• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Orchestra and the handicapped rather funny but good

Mrwheels29

I doubt many noticed unless you or a travel partner were disabled but I personally found the MSC orchestra layout for the handicapped funny. I read many places that the door to the regular cabin was 29.5 inches wide well my chair is 27inches wide from handrim to handrim and being with many people I attempted to get into most of the levels of cabins and couldn't do it. I had a handicapped inside cabin myself 10050 very easy to get to and huge compared to my friends and families cabins. The one big issue with the handicapped cabin I found was the layout of the shower chair attached to the wall was directly under the bar holding the handheld shower so being a rather large guy I had to sit far forward on a 10in seat and when we were moving it wasn't easy to balance without being hit in the back by the bar or the corner soap holder. The toilets were nice and low although I am still wondering if anyone has fallen in as it was much wider than I've ever seen before.

The Buffet was very easy for me to get around although I did run over afew toes sorry for that everyone. It was rather nice once on the line one of the head waiters came over took my plate and took me down the line and got everything I wanted including a fresh made fully loaded omlet which nobody else seemed to be allowed to get. the seating in the far back area of the buffet was much easier to find a seat as people seemed to think the one buffet directly off the pool area was it but if keep walking back you'll find less hassle on a regular basis and sitting on the balcony in the back was a wonderful way to have breakfast and lunch.

I will say if someone in a wheelchair wants to play mini golf,tennis or use the actual solarium deck very top don't bother its not possible without help. I asked how to get to the solarium and the nice staff by the elevator guided me to the deck above the running track which had a space about 30 feet wide by the width of the ship to tan which by the way seemed to be the topless area for awhile until kids started running around. but there was a deck above that which is actually the solarium deck which far less people used probably due to the high winds and it was windy, I did get up there once on a docked day Cayo laventado day since the ship was alittle less busy climbed up on my tush with chair behind me and had a grand time with 20 or so people.

The one issue which I had with this ship although being my first cruise it may be the same on other ships I don't know is the elevators. Some go to all the floors others go to only afew and no I'm not talking about trying to go to the top deck in an elevator in the middle of the ship. Personally I stuck with the furthest front which was 20 feet from my cabin and furthest back and just used the pool deck or the jogging track to cross the ship and usually beat people walking from one end to the other who stayed on the same deck and just walked the length of the ship. Also the elevator doors are very tight and close extremely fast unless someone is holding it. I found it rather annoying people would hold the door open but stand in the doorway so sure they were being nice and holding the door open but I still couldn't move as they were in the way and once they moved BOOM but it was a good ship and plan on doing it again next year with the irish group on the poesia Jan 30-feb 6th 2010.

Were you part of our (Irish) group this year?

I doubt many noticed unless you or a travel partner were disabled but I personally found the MSC orchestra layout for the handicapped funny. I read many places that the door to the regular cabin was 29.5 inches wide well my chair is 27inches wide from handrim to handrim and being with many people I attempted to get into most of the levels of cabins and couldn't do it. I had a handicapped inside cabin myself 10050 very easy to get to and huge compared to my friends and families cabins. The one big issue with the handicapped cabin I found was the layout of the shower chair attached to the wall was directly under the bar holding the handheld shower so being a rather large guy I had to sit far forward on a 10in seat and when we were moving it wasn't easy to balance without being hit in the back by the bar or the corner soap holder. The toilets were nice and low although I am still wondering if anyone has fallen in as it was much wider than I've ever seen before.

The Buffet was very easy for me to get around although I did run over afew toes sorry for that everyone. It was rather nice once on the line one of the head waiters came over took my plate and took me down the line and got everything I wanted including a fresh made fully loaded omlet which nobody else seemed to be allowed to get. the seating in the far back area of the buffet was much easier to find a seat as people seemed to think the one buffet directly off the pool area was it but if keep walking back you'll find less hassle on a regular basis and sitting on the balcony in the back was a wonderful way to have breakfast and lunch.

I will say if someone in a wheelchair wants to play mini golf,tennis or use the actual solarium deck very top don't bother its not possible without help. I asked how to get to the solarium and the nice staff by the elevator guided me to the deck above the running track which had a space about 30 feet wide by the width of the ship to tan which by the way seemed to be the topless area for awhile until kids started running around. but there was a deck above that which is actually the solarium deck which far less people used probably due to the high winds and it was windy, I did get up there once on a docked day Cayo laventado day since the ship was alittle less busy climbed up on my tush with chair behind me and had a grand time with 20 or so people.

The one issue which I had with this ship although being my first cruise it may be the same on other ships I don't know is the elevators. Some go to all the floors others go to only afew and no I'm not talking about trying to go to the top deck in an elevator in the middle of the ship. Personally I stuck with the furthest front which was 20 feet from my cabin and furthest back and just used the pool deck or the jogging track to cross the ship and usually beat people walking from one end to the other who stayed on the same deck and just walked the length of the ship. Also the elevator doors are very tight and close extremely fast unless someone is holding it. I found it rather annoying people would hold the door open but stand in the doorway so sure they were being nice and holding the door open but I still couldn't move as they were in the way and once they moved BOOM but it was a good ship and plan on doing it again next year with the irish group on the poesia Jan 30-feb 6th 2010.

Archived