• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Sourdough Car Rental May 6 to Emerald Lake, Murray's Guide

sfrocker1

Just wondering if the driving conditions will be good for the drive this early in the season. I know rain is possible , but what are the chances of snow. Are the cars from Sourdough newer and in good condition as it looks like Avis is not yet open in Skagway on May 6? Also is it possible to get a copy of Murray's Guide before we leave on May 2. It looks like this years edition comes out on May 5. Is last years edition still available? Thanks.

Just wondering if the driving conditions will be good for the drive this early in the season. I know rain is possible , but what are the chances of snow. Are the cars from Sourdough newer and in good condition as it looks like Avis is not yet open in Skagway on May 6? Also is it possible to get a copy of Murray's Guide before we leave on May 2. It looks like this years edition comes out on May 5. Is last years edition still available? Thanks.

See post #17 on this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=924923

You DEFINATELY will have plenty of snow. I've gone in white outs in that time frame and snow backs 10 feet high at the summit. Roads are clear. The lakes will be frozen, so you won't see the "green" of Emerald Lake, of thawed visits.

Frankly, you can read up on Murray's guide on the plane. It's pretty strightforward, and you're going to have to read it anyway along the way. IF there is something of interest, then pull over and stop. His updated version may be more of a benefit. Don't expect wildlife.

I am looking forward to doing the drive this June. While researching I found a 2008 schedule for Cinnamon Cache it said they were open from mid June.

Gail was re-opening after being closed for a couple of years - it will be mid-May this year.

OP here. I'm thinking that early May is not the best time to make this drive. I'm sure it is beautiful, but probably July or August are much better. It sounds like a lot of the scenery will be covered in snow. My daughter lives in Lake Tahoe so I've already seen a winter wonderland many times. I believe I'll save this drive for another time when I can come later in the year. Am I wrong?

OP here. I'm thinking that early May is not the best time to make this drive. I'm sure it is beautiful, but probably July or August are much better. It sounds like a lot of the scenery will be covered in snow. My daughter lives in Lake Tahoe so I've already seen a winter wonderland many times. I believe I'll save this drive for another time when I can come later in the year. Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong - there will be lots of snow at the summit and on the peaks, and the lakes are still frozen though. I did the drive yesterday and it was gorgeous (but then I've only done it 300 or so times :D ) !

Archived