• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

How do you find out if there are any large groups on the cruise?

gracecarmo

Try googling the ship's name and the sail date.

And don't worry about groups too much---there are ALWAYS groups on every cruise--most of them, you won't be able to tell there even is a group!

And check your roll-call--if there is a 'group' someone on the roll-call may know all about it!

We were on Navigator last week and I did a google to see if there were any groups on board and nothing came up. But, once we were on board, we found there were 1200 members of GMAC Realty division on board. Now that's a big group.

Yes, 1200 is a big group. We experienced groups of 1300 and 1400 (approx) on MSC Orchestra recently.

I suspect that MSC caters to large groups...

I am now looking at Oceania..smaller ships.

Go the the "Roll Call" board and look for your ship and cruise date.

Our group cruises are small (400-500) compared to the realtor's cruise but I can tell you that ours never show up when doing a search. FYI - our next group cruise will be in Feb of 2010 on the Triumph out of New Orleans. It is sponsored every year by one of our local radio stations.

Well sometimes if the group is large enough, they can change the menu for the cruise and also the entertainment and the language spoken onboard.

Last year Feb. 2008 there was a HUGE group on the Carnival Valor, it was a Church Group. It was for Presidents week and since there were so many on there I am talking thousands they had changed many things on board. Many people were complaining b/c they didn't know and if they did they would have changed their plans.

So I would totally double check on that so you are not surprised about it.

You can always call the cruise line itself and ask if there are any large groups on your sailing. They'll usually be able to tell you...

Cruise lines never tell what groups are on board because they don't want a lot of mass cancellations if passengers find out they're sharing the ship will 1000 Elvis impersonators or Amway salesmen.

Large groups can have a major impact on any cruise. If the group is large enough they take over many of the public venues which you won't be able to use for the entire cruise. Imagine if you couldn't go into two or three of the most popular lounges or bars because that group has taken them over. Also, on cruises with large groups, there can sometimes be a herd mentality where they think because they are in a group, they have special rights that others do not. I was on a cruise with a large group who was assigned to early seating and they took up the entire dining room. This group ate so much that when we went to dinner for the second seating, many of the food choices were not available because many in the group ate two and three main courses and nothing was left for those of us at the late seating.

call me stupid but what does it matter if there are large groups on ur cruise??? the ship will have loads of people regaurdless... whats it matter if they are all in 1 big group or seperatly w. friends...

Actually, it very well may matter. Often times large groups take over public venues, therefore, not allowing YOU or anyone not in their party into that area. It could be a favorite bar, meeting place, pool deck or restaurant...wherever. So yes, groups can sometime have a negative impact on other cruises experience.

Actually' date=' it very well may matter. Often times large groups take over public venues, therefore, not allowing YOU or anyone not in their party into that area. It could be a favorite bar, meeting place, pool deck or restaurant...wherever. So yes, groups can sometime have a negative impact on other cruises experience.[/quote']

HHmm never thought of that.. good point

Cruise lines never tell what groups are on board because they don't want a lot of mass cancellations if passengers find out they're sharing the ship will 1000 Elvis impersonators or Amway salesmen.

OK so while I hope I would be able to handle a large group of Elivis impersonators or Amway salesmen, I really would like to know if a cruise I'm booked on has a large nudist group onboard (especially if I was planning on bringing my kids!)

OK so while I hope I would be able to handle a large group of Elivis impersonators or Amway salesmen, I really would like to know if a cruise I'm booked on has a large nudist group onboard (especially if I was planning on bringing my kids!)

the best way to see is to Google your cruise(ship name and sail date) and see what shows. A large group normally has posted somewhere on the web their participation in the cruise and if so it should appear on a Google search. the cruise line won't tell you.

Group cruises may also be geared to children or teens too. That is one experience we hope to never repeat. And, believe it or not the 900+ children sailed during a school week. There have been quite a few threads about group cruising, although I don't recall any lately. One of the most scathing involved Bridge (the game) cruises. I had to laugh because one of my dearest cousins takes every bridge cruise offered, plays and eats to her hearts content and never gets off the ship.

Even the luxury lines cater to groups. In the good ole days GM and Ford would book entire sailings on Crystal ships.

I know it's on a smaller scale, but one of our CC groups had over a 100 and I bet we got fairly obnoxious with all of our gatherings.

So groups can be many things, but the one thing for sure is the cruise lines will never tell you if there is a mass booking!

Wow....this is all very interesting...I'm like Lissa...untill reading this, I wouldnt have suspected groups could cause any issues...its good info to know ahead of time, if you can find out...the only large group we have encountered on a cruise was 4 yrs ago on our first cruise...it had a HUGE amount of those red hat ladies...but they werent a problem...just a bunch of ladies having a real good time...one of them who had to be 80+ even grabbed me in the elevator and we danced untill it hit our floor...she was really cool...those gals can sure have a good time...I'd cruise with them anytime :)

I saw a post on this board one time where someone said that their cruise had a large Harley rider group on board and everywhere you went - including the dining room on formal nights were full of latherclad people, including women not covered very well. When asking the matre'd, she was told that the dress code was being waived, but only for those in the Harley group. Not my idea of a great vacation. For some - yes, for me - no!

Go over to the Theme Cruises section on Cruise Critic and you might find some group cruises on there. I know there's one for couples who "swing". And on other boards there are groups who cruise who are cross dressers. I know my travel agent booked a large group of them for a Royal Caribbean cruise. She said it was about 75 men and their wives, and the men cross dressed.

We are booked on one of those large group cruises. We're going with HOHS RCCL FOS Nov. 1st. approx. 1500 to 1800 "bikers". This is a huge charity fund raiser for Dialysis patients. Last year $120,339.48 was raised for the fund and 16 dialysis patients received free cruises with all medical expense paid by HOHS (Hogs on the High Seas). This is a great cruise for a good cause with lots of fun thrown in.

http://www.hogsonthehighseas.com/main.htm

We are booked on one of those large group cruises. We're going with HOHS RCCL FOS Nov. 1st. approx. 1500 to 1800 "bikers". This is a huge charity fund raiser for Dialysis patients. Last year $120,339.48 was raised for the fund and 16 dialysis patients received free cruises with all medical expense paid by HOHS (Hogs on the High Seas). This is a great cruise for a good cause with lots of fun thrown in.

Just make sure you wear your lather. :)

Seriously, though, I may not be a biker, but that sounds like a great event, and a great cause!

Thanks for the info...and yes, it's an incredible thing that your group does!

I will add it to the list we already have going in the next day or 2

K.

ourpassportstamps.com

Actually' date=' it very well may matter. Often times large groups take over public venues, therefore, not allowing YOU or anyone not in their party into that area. It could be a favorite bar, meeting place, pool deck or restaurant...wherever. So yes, groups can sometime have a negative impact on other cruises experience.[/quote']

Yea, we were on the ship with the top 1400 Pampered Chef salespeople. Wow! type "A" personalities all the time. Gave a different feel for the cruise.Sometimes had to hide.

Archived