• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Should I be Afraid?

EmmasNana

For my April cruise we are flying out of DFW on the same day as the ship sails. My flight leaves at 5:45 AM, BUT I have to change planes in Atlanta and there is only about 40 minutes between arrive and depart in Atlanta. We are supposed to arrive in Miami at 11:30. Has anyone done this?

For my April cruise we are flying out of DFW on the same day as the ship sails. My flight leaves at 5:45 AM, BUT I have to change planes in Atlanta and there is only about 40 minutes between arrive and depart in Atlanta. We are supposed to arrive in Miami at 11:30. Has anyone done this?

The Atlanta airport is the world's largest..and busiest..and sometimes most congested. You've got a lot of variables against you here --

What if your first plane is late to arrive; how close are the terminals or gates from the first plane to the second one; what about weather (although April is pretty good in Atlanta, but you could encounter thunderstorms)...

When does your ship leave port?

Your problems are exactly why so many of us suggest flying in to your port city the day before. Any one of these factors could cause you to miss that connecting flight, and ultimately miss your cruise.

I'm still waiting to leave on my first cruise. But, I've flown a heck of a lot the past few years. Offhand, I would say the odds are good that you will be fine.

But, if you can afford it, I would recommend getting to your Port the evening before. Atlanta runs like a swiss watch. But they can't control the weather or problems that cause delays within the flight control system. I can tell from your posting that you will probably be too worried to get a wink of sleep the night before. So, like I said, if you can afford it, try to go the day before.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Big Steve! Looks like you will be getting on the sky just as we(hopefully) will be getting off. I'm going to try to stay positive. I am a little concerned if the checked luggage will make it. I might just use carry ons.

While I agree with BigSteve....I think people get a little too stressed about it. I fly a decent amount for work and in 4 years, I've only missed a connection once.

However, while the tickets may be non-refundable, you may be able to pay a change fee to change the the flight leaving from ATL to one a bit later, or maybe even change the 5:45am to the night prior.

good luck!

I was also thinking that if I do miss my connection, I may be able to get on the next flight. I have flown fairly frequently as well in the past and have never missed a connection. That is why I wasn't so concerned when I booked. After reading how everyone goes early made me nervous and I have never gone through Atlanta. I also will never book so far in advance because now I could get a non-stop flight for same price.

40 minutes should work, especially since the airline booked and allowed it

You did not mention the airline, but I am guessing Delta? In any event, know in ADVANCE what other flights go from ATL that day and be ready to get on one. Since you are so early in the day, you will be fine.

AND, THE BIGGEST ADVICE - continually double check the monitors in case of a gate change. It happens.

Yes, it is Delta which is another reason I was nervous. I don't believe I have ever flown on Delta before. Good idea about the other available flights. I will keep watching. Thanks. I mostly stress out because DH is the type of person who has a difficult time if things don't go smoothly. I'm more of a go with the flow type...but I don't want to get him upset(or he will bitch the whole time)

I'm doing the same thing April 3rd out of Baltimore connecting in Atlanta. I'm only concerned about t-storms they can be very severe in the spring. Your doing the same thing we are by getting out of home city first thing. If these storms happened to be called for that day there usually in the afternoon. Since your leaving first thing the plane will be waiting for you so you should be just fine catching your connection.

If your travel date is later than ours I can let you know how smooth it was.

I changed in Atlanta last year. I had to find the train shuttle between arrival and departure areas, walk and walk to the departure gatre only to find a sign that departure was BACK where I arrived. The sign was at the schedulued departure gate which was a walk from the escalator....which is where the sign should have been placed !!! It was a run to get back to the escalator, get the train and run to the new departure gate. I would never allow only 40 minutes b etween ANY plane connection ! My next cruise in England has a 5 hour lay over at Dulles....just fine with me !!!

While I agree with BigSteve....I think people get a little too stressed about it. I fly a decent amount for work and in 4 years, I've only missed a connection once.

However, while the tickets may be non-refundable, you may be able to pay a change fee to change the the flight leaving from ATL to one a bit later, or maybe even change the 5:45am to the night prior.

good luck!

I like that idea. It might cost you to change, but you wouldn't miss your cruise.

do you have any other choices? If you can pay a penalty and change the tickets to the night before do it..Some may say 40 minutes is doable, but it only takes one set back to throw this off and 40 minutes isn't much time regardless of who booked it. why start your trip stressed. Again, if you can do change, if you can't, well good luck. I am sure there will be another flight before sailing time, hopefully it won't be sold out.

Nita

I changed in Atlanta last year. I had to find the train shuttle between arrival and departure areas, walk and walk to the departure gatre only to find a sign that departure was BACK where I arrived. The sign was at the schedulued departure gate which was a walk from the escalator....which is where the sign should have been placed !!! It was a run to get back to the escalator, get the train and run to the new departure gate. I would never allow only 40 minutes b etween ANY plane connection ! My next cruise in England has a 5 hour lay over at Dulles....just fine with me !!!

Didn't you have the gate number when you arrived?

Yikes NK! I am assuming the gates wouldn't be too far apart, although I do know that is not always true. If I don't see signs right away I will grab someone and ask.

Atlanta has a really efficient rail system to take you between terminals. never more than about 2 minutes between trains. Well marked. You should be able to find out the gate your flights normally use (can change of course) and then look over a map of the airport. The airport map I'm sure you can find through a google search. If nothing else, you can go to the airline and check the status of your flight number for today, and use the gates that pop up.

If you're worried :eek: it might calm your nerves.

Emma,

we just went through Atlanta last week, our 1st flight was a bit delayed and we only had 20 minutes to find our next gate, we were really stressed, but come to find out our connection flight new about our delay and they waited for the pax, plus they needed to get the luggage. The airlines do communicate so if a flight is late , the other connecting flights are notified, this is what we were told. The airport is hugeee, I think you will have plenty of time to get to ship even if your flight is late, remember you can board the ship early but they do not leave until 4, or whenever your ship is due to sail. imo Chicago is worse than Atlanta

On one of my trip to ATL about 4-5 years ago in the summer, my relative & I were there for a few days. On the return trip (flying United), there were some weather delays in Atlanta. We had a 2 hr layover in Denver but we were delayed almost 2 hrs so we missed the last bank of 3 flights to Los Angeles. (747, 767, 757---2 widebodies & 1 narrowbody all banked within 20 minutes of each other :mad:).

We had to overnite and I used my United 1K (I was a 100K flyer at the time) so I got UA to give us vouchers & a room due to 1K unpublished benefit--I did have to ask for it :)). I did have to take a few hours off at work but at least we didn't have anything pressing at the time.

I would not chance it on flying in the same day as the cruise.

On one of my trip to ATL about 4-5 years ago in the summer, my relative & I were there for a few days. On the return trip (flying United), there were some weather delays in Atlanta. We had a 2 hr layover in Denver but we were delayed almost 2 hrs so we missed the last bank of 3 flights to Los Angeles. (747, 767, 757---2 widebodies & 1 narrowbody all banked within 20 minutes of each other :mad:).

We had to overnite and I used my United 1K (I was a 100K flyer at the time) so I got UA to give us vouchers & a room due to 1K unpublished benefit--I did have to ask for it :)). I did have to take a few hours off at work but at least we didn't have anything pressing at the time.

I would not chance it on flying in the same day as the cruise.

I agree...but there's always insurance; or as someone mentioned before, many airlines will change a non-refundable ticket for a fee...better than missing the ship altogether.

Ooooh, I never want to do that!!!

Duane

Personally we are in the group that likes to fly in at least one day early just for comfort, however it is not always possible. I do think you will be ok, I just looked it up and there is one more flight that would get you from Atlanta to Miami in time to board the ship so if you miss that first connection, they might very well be able to put you on that second flight. There would also be a flight going to Ft. Lauderdale airport so hopefully between the two additional flights they could get you on one of them.

I really do not think you have much to worry about. Did you book though Delta directly? Or did you book via an online TA? If you booked with Delta and if you are really tha worried about it, you could call Delta and see if you can get a nice rep that will move you to a later connection. I know their policy is you will have to pay a fee, but you never know when you will get one willing to work with you.

Archived