• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Sea Trek Experience - Labadee

Has anyone tried this excursion? My husband and son (18) -- both total newbies at this -- are thinking about it. I assume we would have to purchase a driver ticket ($95) and a passenger ticket ($29). I apologize for my ignorance, but is there a way that each of them can get a crack at driving? And what exactly does the guide do? Is it his/her job just to make sure that the group stays together? I can't imagine how one could hear any sort of narration, as they would on a walking tour, for example.

It's funny you would ask about this today - my DH and I were just talking about our experience with the Sea Treks last night at dinner. We did this excursion back in 2005 - and DH mentioned just last night that it still is, to this day, one of his favorite all-time excursions. We both had our own Sea Trek - and we both had a blast! :D

The guide didn't do a lot of narration - other than at the beginning - he made sure we all knew how to drive the thing. Then, he was our leader - and it was basically a "follow the leader" as we flew through the waves. Too much fun - did I mention that I already?! :D The guide would be first, and we were then instructed to follow him, single file - so as to not damage coral and other marine life. He was very strict about staying in his path.

There were a few times where we would stop - and allow all members of the group to catch up - and the guide would give a bit of narration about the beach we were in front of, or some other little bit of trivia.... but again, not much talking - more guiding.

If you can do this, my personal recommendation would be for both your DH and your son to get their own Sea Treks....it really is more fun doing the driving, and I think your son would have 10x more fun driving his own than sitting behind his dad. JMO, of course.... ;)

And did I mention again how much fun this was? :) I did? Oh sorry - but it really WAS fun! I felt like I was flying! :D

Sherri

If you're not into the 'follow the leader" thing, do a waverunner excursion somewhere else! Hubby did it, and spent most of his time waiting for the slowpokes to catch up to the front of the line, so he spent a good deal of time just sitting there.

Next cruise, we went to a beach (on our own) and he just rented a waverunner from a vendor on the beach. He had 45 minutes or so to do his "own thing"--he really enjoyed that!

I didn't know there were private vendors, as I thought Labadee was strictly an RCCL operation. Are these folks easy to find? And are they (and the equipment) reliable? Any idea as to cost?

I believe that they are referring to other ports. The Sea Trek is the only wave runner in Labadee but at other ports of call there will be other opportunities to rent a wave runner if you go to a beach and rent from a private vendor. That would also be my recommendation. I am not all for the follow the leader stuff.

Archived