• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

What time does main dining room open for breakfast?

krogerlady

We will be on Carnival Spirit, and have a 9:30 excursion in Juneau. I know we can grab a bite at the lido buffet, but i prefer sit down breakfast, and just wondering if anyone knows what time the dining room opens, and if there willb e time to eat and make it off the ship for the excursion? Thank you...the closer we get, the more specific the questions become. I have learned so much on these boards.

Aha, Bearbait, nothing like a smile to start my evening. Hmmm, the thought here....go thru buffet, have a plate, utensils in pocket, stick napkin in pocket too, juggle that cup of coffee, and hope the glass of juice balanced on the edge of the plate doesn't fall off...oh my!! Now if I can only find the catsup for my omelette...anyone have a free hand here....I passed up the "sit down" breakfast....just kidding, but it does create a visual!! Seriously, y'all really do know what I meant....."sit down" dining, waiter brings food to the table, as apposed to going thru a buffet line. Quicker, no doubt, providing one can find a seat...read about that problem too.....but i like the formality of the dining room, when possible. BTW, thanks for the smile.

I live in Ketchikan. I see the cruise ships come every summer. The Alaska State Ferry system, which I utilize 3 or 4 times a year for trips to Prince Rupert or Bellingham doesn't really count, I don't think. Nope, never been on one.

If I did go I'd probably eat at the buffet. Seems like if your in Alaska you'd want to get off the ship as soon as it docks. When the ferry docks I'm usually one of the first in line to get down to the car deck.

Oh yeah! Room Service is an excellent option - particularly for Alaska! Don't know about Carnival's room service menu, but HAL's was superb! You put your order out on your door knob the night before with the preferred dining time (in half hour increments) and presto! There is a knock on the door, a smiling crew member brings it in hot and toasty, and you're on your way to a leisurely breakfast in your cabin (or on your balcony if you're lucky enough to have on) then off you go on your excursion. We always did it when we had a morning excursion in port and it was perfect for us! Nothing like your first cup of coffee and one of HAL's chocolate croissants on the balcony in your fluffy robe watching the next port come into sight. Ah....heaven....:p

Oh yeah! Room Service is an excellent option - particularly for Alaska! Don't know about Carnival's room service menu, but HAL's was superb! You put your order out on your door knob the night before with the preferred dining time (in half hour increments) and presto! There is a knock on the door, a smiling crew member brings it in hot and toasty, and you're on your way to a leisurely breakfast in your cabin (or on your balcony if you're lucky enough to have on) then off you go on your excursion. We always did it when we had a morning excursion in port and it was perfect for us! Nothing like your first cup of coffee and one of HAL's chocolate croissants on the balcony in your fluffy robe watching the next port come into sight. Ah....heaven....:p

If it is an early port day, I suggest you order it earlier than you need it. On our HAL cruise last summer we ordered room service for breakfast one time and it never arrived before we had to leave. BUMMER!!! Never tried again!!! We got an apology at dinner, but that was it!!!

Archived