• Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Currency Conversion?

beerstorm

Could someone explain to me how carribean currency

conversion works.I am going on the rahpsody of the seas in

march from australia i am told currency on board is U.S dollars but i can have my on board account finalized to my credit card and have it converted in the currency of my card.Does this mean things will be cheaper or does this mean things will be more expensive it depends which way it is converted can sombody who has had the experience set me straight on this ...:confused:

Could someone explain to me how carribean currency

conversion works.I am going on the rahpsody of the seas in

march from australia i am told currency on board is U.S dollars but i can have my on board account finalized to my credit card and have it converted in the currency of my card.Does this mean things will be cheaper or does this mean things will be more expensive it depends which way it is converted can sombody who has had the experience set me straight on this ...:confused:

As per the cruise documents issued to me for a recent sailing in Europe, the onboard currency conversion authorisation options are as follows:

( )A. I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card i.e. I choose to use RCI currency conversion program, the terms of which are:

This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg plus a 3% international currency fee :eek:. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate effective at the time the amounts are charged to my card without further consultation.

( )B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the RCI currency conversion program, in which case the terms are:

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion :(.

On the above basis, your decision will probably be governed by how much your credit card issuer will charge you. If it is less than the 3% fee charged by RCI that would normally be the way to go ;).

Hope this is of help.

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks for the info cu onboard that makes sense but what i am getting at is for eg: if a beer costs $3.00US dollars and the exchange rate at the time is 70cAUD to the US dollar will that beer cost me $2.10AUD or will it work the other way and cost me $3.90AUD .

Every Caribbean port I've been to accepts US currency with no problem. However, if you would like an idea as to the exact exchange rate (bank not ship or money broker) go to xe.com. This site will give you all the conversion information you would ever want.

Every Caribbean port I've been to accepts US currency with no problem. However, if you would like an idea as to the exact exchange rate (bank not ship or money broker) go to xe.com. This site will give you all the conversion information you would ever want.
They are talking about paying off their on board accounts with a credit card and the best method to use, not what to use in ports.

Thanks for the info cu onboard that makes sense but what i am getting at is for eg: if a beer costs $3.00US dollars and the exchange rate at the time is 70cAUD to the US dollar will that beer cost me $2.10AUD or will it work the other way and cost me $3.90AUD .

G'day beerstorm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, if the exchange rate at the time of settling your onboard account at the end of your cruise is 0.7AUD = 1.0USD then the price of your 3USD beer will cost you 4.28AUD :eek:. To make matters worse, either RCI or your credit card issuer will charge a currency conversion fee on top :(.

As they say in your neck of the woods - no worries mate :p.

Archived