• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

specialty restaurants

moneys_sol

Yes, the are open on the first night. Talking to a dinning room manager, he thought that the first night in the dinning room isn't the best so we went to Sabatini's instead.

A lot of traditional dinners want to meet their waiter so they wouldn't do a specialty restuarant. It was very quiet that night.

Just be aware that the smaller ships (tahitian etc) alternate sabatinis and steak house so on embarkation day only one would be open.

But I was assuming you meant the bigger ships.

We're taking our second cruise on the Emerald in September (first was the Diamond last July). I was under the impression that you could only make reservations at Sabatini's and the Crown Grill on the same day you were dining. Is that incorrect? Can I make a reservation the first day of the cruise for a subsequent day? I found on the Diamond I would call early in the morning and the only availabilities were very early or very late. It seemed odd that they would have filled up quite that quickly so early in the morning if you could only make same day reservations.

Thanks for any information.

We're taking our second cruise on the Emerald in September (first was the Diamond last July). I was under the impression that you could only make reservations at Sabatini's and the Crown Grill on the same day you were dining. Is that incorrect? Can I make a reservation the first day of the cruise for a subsequent day? I found on the Diamond I would call early in the morning and the only availabilities were very early or very late. It seemed odd that they would have filled up quite that quickly so early in the morning if you could only make same day reservations.

For the specialty restaurants you can make reservations as soon as your board for anytime during the cruise. If you have a particular night/time you want to dine, it is best to make the reservation as soon as possible.

They all use the same ploy. The want to fill it up very early and very late. You can sometimes walk by during in between hours and see empty restaurants. If we decide on a specific day in advance, we make a res in advance. I have never not gotten a same day reservation when we elected to do it that way.

For the specialty restaurants you can make reservations as soon as your board for anytime during the cruise. If you have a particular night/time you want to dine, it is best to make the reservation as soon as possible.

They all use the same ploy. The want to fill it up very early and very late. You can sometimes walk by during in between hours and see empty restaurants. If we decide on a specific day in advance, we make a res in advance. I have never not gotten a same day reservation when we elected to do it that way.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Neither was open the first night on The Island on our cruise beginning February 12th 2009.

Mike:)

I have never even considered doing specialty dining the first night. Usually we're too tired and most often don't even go to the diningroom.

I have one more question (for now ;)). Can the reservations for the Specialty Restaurants be made at the restaurants or do they have to be made by calling DINE? I would think you might get a more desireable time if you make the reservation face to face.

Again, thanks for your help.

We've done it both ways and it didn't seem to matter - they were never even close to half full anytime we went - your mileage may vary.

I have one more question (for now ;)). Can the reservations for the Specialty Restaurants be made at the restaurants or do they have to be made by calling DINE? I would think you might get a more desireable time if you make the reservation face to face.

Again, thanks for your help.

Archived