• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Back to back cruises...what incentive does a cruise line give as discounting?

Goldryder

Having never looked at a b2b cruise before, do cruise lines generally discount the cruises if taken together as an incentive to book, and if so, roughly what is the average discount percentage, please?

The cruises that I am looking at are two lasting a total of 33 nights (15 & 18 nights respectively).

We have been on one b2b2b and have two b2b's booked. All are with Princess. We did not get a significat discount by booking multiple cruises. The biggest savings we got was with airfare. In each case we are ending much closer to home than one cruise.

The two cruises I am looking at start in Singapore and end in Savona with a 3 night (staying on the ship) stop/passenger swap in Mumbai where the first cruise should end and new one begin.

At the moment the fares stack up well. I have to use cruise line air and am a solo cruiser, however, using the cruise line figures as per their website, it comes out at 2833 GBP or 4080 US$.

Compared to a Princess r/t Hawaii with flights at 2500 GBP or 3600 US$ for effectively 19 less days on the ship...it is good value.

I am just wondering what sort of incentive there would be to go for it :o

Depends on when you book and how well those cruises are selling. They may not feel the need to offer any incentive to get you to book both. Of course, booking earlier gives you better odds of getting the same cabin for both cruises.

Usually the bargains on b2b come with a repositioning as one of the legs. My upcoming HAL cruise is a 14 day Panama Canal transit coupled with a TA FLL to Rome. they also listede it as a 32 day, which is what I booked. There was significant saving booking the two together as opposed to booking separately. However, you need to price both legs separately...Last Fall, Princess had Pacific P. doing an Athens to Venice, coupled with Venice to Manaus. The full cruise was 21 days, but when priced out, you saved $1400 booking the legs separately! Go figure. EM

I have sone several B2B on Cunard, but have never received any discount.

One thing which may happen is tht you will have two different cabins for the two "sections" of the total cruise.

For April on QM2 I have a cabin on deck 6 for the Eastward bound cruise , but have been told that as yet they have not allocated cabins for the other half of the trip, and that I "may have to change cabins at Southampton" I am hoping that is not so.

It is not something you can receive details of "upfront" as far as I know.

Both cruises that I am looking at are repositioning...basically its a 33 night repo that has been split into 2 cruises.

The cost of each, with the one way flight each end included, is 1407GBP for the first half and 1426GBP for the second half.

They are not advertised as a single cruise though, just as two individual ones.

They are great value when knocked together, but no harm in trying to get the fare down further still, is there? :o

Just to update this, I contacted Costa direct and they agreed to a very good reduction in fare for the combined cruises with flights included, so once my TA is available, I will be booking the b2b. So next April, all being well, I will be away for 34 nights cruising from Singapore to Savona via Mumbai (amongst other places) :)

Should have it all confirmed in about 10 days time when my TA is back from his break.

Just to update once more.

I called Costa today and they have taken the booking for the cruise and will transfer it to my agent when he gets back from his holiday. The cruise is classed as a single voyage and not a b2b, so I have the same cabin throughout and will not have to go through the immigration formalities at Mumbai where the first leg ends and 2nd leg begins which should make things alot easier all round :)

I am well pleased as this is equivalent to a double world cruise segment in a single cabin with air from Costa for just over 2500GBP, which is a steal and since I have already sailed on Allegra and I like her and her crew, I went for it :)

Archived