• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Shipboard communication

Mystere

I know most people go on cruises to get away from Cell phones, work, etc.. but unfortunately, I'm in a situation where I am the only person who can fix problems at my work if something goes wrong. Thus, even when I'm on vacation, I have to be "on call".

What options are there for someone who needs to get emergency information as soon as possible? Can someone "call" me (obviously, emergencies only) onboard ship? If i'm not in my cabin, can I get a message? If i'm out on shore, is there any option?

I don't expect there to be any issues, but if an emergency happens, every minute it takes for me to get back in touch with the home office can cost a lot of money.

The only way i'm being "allowed" to leave on 2 week cruise is if I have the ability to be easily reached, with the understanding that it has to be a true emergency for them to do this.

I've though of renting a Sat phone, but they are really only usable in line-of-sight, not indoors especially with all the metal. I figured I could just go out on deck once an hour to check fo rmessages, but that's kind of annoying.

Any other suggestions? I can't be the only one who can't be completely untethered.

Some ships have cell phone service. It usually costs $2.49 per minute. Check with your carrier to see if you will have service. There is also a ship-to-shore number that costs $7.95 per minute. If someone calls it, they must give a credit card number for the charges. I would check with your cell carrier or possibly other carriers on a pay as you go basis just for the trip if your carrier doesn't have ship phone service.

Hope you don't have too many emergencies to deal with on your trip.

With the IOS being so new, I would assume it has Cell service, but does anyone know if this is GSM or CDMA or both compatible? Will it work with Pay as you go phones?

If you've used on-ship celluar, can you tell me what kind of phone you have and what service? Thanks.

I know most people go on cruises to get away from Cell phones, work, etc.. but unfortunately, I'm in a situation where I am the only person who can fix problems at my work if something goes wrong. Thus, even when I'm on vacation, I have to be "on call".

What options are there for someone who needs to get emergency information as soon as possible? Can someone "call" me (obviously, emergencies only) onboard ship? If i'm not in my cabin, can I get a message? If i'm out on shore, is there any option?

I don't expect there to be any issues, but if an emergency happens, every minute it takes for me to get back in touch with the home office can cost a lot of money.

The only way i'm being "allowed" to leave on 2 week cruise is if I have the ability to be easily reached, with the understanding that it has to be a true emergency for them to do this.

I've though of renting a Sat phone, but they are really only usable in line-of-sight, not indoors especially with all the metal. I figured I could just go out on deck once an hour to check fo rmessages, but that's kind of annoying.

Any other suggestions? I can't be the only one who can't be completely untethered.

Just use your cell phone and make sure that everyone knows that the call is a $2.49 a min phone (Sprint, Verizon, & AT&T) If you are that needed I would think that any company would pay you back for the phone usage if it is a personal phone. This is also the best way IMHO. I would not worry about renting a sat phone.

I used my cell phone on our recent transatlantic from Barcelona to Galveston, I was probably half way across the ocean when an emergency occured requiring me to use my cell phone. It was like talking to the person next door and cost me around $50 for aprox 15 min of converstion. Hope that helps.:)

Kathleen

Eileen : we share 2 things in common... we've both used cell phones on the Independence (DD3 split up with b/f and wanted her mom.... let's not discuss how much THAT cost!)... and we both have sisters with OC. Big hugs. Thanks for posting info in your sig. Hope people read it.

Our last cruise was on the Jewell and our cell phone (Alltel) cost us $2.49/minute.

It worked when the ship was at sea but in some of the ports, the ship cell system was turned off. If you wanted cell service you had to sign up for what ever the local service was.

For sure communications, I suggest the Sat Phone Rental. You can always go up on deck and use it and you can use it in any port.

Archived