• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Fly in/out of Ft Lauderdale for Miami Departure?

dmack110

We are booked for NCL Dawn Easter week and flights are outrageous for Miami. Does anyone have experience flying in/out of Fort Lauderdale instead? How long does it take to get to and from? We will be staying overnight before the cruise - do you recommend Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

Thanks!

Deb

I was on the Pearl two weeks ago. Flew into FLL on Saturday, day before, stayed in fll area. Had a freind drive us to cruise terminal about a 30min ride depends on traffic. Sunday off ship did express disenbarkation had a flight at 12:30, took a cab, flate rate of 75.00 got to airport in plenty of time, got off the ship at 9am. i'm sure you get some other replies for limo and share rides. its a good option to go to FLL if its saves u money over all (airfair+ hotel+transfer). hope this helps

We did it in December took the transfer with NCL which was okay but since i'm inpatient I would not go with NCL transfer again rather just get some type of cab service. With NCL we had to wait in the airport for over an hour til all the passengers they were waiting for arrived.

We're (2 of us) flying into FLL the day before our cruise coming up at the end of March. I decided to rent a car for the day...we'll drive ourselves from FLL to Miami and stay in a hotel with free parking. This way we have transportation at our disposal all day Friday and Sat morning. We'll drop off the car near the cruise terminal and catch a shuttle from the car rental drop-off to the cruise terminal. The whole thing will cost us about $120 including the shuttle fees. It's worth it to us to have our own wheels for 24 hrs. On the return trip, we're just going to catch a cab from the port to FLL. We're willing to pay a little extra for the simple convienence.

I almost forgot to mention. Our roundtrip tix from IAD to FLL are $187 each. The same trip from IAD to MIA would've been ALOT more.

We always fly into FLL the day before and stay at some hotel in the area. We have found the hotel rates are MUCH cheaper in FLL rather than Miami. We've taken both the shuttle and taxi to get to Miami on Sunday. It has always worked for us. The airfare savings pays for the hotel.

• Administrators
We are booked for NCL Dawn Easter week and flights are outrageous for Miami. Does anyone have experience flying in/out of Fort Lauderdale instead? How long does it take to get to and from? We will be staying overnight before the cruise - do you recommend Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

Thanks!

Deb

Many people do this. Here's the Cruise Critic message board for Florida departures with information on flights, transportation methods, hotels, etc. -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We almost always fly into or out of Ft Lauderdale Airport when cruising from Miami. We love to go at least one day early and enjoy F.L.. Check out a hotel called Ft. Lauderdale Grande Hotel and Yatch Club. We LOVED it and got it at a really good price on their own web site if we pre-paid, which we did. There is a water taxi stop right there at the hotel that will take you all around F.L. and a daily ticket is just like $13 or $14 dollars. Also, if you like seafood, there is a GREAT restaurant one water taxi stop from the hotel (literally less than a one minute ride) called 15th street pier restaruant or something like that. The upstairs is expensive and dressy, but downstairs is very casual and very reasonable and SOOOOOOOO good. Some of the best seafood we have ever had. Plus the floor has glass "see throughs" to the water below and at night the water is lit so you can see all the fish swimming under where you are eating. That was really cool as well.

we're flying into FLL on Friday before our cruise departs on Sat & were thinking about using the Tri Rail to get from there to the hotel at the Miami airport. Anyone have any experience with that service? Thanks . . . .

There is no Tri-rail stop at FLL, so you have to take a cab anyway. I don't know where the stops are in Miami. Search the boards to find out info about inexpensive private transportation like Go Shuttle and SAS transportation.

We were on the Imagination on 1/26 departing from Miami, and flew into FLL. We chose to have Holland Limo pick us up (OK, it costs, but it felt good!:D) and take us to Holiday Inn Port of Miami. I know prices are higher in Miami, but I rest better when I know all I have to do is pick up and go 1/2 mile to the port! And it was very cool to wake up the next day, look out the window and see 6 huge cruise ships lined up at the dock!

002.jpg.99ca8508a786e525c5e2dd88b6a11d56.jpg

I have traveled twice to Ft Lauderdale for sail out of Miami. Used SAS Transport..... Booked Hotel on easyclick.com

We stayed at Intercontinental that was booked on easyclick.com . It was a awesome experience. Our room overlooked the Port Of Miami. When we got up the next morning, we could see our ship.

Because of the difference in price and the reviews that have been posted about how much nicer Ft Lauderdale airport is, I will always fly there.:)

got into FLL at 4pm..then took a shuttle to the POM

Holiday Inn..took nearly 2 hrs..vs. a cab which would

take maybe a 1/2 hr..

definitely fly FLL if you can..we flew out of MIA on our

return flight and it was horrible..

I agree that Miami is horrible. We always fly into FLL for Miami cruises--non-stop flight and private car to Miami.

:)got into FLL at 4pm..then took a shuttle to the POM

Holiday Inn..took nearly 2 hrs..vs. a cab which would

take maybe a 1/2 hr..

We took SAS shuttle a few weeks ago and took 30 minutes.

I think you got the wrong shuttle company.

Archived