• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Buy pesos!

Matsonbrat

At your first port, buy pesos at a bank for the best exchange rate, use them to buy at all ports instead of dollars as you get gipped by the sellers and what they will give you in exchange and then on top of that problem you now must dicker over the final price. With pesos you only have to get to the final price and will probably end up saving enough to justify it. I found starting at 50% and going up no further then about 65% of the 1st asking price to be fair to me and what I thought it was probably worth. Banks buy back at only a little less then what you bought for also.

Learning some Spanish served me well when asking directions to either a back or a pharmacy, or for that matter any other desired destination.

Had a prearranged service pick us up and take us all over Acapulco for 4 plus hours for $30 a head. At bottom of gangplank I also saw a stand for the same for $25, but probably bigger vans. We used Pink Ladies service and had Maria Carranza's husband Oscar. Very pleased.

Best prices we found were in Zihau...Did not eat ashore and we know one who did who wished they had not later....

Also in Zihau don't miss the guy right on the beach area shop row selling walk a way beer of 4 choices at $1. each. I kept walking back and forth pass him several times..

At your first port, buy pesos at a bank for the best exchange rate, use them to buy at all ports instead of dollars as you get gipped by the sellers and what they will give you in exchange and then on top of that problem you now must dicker over the final price. With pesos you only have to get to the final price and will probably end up saving enough to justify it. I found starting at 50% and going up no further then about 65% of the 1st asking price to be fair to me and what I thought it was probably worth. Banks buy back at only a little less then what you bought for also.

Learning some Spanish served me well when asking directions to either a back or a pharmacy, or for that matter any other desired destination.

Had a prearranged service pick us up and take us all over Acapulco for 4 plus hours for $30 a head. At bottom of gangplank I also saw a stand for the same for $25, but probably bigger vans. We used Pink Ladies service and had Maria Carranza's husband Oscar. Very pleased.

Best prices we found were in Zihau...Did not eat ashore and we know one who did who wished they had not later....

Also in Zihau don't miss the guy right on the beach area shop row selling walk a way beer of 4 choices at $1. each. I kept walking back and forth pass him several times..

We always use pesos when we are down there :)

Most places in PV still charge the 10/1 ratio and we don't blame them.....I know many places here in Canada that offer USD at par....it makes up for having to exchange then at the bank,

Our first port is Cabo San lucas--where is the bank to get the pesos? Is that a better deal than an ATM-same port?

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on how much you are withdrawing, the ATM may be your best bet. Check with what ATMs have no fee or minimal fee depending on what bank you have at home. The fee is less with those. But the exchange rate is very good with all ATMs. The fee is not that big if you withdraw about $300 worth or more. I think the fee is fixed and not based on a percentage of what you draw out. So if you only take out $50 worth, the fee will be a larger percentage of what you are taking out than if you took out a larger amount. It is not that much different than the fee in the USA for an ATM that is not your bank's. We went to Mex Riviera in January and the exchange rate was 13.5 to one at that time, but they are well aware of the current exchange rates and I didnt find any who used the old 10:1 rate. They have calculators and will use approximately the present exchange rate, jacking up the price so you won't save using pesos. The only time you may save money using pesos is if you go to a place that locals go to or bus or taxi....but at touristy places, like Senor Frogs or gift shops, they will not give you much savings by using pesos. If in the future the dollar weakens and the exchange rate goes back to 10:1, any extra pesos you have left over will now be worth 33% more. We loaded up on pesos hoping to earn that 33% in the future for our next cruise. Who knows though how far the dollar will go vs the peso.

• 3 weeks later...

If I could do it over again, I would go to an ATM in Cabo (our first stop) and get out about $300 in pesos - probably about 4200-4500 pesos.

We used our credit card for a few transactions and that worked out to our favor most of the time.

In Carbo San Lucas, walk up the tender pier, pass the handicraft market toward the open air/outdoor restaurants on the broadwalk - in the direction of Diamonds International (DI) - behind the buildings on Blvd. Marina ("main street" with car traffic) is a Current Exchange place - you will see a line of folks waiting.

There are several signs on the waterfront/broadwalk pointing toward ATM's but we weren't sure whether they're bank-owned & operated and privately-managed.

yep, we saw the line on 2/24/09. It was the first time ever that I noticed the line, on the front side of the Tesoro, in Cabo. I at first wondered what the 50+ folks were waiting for. And then followed the sea of people to the $$ exchange sign. I bet it would have taken over an hour to get thru that line. Needless to say I moved on, as the cruise ship was pulling out of Cabo at 5 pm, and I was not going to waste 1 of the 7 hours I had left in port changing to pesos, and then end up with a bunch of pesos at the end of the cruise. To save buying what? Anything high dollar or classy, like unusual local custom fine art, would be in a store that I could charge on a credit card. Gifted mexican artists are few and far between, and immediatly are noticed and get credit card taking store shelf locations. Nothing valuable is on the streets, as the people are so poor, it is not worth the risk of big loss to the wholesellers and street vendors. We have never seen extraordinary art on the street, only trinkets. Trinkets we get off the beaten path and pay far less than you could imagine. Below are pics 2/26/09 in Bucerious, north of Nuevo Vallarta. Beautiful hand crafted necklaces (coral, stone, shells, etc.) for xmas gifts $1-$10, Beachfront Corona beer $2, heaping chips and fresh chopped tasty salsa $2, on we go!

IMG_9773.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9779.jpg

yep, we saw the line on 2/24/09. It was the first time ever that I noticed the line, on the front side of the Tesoro, in Cabo. I at first wondered what the 50+ folks were waiting for. And then followed the sea of people to the $$ exchange sign. I bet it would have taken over an hour to get thru that line. Needless to say I moved on, as the cruise ship was pulling out of Cabo at 5 pm, and I was not going to waste 1 of the 7 hours I had left in port changing to pesos, and then end up with a bunch of pesos at the end of the cruise. To save buying what? Anything high dollar or classy, like unusual local custom fine art, would be in a store that I could charge on a credit card. Gifted mexican artists are few and far between, and immediatly are noticed and get credit card taking store shelf locations. Nothing valuable is on the streets, as the people are so poor, it is not worth the risk of big loss to the wholesellers and street vendors. We have never seen extraordinary art on the street, only trinkets. Trinkets we get off the beaten path and pay far less than you could imagine. Below are pics 2/26/09 in Bucerious, north of Nuevo Vallarta. Beautiful hand crafted necklaces (coral, stone, shells, etc.) for xmas gifts $1-$10, Beachfront Corona beer $2, heaping chips and fresh chopped tasty salsa $2, on we go!

IMG_9773.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9779.jpg

We love Bucerias and I do believe that I have sat in that exact same spot at that restaurant :)

Huge smile on my face as I think back to our times in Bucerias :)

yep Bucerias is a great little town filled with Canadian Snow Birds enjoying the warm coastal climate and extremely friendly and inexpensive environment. We typically travel this far north from the cruise port for the trinket shopping and we visit the RV parks and talk to the Canadians.

As far as the peso is concerned, we take large bills on the ship, and then I change the large bills in at passenger services to primarily $1's and $5's with some $10's and $20's. NO ONE DOES THIS! We often see a line at the ship ATM machine right next to the Passenger Services. Folks take the $20's dispensed by the ATM and head right into port, where getting change for a trinket purchased with a $20 is hard and time consuming. We find it most effective to shop in Mexico with a small wad of crisp $1's and $5's in your pocket; and the larger bills in different pocket.

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_6755.gif

Archived