• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Traditional Dining vs. MTD for 1st time cruiser

We cruised this summer, but this will be my Mom's first cruise. I have considered MTD, but I am thinking that for a first time cruise experience I should have us do traditional (second seating) just so she knows what that is like.

Am I just being silly, or would it be better to do it "old school" first so she knows what to expect on ships without flexible dining (my thinking)?

All thoughts are welcome!

Personally, I love having tablemates to talk to! I find it really makes dining special when you have more of a "dinner party" atmosphere. I enjoy hearing about everyone else's adventures and plans for the next day. Generally, it's just hubby and I, and we eat all of our meals together at home....it's just nice to have other's to converse with!!! (Not that we don't enjoy each other, but we enjoy each other all the time....!)

You do know that with MTD, you can request to be seated with others, if you wish!

Have not tried the MTD yet because it is on Deck 5 and the ceiling is so close to you I feel closed in and I also enjoy a large table and meeting new people and getting to know them during the cruise. If they change to a lower deck I may try the MTD and see how i like it. On the shorter cruises I have done the casual dining in the WJ so we could just relax and not have to dress on a 3 or 4 night cruise.

For your Mom's first cruising experience, I would recommend going with the Traditional Dining, so she can really see what it is like--waiters and assistant waiters getting to know you and your preferences, same tablemates each night, etc. This has been hallmark of cruising for years and years. If she decides to cruise again in the future, then she will understand her choice between traditional and My Time Dining better, and will be able to make the best choice for her.

I hope you all have a great cruise!

Karen

Thanks! I feel reassured about my decision.:)

Good to know about the low ceilings in the MTD area on Navigator--I'm very claustrophobic (which stinks because I am missing some huge bargains on inside cabins!!!).

As always you guys are a great and helpful bunch!

Are you required to give advance notice to opt out of MTD or can you simply choose to arrive at the dining room and request to be seated at the next available table size of your choice? With MTD can you make reservations each night for the next night at a different time?

owl61-

No you can't "opt out" of MTD, at least not after the 1st day. You can make reservations for different times every day, or the same time. You can request the same wait staff/table and will probably get that too(we did for 10 night cruise). We love MTD.

But for 1st time cruiser I would probably recommend the traditional set up just so that a new cruiser can experience it. We didn't hate traditional, we just prefer the freedom that MTD gives us.

owl61-

No you can't "opt out" of MTD, at least not after the 1st day. You can make reservations for different times every day, or the same time. You can request the same wait staff/table and will probably get that too(we did for 10 night cruise). We love MTD.

But for 1st time cruiser I would probably recommend the traditional set up just so that a new cruiser can experience it. We didn't hate traditional, we just prefer the freedom that MTD gives us.

Hi Gracie ~ I will be on the NOS on 4/16 to Barcelona. I have signed up for MTD thru my TA and pre-paid gratuities as this was one of the rules, which was not a problem for me. I am cruising solo this time because of the great price and my husband was not able to cruise for that long. I have loved traditional dining but after being introduced to anytime dining with Princess my husband and I prefer the freedom it gives us a swell.

Right now it looks we (some other solo cruisers) are thinking about MTD at 7:30PM. Do you know if this time will interfere with any of the production shows. Are there two performance eg. one for the early seating and one for the second seating?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Ps. When did you put in your request for MTD on the first day? Once you boarded?

Does anyone know where the MTD is on Adventure of the Seas? Anyone tried it on this ship? Thanks!

My Time Dining has a designated phone number here it is #1 800 590 6218. Give them a call and they can answer your questions.

!

I just spoke with Tasha at MTD to make sure I was confirmed for my NOS sailing on 4/16/2009. My TA called them yesterday to put me on the MTD and also charged the gratuity to my credit card.

Hope this helps ~ Els

Does anyone know where the MTD is on Adventure of the Seas? Anyone tried it on this ship? Thanks!

We did MTD on Jewel and it was in the highest level dinning room on the right side as you enter. We were on Explorer last week and our headwaiter Tom said, they would also be using the top level, deck 5, right side for MTD.

He also told us they had just built 20 something new tables for 2 to accommodate the MTD. He also said, eventually the whole top level of the dinning room would become MTD.

On Explorer the selected waitstaff for MTD have been in training for the last few weeks to be prepared for this weeks first seating of MTD on Explorer....as they become more experienced and know how to handle it, they will open it up to more cruiser's and eventually the whole top level dining area....:)

So if you are signed up for traditional, you can switch to MTD when on board?

At this point I beleive they are limiting the number of people that can do MTD so if it is full prior to sailing you will not be able to switch. If however there are still spots available I believe you can switch the frist day, but once you switch you have to stick with it.

We did MTD on Freedom in November and loved it

Thanks! I feel reassured about my decision.:)

Good to know about the low ceilings in the MTD area on Navigator--I'm very claustrophobic (which stinks because I am missing some huge bargains on inside cabins!!!).

As always you guys are a great and helpful bunch!

Just so you know....the ceilings are NOT that low....:confused: and you might end up on the top level with traditional dining.

Have a great cruise!!!!!

We are just off the Jewel last week. We could not make a reservation for the main dining, so had been assigned late dining. We were not satisfied so upon arriving on the ship, we went right up to the MTD Maitre D to get a place the 5th deck right side. We made reservation for 6H45, table of two, each night for the rest of the cruise. After a few nights, we realise the following: Most of every reservations were coming in around 6H00, therefore when we came in at 6H45, we had the waiter most to our selves. Our meals were piping hot, served very fast so that most evening, we were out of the dining room by 8H15 in plenty of time for the shows at 9H00. The only thing that we are sorry for is that with a table of two, we did not make any friends like we do with a table of 8. We had always the same waiter, Faride from Perou, very nice and very efficient.

JP

Hi

We've booked today for Navigator Transatlantic in April and will be our second RCI cruise. I loved Voyager but missed the Princess any time dining. I'd never heard of my time dining until today!

Can someone please enlighten me on the basics, how you book and do you just turn up and hope for a table like you do on Princess? Also can you get tables for 2?

I booked online through the RCI UK website and didn't choose to prepay gratuities as I prefer cash, however, would do this if it was required

Thanks in advance

Hi

We've booked today for Navigator Transatlantic in April and will be our second RCI cruise. I loved Voyager but missed the Princess any time dining. I'd never heard of my time dining until today!

Can someone please enlighten me on the basics, how you book and do you just turn up and hope for a table like you do on Princess? Also can you get tables for 2?

I booked online through the RCI UK website and didn't choose to prepay gratuities as I prefer cash, however, would do this if it was required

Thanks in advance

Hey why don't you join us on our Roll Call board for this cruise. I am on this cruise as well. You can have your TA call RCCL and request for you to be put on MTD (My Time Dining). Or you can email them openseating@RCCL.com give them your confirmation # and name etc. You will have to pay gratuities upfront. The toll free number in the US is 1-800590-6218. My TA called for me last night and I confirmed it with RCCL today and I am on their list.

You can also sign up before 3:30PM the day of boarding, but I have read threads on CC that there is limited space since they just offered it.

I hope this helped ~ Els

ps. When you go to the Roll Call board you can also sign up for "Meet & Mingle" We have 96 people so far and it is fun to get to know fellow cruisers. RCCL will host a party for us.

I have loved Anytime dining on Princess too.

My inquiries concerning MTD are, according to my TA, academic because MTD is not offered on my Mar 13 cruise aboard the Radiance. I thought MTD had been implemented fleetwide.

Why don't you email them and see what they say openseating@RCCL.com When I asked my TA about this he called and then emailed me saying that it was not available. I then read him an email from RCCL to another CC cruiser that it was available on NOS. I gave him the number on this email and he got me booked. Today I called this number and I am confirmed. You do have to pre-pay gratuities. You can also call 1-800-590-6218 that is MY Time dining department and ask the if your ship offers MTD.

thanks for the infoeverone, I'll give RCI a call tomorrow, I've no problems with the pre-paid gratuities. Good to see RCI offering flexibility for dinner. I'll also look into the meet and mingle as well.

These boards are so helpful, my husband never reads them but is grateful I csn pick up good tips - would never have known about MTD otherwise

Archived