• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Be careful buying in Cozomel Mexico at Tanzinite International

Ironsline

Feb. 16, 2008

Just came off our Carnival Cruise (Ecstasy) after buying a $422.00 ring at Tanzinite International in Cozomel, Mexico. They sized my ring for me and should have checked the Tanzinite stones in it. A stone fell out of it 3 days later. It was a miracle I found the stone. I now have to pay to have it reset and the stones checked at our local jewelry store. I am so glad we didn't pay more for it. Be careful buying at those stores even though some are recommended by the cruise ship. I will NOT DO IT AGAIN! I have never bought jewelry on the cruise ship but buying now in Cozomel, it is very disappointing! Think hard and be very cautious!!!!!:mad:

I have been on almost 40 cruises, and I NEVER buy where the cruise ships tell me to buy.

1) The stores pay to advertise on those flyers that the ship gives out at the gangway before you disembark for the day

2) The stores get a kick back from the ship - why do you think they ask you what ship you are on? I tell them I live on the island!

3) Sure, they give you a so many money back guarantee, but are you actually going to ship your ring back to the cruise company to send it to the store (wherever that may be) and wait for it to come back? I live in Canada and that would mean I would have to send it across the border? There are too many hands in this pot. Take your chances - if something happens (and I have only once had a problem in all these years) bring it to your local jewellery store and he/she will be happy to help you. Your ring is within driving distance and more times than not, back in your hands in less than 2 weeks

4) And when they tell you to avoid the market at the pier in Cabo San Lucas - I have bought AMAZING jewellery there, and never once had a problem. The cruise lines simply want you to shop where they get a kick back.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, live and learn, even at my age. :) I bought a fire opal ring in Puerto Viaharta (sp?) Mexico, and we have not had any problems with it. Thanks for the heads up and hopefully this will help others. It helps to know this, whether or not we are in a bad economy or not, but it is a little tougher when times are hard. I had heard about Tanzinite on our first cruise in 2002 and had always wanted some. It is pretty. I will take my ring to my local jewelry store and hope they can set the stones and such, even if I have to pay for it. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Hey Vegas Man I hate to change the subject but I was wondering if you know how I can get two tickets to Cir du Soleil "O". I really want section 103 but I don't know how to go about ordering them. If you can help would you please e-mail me at Janabear2@cox.net Thank you so much. PS. I love Las Vegas and I have flown there 11 times.

:eek: Well, I took my ring to the local jeweler here and they said a big chunk of the stone was out of it which is why the stone fell out. I had only had the ring about 3 days!!! My husband did not want to go the route of us sending this back to the Mexico store or however it is done by Tanzinite International. The lady at the jewelry store said she tries to tell people NOT TO BUY IN MEXICO. We are paying another $100.00 more to get the ring fixed by professional jewelers as my husband was afraid to chance it any other way. I probably would have pursued our guarantee and gone that route. I told him I would never buy another piece of jewelry in Mexico again and probably not anywhere else on these cruise ships. It is very chancy to do this as I can see. I just don't know about other countries ways of doing things although I know we can get ripped off here in the States and things just happen sometimes. Do your research, guarantee your item and be EXTREMELY CAREFUL. I wouldn't buy jewelry if I were you. Live and learn.

Archived