• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Tips and Graditudes

texkan

First time on Princess this summer. Please tell me how tips and graditudes are handed on Princess.

Read on Princess site that graditudes are added to your room daily. I have sailed Celebrity and RCL. We are allowed to give cash in envelopes the last night of the cruise.

Need help as to what I would do on Princess.

Thanks

Tips are charged to your room daily (per person) and you settle the account on the last day. You can change the daily amount allocated if you wish. The daily amount covers the service you receive in the restaurants and that of your stateroom steward. Your drinks' bills will have a 15% automatic gratuity charge added.

First time on Princess this summer. Please tell me how tips and graditudes are handed on Princess.

Read on Princess site that graditudes are added to your room daily. I have sailed Celebrity and RCL. We are allowed to give cash in envelopes the last night of the cruise.

Thanks

Princess will automatically add a per-person/per-day gratuity to your portfolio. If you want to handle it with cash on your own (or to raise or lower the amount you want to tip) you can always go to the Purser's Desk and make those arrangements.

Personally, I like not having to hassle getting the envelopes, having to cash travelers checks to get cash, and then making sure they get in the right hands. If we get exceptional service from the steward, dining room server and asst., wine steward, the dining room management, or from a special bartender, I'll usually handle that with an extra cash tip just to let them know they're appreciated. And of course the room service waiter and baggage handlers still get cash tips at the time of service.

Princess will automatically add a per-person/per-day gratuity to your portfolio. If you want to handle it with cash on your own (or to raise or lower the amount you want to tip) you can always go to the Purser's Desk and make those arrangements.

Personally, I like not having to hassle getting the envelopes, having to cash travelers checks to get cash, and then making sure they get in the right hands. If we get exceptional service from the steward, dining room server and asst., wine steward, the dining room management, or from a special bartender, I'll usually handle that with an extra cash tip just to let them know they're appreciated. And of course the room service waiter and baggage handlers still get cash tips at the time of service.

Is the tip still $1.00 per bag?

Don't forget there are cards available at Purser's Desk for comments on the type of service you received. These go to the supervisor's and helps with promotions and raises. More money in the long run.:)

We leave the auto-tips in place and give additional tips for our steward and several others that gave wonderful service.

Thanks

In fairness to the wait staff under the Anytime Dining method of providing us with dining options, the system was changed to the daily "Hotel Charge" for gratiuites, as summarized by Sandytoes below. This charge goes to those wait staff and stewards you see, and also to those who support them behind the scenes. The Hotel Charge is shared proportionately to this pool of employees.

While this hotel charge can be adjusted, be aware that any special tip you might give to an individual will go to the pool IF the passenger has removed the Hotel Charge from their bill. Otherwise if the Hotel Charge is still in place, all the special tip goes to that employee.

We leave the hotel charge in place and then reward those who really provided memorable service by doing two things:

1. Provide an extra cash tip in an envelope, with our name and cabin number on the outside.

2. Write a "You Made a Difference" card, available from the Pursor's desk. These cards can influence future employment for that really good steward, waiter, etc.

Princess will add a gratuity of ill $10.50 per day, per person to your shipboard account ($11 for suites and mini-suites)

Envelopes are at Purser's desk if you choose to tip extra to those who served you well on your cruise.

I've done the mental math to say what I would have paid for dining etc here in Texas (or anywhere in the US) where I am an 18-20% tipper for good service. What I find is that I would have paid a lot more than $22/day for my wife and I, just by eating out at restaurants like Chili's and Outback. And that doesn't count the fact that the steward has kept our place spotless and neat. I think you will find the Hotel Charge (a.k.a. auto-tip, or gratuities) quite reasonable.

Happy Cruising on Princess !

For the stevedores at the port, yes, it is still $1-$2 per bag, sometimes $3 a bag if you feel generous. ;)

That's pretty much what we do. We usually check 2-3 bags and I'll usually give the porter a fiver. Just easier than digging for singles.

As the others have stated, we always leave on the autotips. Much easier than before when we would spend time on the last day digging through his wallet and my purse looking for the right bills to fill the envelopes. Now we just concern ourselves with the crew members we want to reward above the autotips, as well as the kids' program staff.

I don't think it was mentioned, but when you order room service, you should tip the server a couple of dollars. We haven't ordered room service in several years, so the exact amount I'm not sure of.

Princess will add a gratuity of ill $10.50 per day, per person to your shipboard account ($11 for suites and mini-suites) Envelopes are at Purser's desk if you choose to tip extra to those who served you well on your cruise.
One thing to know is that any tip received via envelope MUST be turned in by the recipient to the tipping pool. If the auto-tip has been left on to the $10.50/$11 per day, the recipient gets to keep it. Otherwise, it goes into the tipping pool and distributed accordingly. So, if you remove the auto-tip, the recipient doesn't get to keep it or get the amount they would via the auto-tip unless you've tipped more than the auto-tip. It's a complicated system, and one that's on the honor system for the crew and staff; if they are discovered to have kept a tip without reporting it, they could be fired on the spot, put off the ship and have to make their way home at their own expense. Few are willing to risk that (for all those who say, "Who's to know?")

The dictionary describes tip/gratuity thus:

A small present of money given directly to someone for performing a service or menial task; gratuity

A favour or gift, usually in the form of money, given in return for service

Something voluntarily given in return

Is that what we are speaking of?

Of course not! What is charged to our account is a service charge pure and simple. The fact that they make it elective is immaterial. It is a service charge. Please, let's all understand this so that we may return to a true and valued tipping system whereby one is given something FOR something not because he is on the roster.

A small present of money given directly to someone for performing a service or menial task; gratuity

Of course not! What is charged to our account is a service charge pure and simple. The fact that they make it elective is immaterial. It is a service charge. Please, let's all understand this so that we may return to a true and valued tipping system whereby one is given something FOR something not because he is on the roster.

I agree with you and that is what I liked about the policy on Celebrity. I was free to decide that amount I wanted to give the people that made my cruise a pleasure.

How do you suggest that happen??

I'd hardly call $10.50 a day a service charge, and I believe in giving according to what was received. That's why I will probably leave the auto tip on and stand in line for the envelopes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only done one cruise, on Princess, and generally like the idea of the autotip but I would like to give room steward a little something extra. What do people consider a reasonable range?

Archived