• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Susan Komen walk

betmust

We will be on the Eurodam in March. I am so excited - first HAL cruise. Could someone explain to me about this walk. I would really like to do it. I am on the Eastern cruise and wondered also when it is usually held.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Bette

We will be on the Eurodam in March. I am so excited - first HAL cruise. Could someone explain to me about this walk. I would really like to do it. I am on the Eastern cruise and wondered also when it is usually held.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Bette

The walk is held on all HAL ships that I know of,it is a 5km walk around the Promanade deck,the cost to take part is $15 and you get a tee shirt plus a pink wristband and pink lemonadfe at the end,it is a really worthwhile cause, hope this helps.BTW you do it at your own pace. Look in your daily program sheet for day and times.

See the Sticky at the top of the HAL thread list. All about "On Deck for the Cure". It is fantastic IMO that HAL has taken this as a cause to which they are dedicated.

It varies greatly when the Walk is held. If you have a port arrival after 1 P.M., chances are good it could be that morning. If you have a port departure at about 2 P.M. or so, it is possible they could do it that afternoon. Certainly a sea day is possible. It is not held when the ship is in port and most guests are ashore. Look for notices and definitely in the Daily Program. By all means, ask the CD. (S)he will be able to tell you exactly when it is scheduled.

Thank you for the info..

Do you know when they usually have it--which day and what time of day?

Thanks

The walk is at 9:00 a.m. on the last sea day of your cruise. You can walk as much or as little as your want and you can contribute more than the $15 pledge if you want. They play music on the starting side, and one of the staff is there for a lap countdown poster.

Chris

Zaandam

They aim for that time but cannot do it on many cruises.

Our Canada/New England cruises only have one sea day and there is so much they have to jam into the one day.

Seven day cruise with six ports. :eek:

Hi...you are not forced to do the whole 5K if you are not comfortable doing so...they only ask that you do as much of the walk as you can...someone from the Activities staff is there to cheer you on and sometimes some of the pax sitting on the promenade deck will also be cheering you on. Some participants regularly do quite a bit of walking while others are just doing this walk to support the cause while onboard the ship. So just walk as much as you are able to without causing yourself pain. From my experience...it is usually held on a sea day...start time ~8:30 AM...you will be told where to meet. Oftimes...they will have the photographer do a group photo in the atrium or such.

And an FYI...if you are really interested in signing up for this...you can go down to the pursers desk and inquire and sign up as early as the first day onboard...the first time DH & I signed up...it was AFTER we saw it mentioned in the daily program that they were signing up people. Well by that time...the only size shirts left were XL and even XXL!! DH normally wears S/M and I'm 5 ft tall and wear a 4-6P! And they were also out of the wristbands!! Needless to say I now have additional nightshirts!! On the Noordam...we went the first day, signed up and we got smaller sized t-shirts and the pink wristband.

And Sail7Seas...just want to thank you for your comment on something I wrote on another thread. You are always the voice of common sense when some get all bent out of shape about some issue.

Happy sailing!!

Luv2Cruise........ Happy I wrote something useful/helpful. :) Thanks for your nice words.

Next best thing to cruising HAL ships is talking about it. :D

Good tip here to mention to people they can sign up early for On Deck for the Cure and have a better chance of getting their t-shirt in the proper size.

We've done the walk many times and it is always wonderful fun and, of course, such a good cause.

We did this on one HAL and one Princess cruise. Last year, on the Princess cruise, I verified ahead of time that they were going to do the walk (this in itself was a trip, since nobody at the Princess home office knew anything about it). Not all Princess ships do the walk. HAL started the walk and, AFAIK, they are the only cruise line to do it on virtually all their sailings.

I then got permission at work to solicit extra donations. There was a very popular manager here, who died a couple of years ago, due to breast cancer.

I collected about $150 to donate in her memory. If you choose to do this, please note that the cruise line won't accept checks. I had a couple of people who insisted on writing checks for tax purposes. I mailed those directly to the foundation when I returned, but it would have been easier if they had given me cash.

On the Princess cruise, they gave us pink baseball caps. On HAL, we got a t-shirt. In both cases, the walk was held on a sea day at about 11:00am, IIRC.

As others have said, you all start together, but you walk at your own pace and as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. Some of the participants are power-walkers, who lapped me after about two laps, so don't feel that you are under any obligation to keep up.

In both cases, there was a form in the Welcome Aboard package in the cabin when we arrived. It was also mentioned in the daily newsletter. You fill out the form and turn it in at the purser's desk. The pledge amount will be added to your account. The evening before the walk, your steward will leave the t-shirt or cap in your cabin, along with the wristband and a sheet with information as to when/where to meet. I suspect that some people sign up, make the donation, but don't show up for the actual walk. That's okay. After all, its a fund-raiser, not a race.

Paul

We had the best walk I have ever participated in on our Nov. 20 day cruise on the Noordam. The captain and his wife and about 200 of the crew walked also. Had 2 large cakes, ballons, pink champagne, music and lots of cheerleaders. I can never walk the entire walk but do my best. As a 9 year BC survivor, I appreciate what HAL is doing to raise funds and awareness.

Cruisergal

On the Prinsendam in Dec Capt Turner walked with us and he is quick!!! It was not a big turn out but we only had 726 passengers on the Prinsendam and this was the end of a 26 day cruise so lots of folks were getting tired. See picture at the link below. Capt is the one on the left with the beard.

http://www.pbase.com/iflyrc5/image/107443366

We had the best walk I have ever participated in on our Nov. 20 day cruise on the Noordam. The captain and his wife and about 200 of the crew walked also. Had 2 large cakes, ballons, pink champagne, music and lots of cheerleaders. I can never walk the entire walk but do my best. As a 9 year BC survivor, I appreciate what HAL is doing to raise funds and awareness.

Cruisergal

Kudos to Captain Scott and his wife, Susan. And certainly YEA!!!! to the crew of Noordam. How wonderful to read this.

Still another reason to love the beautiful Noordam even more!

Okay, I'll be there in April, trotting along as well as my aging feet will take me. (Hey, I've had aging feet since before I could walk on them, but it sounds really pitiful, doesn't it?)

I'm pretty much unable to participate in the walking segment, but that's ok with HAL. Don't worry about how much you can do. As a "missed the bullet," I appreciate HAL's commitment to the cause and encourage anyone on this board to take part in it.

I made about half the laps. DH was cheering me on. I was not the first to drop out. They mention at the talk that the laps are scored by the first group and if you get lapped, don't worry. It is not a race. Lots of fun. We saw whales while we were walking. On the Ryndam it was on the afternoon after Cabo.

When I was on the Maasdam, we had our walk for the cure the second full sea day. Our walk was held in the mid afternoon (I guess it varies on time from ship to ship).

There were some who did the walk from the very start,others like me who join in the mist of the walk, and some who only walk one or two laps.

You had the cruise staff playing fun upbeat music, and fellow guest cheering us on and clapping when we walked by! Everyone was walking at various paces.

I made two donations for the walk. I got both of my t-shirts,wristband and other info at the front desk.

It was a fun thing to do and a wonderful sea day. I'm also proud that I did the walk in behalf of a close friend of mine!! She was in tears when I gave her the t-shirt and wristband. She was also happy to know that even the cruiselines are involved in helping every one effected by breast cancer.

Happy sailing!!

I didn't see a sticky at the top of the threads-is it still there??

I am doing this for sure. How many laps is it - does anyone know?? I have been hitting my treadmill every morning. I did 3 miles this morning so I think I should be able to do this. Can't wait. It sounds like fun.

I would like to participate, but would prefer to jog the 5k rather than walk. Is that permitted?

It is a walk. It would be potentially unsafe for all the walkers were you to try and jog around them. If there is a large turnout, the deck is full of walkers so no room for you to jog. Just do you "fast walk". :)

In addition, the "S" and "R" classes of ships do not permit jogging at any time on Promenade Deck. It is permitted on Vista ships, unfortunately.

I didn't see a sticky at the top of the threads-is it still there??

I am doing this for sure. How many laps is it - does anyone know?? I have been hitting my treadmill every morning. I did 3 miles this morning so I think I should be able to do this. Can't wait. It sounds like fun.

Sorry...... the sticky is now gone. It was there for months.

I would like to participate, but would prefer to jog the 5k rather than walk. Is that permitted?

As mentioned, on many of the ships jogging is not permitted. The fun of it is just being involved and supporting a great cause. We generally kick in extra $$ and they give us extra t-shirts which we pass around to create more awareness.

On S-class 4 laps to mile which is about 1.7k if my math is right, so I believe it is about 11 or so laps ? is that right anyone?

harry

Archived