• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Olympus 1050SW Camera Advice, please!

dossymae

I'm hoping someone who has this camera or another Olympus SW camera can help me...

I've been looking at the Olympus 1050SW and have been seriously considering buying it. It is a regular Point and Shoot (P&S), but it is also waterproof. However, when I was speaking with my camera guy at the shop today, he said that the photo quality is not the greatest. I currently have a Canon point and shoot and a Canon XSi (DSLR). My XSi is my main camera, but I still would like to have a P&S for convenience. My P&S is starting to get a little slow and would like to have something a bit newer and smaller. I love the quality of the A520 and it has rarely let me down in quality of photos.

I am going on the Spirit next week and would really like the waterproof features of the 1050, but I'm wondering if I want to compromise that for the quality of my current camera. I am not looking to buy a waterproof housing for my current P&S since it's not really convenient and I feel it would get used even less than a new camera.

Please help me. I'm pretty torn right now on what I should do. Money is not really the issue and that's not what would sway my decision either way at this point.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I have an Olympus 1050SW.

Pros: It's compact enough to keep in your pocket, and comes with a floatable wrist strap. The controls are fairly easy to figure out, and a 2 GB chip hols a lot of pics (1,800 on 5 Megapixels, I think...)

Cons: The quality isn't very good at all, especially for indoor photos. The flash takes a long time to recharge. Lots of blurry indoor photos. Outdoors seemed to work much better, but there was still a lot of distortion. I took ours to Las Vegas in December, and about half of my photos came out lousy. Maybe I'm just used to my Sony SLR which steadies the photos.

I'm going to take the Olympus with me on our cruise in May, but I'm only going to use it while in port. Otherwise, I'll use my Sony for all of my "good" photos.

Hope this helps -- :)

I have the Olympus 1030SW (I also have the digital Canon Rebel) so this is just our "water" camera. It takes great pics both in and out of the water (inside and outside). I posted a couple of pics on our roll call (March 1st Valor) if you want to check those out. We got a great deal on this camera online from Dell.

I had an Olympus p&s camera, I forget the model, that was supposed to be waterproof to 15 feet for my Conquest cruise last year. The camera took great pictures. However, on snorkeling excursion in Cozumel, something happened and I received an error on the camera that told me to remove the card and wipe dry. I waited until I got out of the water, did as instructed and continued.. Nothing. The sad end to this story is that the waterproof Olympus was not waterproof. We lost every picture that we took on that cruise. I tried several photo retrieval programs and even sent the card to a lab in CA. The technician rom CA told me that the salt water had "Fried," the card and nothing could be retrieved.

I returned the camera and contacted Olympus with my complaint. I never heard a word from Olympus.

Hope it helps.

I have the 790SW--and it takes good photos in and out of water...

only problem with it...glare on LCD screen..there is no view finder...on this model...

I like not having to buy and develop film for throw away underwater cameras...just download to computer..

Thank you all for your quick responses!

Maybe I'm just used to my Sony SLR which steadies the photos.

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm looking for something that is compact, but I'm really afraid I'm too used to my DSLR.

I think what I may do is buy the camera and test it out for a few days. My camera shop allows you to return anything without having to pay the restocking fee. The only issue is that the windy, snowy MN weather isn't a good test for beautiful Mexican conditions, but I may be able to make it work. :p I just don't know if the quality will bother me too much.

I got the 850SW for Christmas and so far I've been impressed with the pictures. There are lots of different scene options that can help to make sure you've got the right settings in every scenario, but even just on the general setting it seems to do pretty well.

Our cruise is not until next month, so the only underwater pictures I've been able to to take was a test picture putting the camera in the bathtub and taking a picture of my cat who likes to sit on the edge. But have a friend with the same camera who took also just got the same camera and she's got some wonderful pictures of her daughter in the pool.

I read some mixed reviews on the camera before getting it, but so far I'm happy with it. I think you just have to be very diligent at making sure the battery/card compartment and USB compartment are sealed tight before you get in the water. The manual mentions several times to make sure you hear them click when you close it. Also, there are instructions on how to clean the camera when you get out of the water. Fingers crossed I won't have any trouble!

I got the 850SW for Christmas and so far I've been impressed with the pictures. There are lots of different scene options that can help to make sure you've got the right settings in every scenario, but even just on the general setting it seems to do pretty well.

Our cruise is not until next month, so the only underwater pictures I've been able to to take was a test picture putting the camera in the bathtub and taking a picture of my cat who likes to sit on the edge. But have a friend with the same camera who took also just got the same camera and she's got some wonderful pictures of her daughter in the pool.

I read some mixed reviews on the camera before getting it, but so far I'm happy with it. I think you just have to be very diligent at making sure the battery/card compartment and USB compartment are sealed tight before you get in the water. The manual mentions several times to make sure you hear them click when you close it. Also, there are instructions on how to clean the camera when you get out of the water. Fingers crossed I won't have any trouble!

My daughter also has this camera and just loves it! The pictures are so cool and the features she finds really fun to create pics!

We are yet to use it underwater but we will find out in 3 weeks

I bought a refurbed 1030SW off of Overstock.com auctions for less than the price of the 1050SW. So far I am impressed with the picture quality, both outdoors and indoors. Is it as good as my DSLR? No, but is it good enough for the convenience and safety around water and at the beach, yes.

I have the Olympus 1030SW (I also have the digital Canon Rebel) so this is just our "water" camera. It takes great pics both in and out of the water (inside and outside). I posted a couple of pics on our roll call (March 1st Valor) if you want to check those out. We got a great deal on this camera online from Dell.

We have the 1030SW also and it takes great shots indoor and outside. We have used it for shots of our boys play lacrosse and for pictures in the house. It is going to be fun to have on our upcoming Valor cruise, this will be the first time we test it in water. We did test it in the snow at my parents during Christmas and it took great pictures outside in the wet and cold.

My husband purchased the floating wrist strap from Olympus online to go with it.

He loves this camera and uses it as his point and shoot to compliment his Nikon D70. It met all his requirements - fits in pocket, water proof and drop resistant. All required when taking pictures of kids.

We also got a great deal on this camera from Dell.

I got the 850SW just before our holiday cruise. I had a lot of fun with it in the water until the second port when it just stopped working. The camera lady on the ship said several people had the same problem. I returned it to Costco without a problem but was very disappointed.

I have the 1030SW. I chose this one as it's waterproof to 30 ft, vs. the 10 ft of the 1050. I doubt I'll go much further than 10, but at least I don't have to worry about water depth!

My old P&S was only used as an underwater camera (I had the housing), so I don't expect to use this for much more than that - well, that and videos. This camera doesn't take the pictures my XTi does, but I didn't expect it to.

You won't get DSLR-quality pictures with the camera, but the pictures I've taken come out fine - haven't tested it underwater yet, though.

My only two complaints with it are the lack of viewfinder, and that on the LCD screen the color looks really bad - but the picture captured looks nothing like it.

I'm hoping someone who has this camera or another Olympus SW camera can help me...

I've been looking at the Olympus 1050SW and have been seriously considering buying it. It is a regular Point and Shoot (P&S), but it is also waterproof. However, when I was speaking with my camera guy at the shop today, he said that the photo quality is not the greatest. I currently have a Canon point and shoot and a Canon XSi (DSLR). My XSi is my main camera, but I still would like to have a P&S for convenience. My P&S is starting to get a little slow and would like to have something a bit newer and smaller. I love the quality of the A520 and it has rarely let me down in quality of photos.

I am going on the Spirit next week and would really like the waterproof features of the 1050, but I'm wondering if I want to compromise that for the quality of my current camera. I am not looking to buy a waterproof housing for my current P&S since it's not really convenient and I feel it would get used even less than a new camera.

Please help me. I'm pretty torn right now on what I should do. Money is not really the issue and that's not what would sway my decision either way at this point.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I have an Olympus 1050SW.

Pros: It's compact enough to keep in your pocket, and comes with a floatable wrist strap. The controls are fairly easy to figure out, and a 2 GB chip hols a lot of pics (1,800 on 5 Megapixels, I think...)

Cons: The quality isn't very good at all, especially for indoor photos. The flash takes a long time to recharge. Lots of blurry indoor photos. Outdoors seemed to work much better, but there was still a lot of distortion. I took ours to Las Vegas in December, and about half of my photos came out lousy. Maybe I'm just used to my Sony SLR which steadies the photos.

I'm going to take the Olympus with me on our cruise in May, but I'm only going to use it while in port. Otherwise, I'll use my Sony for all of my "good" photos.

Hope this helps -- :)

I have found that the Olympus underwater cameras are great beach/snorkeling cameras. Unlike most digital cameras, it can take coming out of the cold into a high humidity environment without moisture issues, and you can get sand all over it and rinse it off no problem.

It takes good pictures outdoors, but can be very grainy in low-light conditions. Always use the highest resolution you can, and indoors avoid the flash if you are more than a few feet away, as the camera tries to compensate for the flash and the results are not good.

Outdoors, I usually keep flash on for fill, especially underwater, and have had excellent results.

If your primary goal is awesome pic quality, you may want to look elsewhere, but if you want an inexpensive underwater camera that can take tons of abuse, I would highly recommend it.

The Olympus is a fine camera for its intended use. If you are going to compare the pics to a DSLR, of course you would be disappointed but then try taking the DSLR snorkeling without an expensive water tight case! I have a very early model - the 725SW and am totally happy using it for underwater shots and satisfied with above. It is great for the beach also as you do not have to worry as much about sand. However, the seals do not last forever and do need to be replaced, as I believe coprgeorge found out.

Here is one of my favourite underwater pics:

Caribbean667.jpg

Wow! Thank you all for your responses! It has certainly given me a lot to think about.

Is it as good as my DSLR? No, but is it good enough for the convenience and safety around water and at the beach, yes.

My husband purchased the floating wrist strap from Olympus online to go with it.

He loves this camera and uses it as his point and shoot to compliment his Nikon D70. It met all his requirements - fits in pocket, water proof and drop resistant. All required when taking pictures of kids.

Good points! I will certainly take all of this into consideration. And the sea turtle picture, Calgarygary? AMAZING! How close were you to the turtle?

Wow! Thank you all for your responses! It has certainly given me a lot to think about.

Good points! I will certainly take all of this into consideration. And the sea turtle picture, Calgarygary? AMAZING! How close were you to the turtle?

Turtle was about 4 feet away for that pic. It was taken on the Tiami 5 Star Excursion in Barbados.

Personally, I'd recommend buying a marine case for the camera you already have. Often you can find these on eBay at a good price for cameras that are no longer the current models.

I've read mixed reviews on the underwater cameras from Olympus and other companies that do not need a case for underwater use. While most people have no problems I've read enough comments from those whose cameras did leak and fail to make me want to keep away from them.

I have a 1030SW and have over 1500 shutter operations on it, most under water and am pleased with the results. As good as my DSLR, of course not, but then I don't even get close to the water with the DSLR! I prefer not to chance an underwater housing on the DSLR.

When we are going about the ship or if the weather is less than perfect in port, I carry the 1030SW in my pocket. i don't have to worry about it getting wet in the rain, sand in it on the beach, or if it gets banged around some.

The flash leaves something to be desired, but I never use flash underwater anyway. It illuminates all the "floaties" in the water. The macro functions are decent for a point and shoot. Not much of a telephoto function, but that's not why I bought it. Most of my underwater shots are wide angle. The macro setting with LED illumination works pretty good underwater for closeups of coral, etc. just watch where your shadow is falling from overhead sun.

although it has a few shortcomings (but, I could be spoiled by my DSLR), I am happy with it. $149.00 plus shipping on eBay last summer, new.

• 1 month later...

I had the 720SW and loved it. I have recently upgraded to the 1030 due to depth reasons. I read on the 1050, but didn't go with it simply because of the depth. The 1050 is rated up to 12 feet I believe, where the 1030 is up to 33 feet.

I never had a problem with my 720 in water, and used it numerous times...both salt and fresh water. I PRAY that I have no issues with my new 1030.

My daughter has the 850SW and just used it in the ocean and the buttons on top no longer work - won't press down like they are stuck GRRRR So the rest of the vacation she didn't have a camera - we sent it in for warranty repair - will see what they say I guess

Well I guess I missed the OP. :o

but I just wanted to chime in that I really like my 770SW.

I bought it in St. Thomas 2 yrs ago, and was using in underwater the next day after I bought it.

Never had a lick of problem with it.

Negatives - Paltry 3x zoom, and the lack of viewfinder.

In bright sun, the display washes out.

My Solution - I just bought a Lumix G1 for main picture taking, and will use the 770SW at the beach (and underwater)

My daughter has the 850SW and just used it in the ocean and the buttons on top no longer work - won't press down like they are stuck GRRRR So the rest of the vacation she didn't have a camera - we sent it in for warranty repair - will see what they say I guess

I'm thinking what may have happened in your case is, she didn't put it in fresh water when she got back to the room. The manual tells you how to clean the camera after you have it in salt water. Usually, the manual says to run water over the whole thing to flush out any sand or salt aned then put it in a bowl of fresh water for 10 mins and just let it soak. I have always done this to mine, and never had an issue. If she did this, well, I'm lost for words, lol.

Archived