• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

what to wear - HELPPPPPPPPPP

Jamie J

Hi I posted here about 2 weeks back and didn't really get a clear reply on what is right to wear on formal nights on the cruise I am soon to go on. Can anyone help with advise. I am going on my first cruise with my parents and don't know what is or isn't acceptable on formal nights or semi formal nights. I am running out of time to buy anything and want to go shopping this weekend.

I have just turned 19 years old. The cruise we are going on is a 14 night trip through the Panama Canal aboard the Coral princess.

Please help me as I do want to fit in

Thanks

Jamie Jhttp://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hi Jamie J - Although I never sailed on Princess line, I have been on Royal Caribbean where there are formal and semi-formal nights. Appropriate attire can be anything from long gowns to cocktail dresses for formal nights. Even a dressy pants outfit would fit in - with some great shoes or sandals to accessorize. Semi-formal is usually cocktail dress, sun dress, or an outfit you might wear to church or fancy date. Once again you can't go wrong with dressy black slacks and pretty top or light sweater. You'll find some people really dress up (men even weat tuxedos) but not everyone does that. Good luck shopping. I'm sure you'll find lots of good stuff to wear. Enjoy your first cruise!

You will see woman in all types of clothes. Most wear long gowns or cocktail dresses but fancy pantsuits are also worn on formal nights.

basically any outfit you would wear to a wedding.

For semi formal....a pantsuit, dress, skirt and blouse, dress slacks and nice blouse.

For men. on formal.... a nice dark suit

on semi formal... dockers and shirt and tie, something you would wear to church.

NO Jeans, shorts, hats in dining room ever

Go to a local department store and look at the dresses in the "eveningwear" or "formalwear" department.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses are what you wear on formal night.

Men will wear either a tuxedo or a DARK suit.

Churchwear is NOT formal--it may be dressy, but it's not for a formal evening affair.

The Simple Black Dress goes formal or semi-formal depending on jewelry and shoes. I have sailed on Princess more than 20 times and have never seen men in Dockers on semi-formal night, always nice slacks. However, that doesn't mean anything other than I haven't seen Dockers. I have found Princess semi- and formal nights to be dressier than other similar cruise lines, meaning more suits and tuxedos on men, and long dresses on women - although on my last Princess cruise through the PC I wore a just below the knee length black cocktail dress on both semi- nights (different wraps, shoes and jewelry), and the same long black dress for formal nights. On our last cruise (not Princess) I decided I really needed to get out of the black thing as every single picture taken of us on those nights looked the same for the past 8 years:eek:, so I bought a knee length David Meister RED dress that was gorgeous, and we forgot to have a formal picture taken, go figure:p.

I think if you search through the other thread "What does your dress look like? ( and similar) you will find something appropriate. If I were your age, I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money on a true "ball gown" that you may never wear again, but would look for something you could actually wear to a dance. I'll find some pix and post them later today. Oh, and many bridesmaid dresses are appropriate - assuming you have actually worn a bridesmaid dress that you would ever wear again:D.

And don't stress too much over it: you probably won't ever see these people again, and your main job is to have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Hi Jamie J,

First of all, enjoy your cruise! This exact same cruise was my first cruise as well, over four years ago when the Coral was just a year old -- it was an amazing experience!

I think the most important thing is to pick outfits that you are comfortable in. A lot of girls your age are not particularly comfortable in dresses, having worn jeans most of their lives :). If you are one of them, I would suggest you look at a floor length, flowy skirt and top (dressy, but not ball gown formal) or what are referred to as "car wash" pants -- again, full length, but soft and flowy fabric, with a pretty, fancy top.

If you are comfortable in dresses, again, go with what suits your style and you feel good in. Could be cocktail length or floor length, in a colour you love... any colour goes, by the way.

I would suggest that you go shopping with a close friend or your mom; someone you are comfortable with who will give you their honest opinion. Try on EVERYTHING! You can't tell what might suit you unless you try things on. Have fun with it; take armloads of possibilities to the dressing room and try everything on. You will find something you like.

And, it doesn't have to cost a fortune if you don't have a fortune to spend. Have a look in discount sections, discount stores or even "high end" second-hand stores which often have great dresses that have only been worn once.

About shoes... strappy sandals are king of cruiseline formal wear, IMHO, especially since the weather on your cruise is likely to be very hot. Go for the highest heel you can manage, keeping in mind the floor will be moving slightly underneath you. Heels do wonderful things for the legs, but not if they end up in casts :eek:.

And, you can certainly do a lot with inexpensive accessories to glitz up a more casual look. You will find a lot of colour choices of pashminas right on the ship for about $20. A plain little black dress can be perked up if necessary with a lovely turquoise or silver pashmina and some inexpensive silver jewellery.

Most of all, keep your choices in line with your age; formal certainly doesn't mean "frumpy". I wish I knew how to post pictures here, but I'm sure some others can provide picture examples of the type of outfits you could choose from.

Hope you come back and let us know what you choose!

That depends on the cruise line.On some nice jeans are within the dining room dress code on nights other than formal/cruise elegant.

That is correct. I wear jeans and a cute top and heels on casual nights and fit right in. There are very few if any lines that forbid jeans anymore.

I just finished my 8th Princess cruise, so I feel fairly confident about my answer. First, there are no semi-formal nights. On the Panama cruise, you will have two formal nights and the rest are smart casual.

For formal nights, I agree with the other poster who said to wear what you would to a wedding. Long, short, bare if you wish... at 19 you should look fab in whatever you choose. I'm 51 and my figure requires a much more conservative and covered up look, but I love seeing the younger cruisers dressed to the nines. And really, you only need one formal outfit. No one will remember that you repeated an outfit.

The smart casual nights are just that. Dresses, capris and jeans with cute tops are just fine. Just try to keep the number of shoes in check :-) I know I can't.

Above all else, enjoy your cruise. Princess is great.

Hi I posted here about 2 weeks back and didn't really get a clear reply on what is right to wear on formal nights on the cruise I am soon to go on. Can anyone help with advise. I am going on my first cruise with my parents and don't know what is or isn't acceptable on formal nights or semi formal nights. I am running out of time to buy anything and want to go shopping this weekend.

I have just turned 19 years old. The cruise we are going on is a 14 night trip through the Panama Canal aboard the Coral princess.

Thanks

Think PROM type dress, you are 19 and there are so many cute evening/dressy type dresses for you young ones.

Thanks

Jamie, being 19 years old a good option for you is to wear some of your prom dresses for formal nights. If they're the non-poofy kind, those are even better. Both the long and the short ones will work. For the other nights skirts with camis work well (But the dining rooms are sometimes chilly so bring a sweater) Capris are also a good option.

Whatever you buy and whatever you wear, it will be fine. Use you're best judgement. You will see men in tuxedos/women in formals and men in everyday pants/women in sundresses, there is no real right or wrong - just have fun!

NO Jeans, shorts, hats in dining room ever

As another poster mentioned.......this depends on which cruiseline.

Some do allow shorts and jeans on casual nights. And since the op is sailing on Princess she should know that jeans are in fact allowed on casual nights.........

But to answer her question, a cute cocktail dress will do just fine on formal night........

The "formal" angle has been covered nicely by others. :)

What makes up "smart casual" is different for different people. I see it as what you would wear on a date to a moderately priced restaurant. If you wear jeans, they need to be "dressy" jeans, with no holes or fraying. No shorts, rubber flip flops, bathing attire is permited. I would suggest a nicer top than a plain t-shirt, but you'll see those worn. Sundresses have been the outfit of choice for girls your age on the cruises I've been on.

Have a blast!

Dockers are nice dress pants for men! With a collered shirt they are fine for men for smart casual nights! Without a tie! OP, I have a 23 year old and a 16 year old daughters. They wear very nice jeans with heals and nice tops, not t-shirts for a couple of the smart casual nights. Other nights black pants or skirt and nice top..or a sun dress. On formal nights they wear cute short dressy dresses. My 16 year old just got a strapless silver and black bubble hemmed dress and a off white pleated short greacian type dress with gold trim. Both are very cute. I purchased them both on sale. One at Macy's and one at Penney's and they both cost less than forty dollars each. Have a great time ...LPT

Jamie, at your age a cute little cocktail dress like you see in the Dillard's junior department would look perfectly appropriate.

Don't stress, unfortunately you will see all sorts of wear on "formal night," and a lot of it will not be formal or even "after 5." I think that is why you did not get a clear cut answer, formal night is no big deal anymore.

Now my famaily likes to participate and we like to dress up. My daughter, who is now 24, normally prefers the cocktail dresses, but she has also worn prom gowns in the past. She was 15 when she took her first cruise.

Archived