flying from Rhode Island. And while I can get an overnight flight out of Phila. arriving early AM (9AM), I also chose to book a pre-cruise night. To be on safe side; & so I'll explore. For me, the problem with air is disembarkation day. Only 6:15am & 8AM flights available! So, will do 1 night post-cruise as well. I would have loved to head right home, but...sigh....will have to spend 1 more night in Venice this trip.

You have my sympathy!:rolleyes:

Archived