• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

LA outdoor hotel swimming pools?

Genghis Khan

When we have a pre-cruise stay next January, is it reasonable to expect that the hotel pools are generally heated and open? I know the weather at that time of year can be a bit cool but if we catch a break with some warm temps it would be nice to have that option. Any recommendations on a nice pool scene? Not expecting a swim-up bar but a convenient lounge and/or pool-side service would be great.

We are leaving from San Pedro but are willing to stay most anywhere as long as it's got an LA atmosphere. Have heard of the Sportsman's but also that the pool area is frequently taken over by other activities (that would suck!).

The Sportsman lodge is in Studio City and has been around 60 years it has recently undergone a renovation and alot of events are held there from weddings to bar mitizas, corporate meetings it has a bar and nightly small piano type enterainment. with a resturant also attached . I have never seen pool side service they have a large pool and i'm sure it is heated if the temp drops but it should be around 70-75 in January here. I would however check how many events are happening while your there , you could be swimming when a bride and her party is roaming around the courtyard. San Pedro is a good 1 1/2 freeway time from Studio City depending on time of day . In San Pedro very close to the docks is the Crowne Plaza it is 5 mi from Trump golf course 8 mile from long beach aquarium. and a little sea village port o call . Terminal island isnt far Ft. McArthur Military Museum is also close it depends how long you are thee and what you want to do.

Thanks for the response gemcruiser. We will likely fly in at three nights early, partly to build in any cushion in case of bad weather (and delays) in Minnesota but mostly to see some of the LA sights. Only mentioned the Sportsmans because of what I've heard to be a nice pool and the historical ambiance. Would probably be more inclined to stay closer to the coast but wouldn't dismiss any location if the value was there (<$350/nite). Somewhat inclined towards Santa Monica because I think we could forgo the car and parking rates. Have been there briefly a year or so ago and sense that the area would keep us occupied for a few days and nights and could cab from there if we had to have a diversion. Not opposed to Long Beach or San Pedro but thought Sanat Monica or South Beach(?) might offer a little nicer venue.

I'd go with Santa Monica...a $350/night budget means you'll have some choices...Check to see what you can get at Loew's, Le Marigot, Shutters or the Miramar...Otherwise, there are several others at lower rates in the area...

Pools in most hotels in LA will be open virtually year round and heated...

Good luck...

I'd go with Santa Monica...a $350/night budget means you'll have some choices...Check to see what you can get at Loew's, Le Marigot, Shutters or the Miramar...Otherwise, there are several others at lower rates in the area...

Pools in most hotels in LA will be open virtually year round and heated...

Good luck...

Thanks Bruin, that's the info I was hoping for. Any personal experiences or observations regarding one pool being any better (view, size, layout, tiki-bar, ambiance, etc) than the others of the locations you mentioned? Not always easy to decipher the web-site photos and I think I've looked at all of those but Shutters. Will look into that one too.

First of all check out my pics and review of Sportsmen's Lodge here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=12760409

It is unquestionably the best pool in Los Angeles, and one of the few that is heated year round!

(Do NOT be mistaken, there is a surprising number of LA hotel pools that are not heated, except in late Spring and Summer, and some are not heated at all!)

If that is important to you, you need to be 100% sure on any hotels that you check into.

Personally, for what you are looking for...

I don't think you can do much better than Sportsmen's Lodge.

They do have pool food and drink service!

I'd highly recommend trying to get one of the rooms with the balcony on the pool level (you can hang out on your balcony, get food and drink service, stroll to and from the pool and jacuzzi)...

In fact, the Rat Pack and Elvis hung out here and did exactly that!

Also, I'm there all the time, and I've never heard of it being taken over or being bothered by other activities.

Any of those activity things are not taking place around the pool (makes sense when you get there and see it).

Thanks CJW I think we would enjoy what you have described. Appreciate all your advice and read your thread on Sportsman's. Somewhat confused about the recent ownership change and negative impact (development) it may have on the property as a whole. Are the Conference Center/Restaurant/Hotel separate entities on to them-selves? Thought I saw that the viability of the trout pond was up in the air. It would be a shame if they started modernizing the property only to lose what seems to make it unique. Can't imagine there is to many of the old hang-outs left in LA any more.

Let me first say that I've lived in LA virtually all of my life, so I have rarely had the reason to stay in many of the hotels here...Most of the hotels I do know, I know from attending events there--Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, Business Meetings, lunches/restaurants...There are only a few I have ever actually stayed in...In this regard, my compadre Curt knows LA hotels much better than I do as he's made a study of them for business reasons and such...

That said, one I do have personal knowledge of...and recent personal knowledge...is Loew's...For some particular reason, a couple of months back, I found myself spending a weekend at Loew's in the most incredible suite in the house--Room #802--the "Santa Monica" Suite....Of course, it's alittle out of your price range at about $2,000 per night, depending on the dates...

But, staying in this room, you do really appreciate what is special about this hotel...The suite is three rooms (bedroom, dining room, living room) plus two bathrooms, total 1200 square feet...but the views, starting from your right as you enter the suite in the living room are the pool area, view up the coast toward Malibu, the Santa Monica Pier and the beach...

They light the Pier (all of the rides and everything) up at night and the scene is really incredible...and the beach is right there, the pier is just slightly to the north of the hotel...

I'll leave Sportsmen's to Curt...but I'll try to give you a rundown of Santa Monica area options...keeping in mind that view, ambiaance and amenities are of importance to you and that your anticipated price range does put some of these options into the realm of possibility...Note that any prices I throw out here are rough ideas and not date specific--also, many hotels offer special rates--AAA, Senior, non-refundable, internet, special packages, etc....and many are somewhat negotiable...or might be improved on using various booking websites...

The Sportsmen's Lodge MAY have a "better" pool, but the view from the pool at Loew's...or from many of the rooms...is an unmatched LA experience...

Of course, the price is quite a bit higher as well...$300 is, depending on the dates, the approximate starting from rate for standard rooms...

Le Merigot is pretty much right next to Loew's and I'll assume the views are similar...the prices are in the same ball park, I believe...

Shutters is just a little down the beach, but may be even more pricey--like starting around $450...

The Fairmont Miramar is not on the beach...it is up on the top of the cliff...or rather, across Ocean Boulevard from Palisades Park, the cliffs above Coast Highway...It's the older first rate hotel of Santa Monica and is very close to Third Street Promenade...

Those are the four "top" hotels of Santa Monica--with the best amenities...and the highest prices...

There are other lower priced hotels in the area--some small independents...and some lesser chains without the "Five Star" panache of these four...There's a Doubletree on Fourth Street that has rates starting at under $200...but you're not on the beach and there won't be great views... Same with the Sheraton Delfina at 5th and Pico...

Holiday Inn is on Colorado, very close to the Pier and Third Street Promenade...but not on the beach and sort of hangs right over the Freeway--so traffic noise MIGHT be an issue depending on the room...but rate start around $150/night...but some will say you get what you pay for...

And, there are a number of smaller independent hotels in this area...I know Curt likes the CalMar...of course, this is a budget entry--pretty much the other end of the spectrum of the hotel world from Five Stars like Loew's or Shutters...

Thanks Bruin for the great info, I appreciate the time and effort. Gives us a good place to start watching rates from. It seems we are way too far out for Hot Wire and Priceline (for next January) and I wonder if what I see coming up now in May or June would be lower (off season?) than what I may see for next winter. Do see a $279 rate for Loews but think that may be a non-refundable, PIF rate that I would be inclined to hold-off on at this time.

Anyone else with any other hotel pool-side observations or recommendations that capture the Southern California mystique?

I'll give a little more info about Loew's (I also don't stay in hotels here in LA since I live here -- except for a pre-flight stay one night) but in the past I remember the American Film Market using Loew's as a staging hotel (that's where a lot of wheeling and dealing among producers and filmmakers would go on -- I've been away from that business for ten years now, so I'm not up on things currently). So it must be rather snazzy. Only been inside once for an event. Again, some years ago.

I'll give a little more info about Loew's (I also don't stay in hotels here in LA since I live here -- except for a pre-flight stay one night) but in the past I remember the American Film Market using Loew's as a staging hotel (that's where a lot of wheeling and dealing among producers and filmmakers would go on -- I've been away from that business for ten years now' date=' so I'm not up on things currently). So it must be rather snazzy. Only been inside once for an event. Again, some years ago.[/quote']

Hmmmmm....gave some guy named Spielman, or Spiegelberg an idea for a movie about Extra-Terrestrials regenerating DNA to make a big shark. He looked at me kinda funny but then called someone on his cell-phone all excited-like as he ran off down the Santa Monica Pier yelling back to me that he'd "be in touch". He didn't ask my name or phone number and of course I never heard from him again. Do you think he might be there?

Archived