• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

TA's are they legally bound

Scotsnomad

Whilst out shopping we passed a reputable Travel Agency, in the window was an offer not to be missed. 10 nights cruise in the Carribean, 1st Nov 09. flying from Edinburgh. The initial price was £1657 per person, reducecd on mark down to £774 pp.

We enquired to it and were basically given the run around, offering a more expensive quote.

I feel that the shop through advertising this Holiday are legally bound to a make good their promise, even if it was a mistake. To end the conversation between me and the Company rep, she stated that that one had now been sold !. Initially she said it was still available, however after a discussion with the shop manager they decided to say it was no longer available, still advertising it in the shop windown.

When we left the shop they removed the 'miis-quoted item.....

Should I follow this up?

I'm not familiar with UK law, but it would be illegal in the US. The sign should come down from the window if the "one cruise/air combo was sold." I suspect that there was not one in the first place or they were looking to get more £ from you.

Whilst out shopping we passed a reputable Travel Agency, in the window was an offer not to be missed. 10 nights cruise in the Carribean, 1st Nov 09. flying from Edinburgh. The initial price was £1657 per person, reducecd on mark down to £774 pp.

We enquired to it and were basically given the run around, offering a more expensive quote.

I feel that the shop through advertising this Holiday are legally bound to a make good their promise, even if it was a mistake. To end the conversation between me and the Company rep, she stated that that one had now been sold !. Initially she said it was still available, however after a discussion with the shop manager they decided to say it was no longer available, still advertising it in the shop windown.

Should I follow this up?

Perhaps you could phone another branch and say..a friend saw this offer and you want to enquire about it ?

I know when I see an advertised price for a cruise, it is usually marked from and then the price. The price is generally the cheapest cabin and those can sell out quickly. The TA may have bought a block of cabins and sold the cheapest ones first.

I'd persue this again with them, finding out first what cabins are still available for purchase from RCI, to see if a different cabin may be added to the group. If you get an argument again, it may be time to visit another TA.

Either the company rep was totally incompetant or it was a ruse to get people into the shop, Im not sure.

A little bit more of investigation shows that this trip could not have even taken place, the reason is that the Independence of the Sea is still in European waters and nowhere need the Carribean....Alarm bells should have started ringing when they offered another company deal for 13 nights sailing around the Canaries..... (Mental note must try harder lol)

Either way, the offer didnt have

a. prices from......

b. They couldnt have brought a bloke amount as the price was £250 pounds below the best price offered....

c. They tried to make out that I was wrong, however the mistake was there for all to see in the shop window....

I've had a look at the Trades Description Act. I know if I go into a supermarket and the price is mislabelled and I complain loudly enough at the checkout I'll get the cheaper price..... I think however they are not obliged to sell it at that price.

This however is more difficult as they may very well have sold a holiday at that price and failed to remove the poster. If have the energy you could give your local trading standards dept a ring and have that conversation.

Should I follow this up?

I'm assuming they removed the sign after you left? It's possible they had a previous sale and forgot to take the sign down ... In that case I don't think they're obligated to follow through and I'd be inclined to let it go. But if you see that sign go back up, you could make a false advertising complaint to appropriate authorities.

Well they are a well known UK Travel agency, their names begins with 'T' but doesnt end with K and have two 'o' in their name...............

I just Love these trivia games pmsl......

I discussed the incident with my BH (Better halfs) son who works in a TA, he said that it is well known that this company are shoddy in their window displays.

I sent an email to the company advising them of my disgust over the incident and that in good faith I went into the shop to purchase/put down a deposit and from then on it went to rats !!! (Fell apart). If nothing else it might stop these shops doing this 'bad' practice.

I agree, its more than likely a gimmick to entice the public in, the hardest part done they try and flog you another holiday........still it would have been nice to have two cruises in one year.......oh such is life lol....

The item had been in the shop since Monday and it was on Thursday that we approached the reps, the female we talked to initially said it was still available.......Then the lies started

Reminds me of the Nationwide advert on TV - the one where he talks about the 'big fat worm of an interest rate' to get customers in...and then it doesn't exist.

See on your shipping history BTW that we are both past passengers on the Chitral many moons ago, and that we must have been in HK at the same time! Small world!

Not familiar with the laws in the UK, or even policies regarding TAs.

But in the U.S., if you go in a store and an there is a sign or a price sticker for/on an item the store has to honor that price. Even if it is an old sticker, or the sale ended last week, or whatever.

It is the store owners responcibility to change all the signs and price stickers when a price goes up or sale ends.

I would think that as long as he had a sign in his window advertising something at a certain price he has to make good on that.

Should I follow this up?

Do you recall when Argos advertised TV/DVDs for some ridiculously low price? They were not required to sell them at that price. Unless the law's changed I would assume the same goes for the TA.

I was Quarry Bay and my cousins were at KG V. Lived out past Stanley towards Shek O.

Funnily enough there is another Chitral-child on these boards too - "ToCanada" Andrew is another colonial who started cruising life on her.

Stayed MacDonald rd, Kennedy road and also near Deep water bay/Aberdeen area, luckily I had three trips there, last with navy......

Oh what fond memories !!

Archived