• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Pros & Cons of Early or Late Dining Solstice?

Linco711

I'd like to know the pros and cons of early and late dining. When I cruised RCCL we had late dining and it was the right choice. We were able to see the shows before dinner. I've hard that the shows on solstice are 8:45 or 11:00.

The 11:00 show time seems a little late for me and we will miss the first show time:mad: We also cruise Disney and enjoyed the late dinner with less children. But we weren't concerned about the shows then.

Are the shows worth staying up for? I's just like to hear all your opinions......Thanks in advance

Sometimes the show for late diners was before dinner.

Life seems easier for late diners, with less rushing. Also, the one Celebrity cruise we did with early dinner meant we never got to try the sushi because it is served from 6-9 and so we were either at dinner or full. On Solstice, we had a sushi snack each day to tide us over for dinner.

One of the great things about Solstice is that you are often in port later but with early dinner, that would be irrelevant since you'd be rushing back to the ship for 5 to shower and get ready for a 6pm dinner. That's not for us!!!

I love sushi and would love to have sushi and a drink before dinner.:) I wouldn't like being rushed to get ready for an early dinner either. I'm just an "early to bed" kind of gal. I usually get up early to exercise, so am usually out by 11:00. Maybe I'll just have to have one of those wonderful specialty coffees I've been reading so much about to help keep me awake, and try to nap during the day. ;)

Thanks for your opinions. They are valued!

Does anyone know if late dining in the Med is a little bit later, even? In the Carib it's 8 or 8:30, can't remember which, but on the Solstice in the Med I wonder if it will be at 9. I think I read something on a post - maybe about Galaxy in the Med last year that said it was later.

I believe it is 30 minutes later. We have only sailed RCL in the Med. They did it so that one level of the MDR ate at 6, one at 6:30. Then, it was 8:30 and 9. If you don't want late, you will have no trouble getting early since most Europeans seem to view eating at 6 as only for the very youngest of children.

We like late seating for the simple fact that you don't have to rush back to the ship on "port days" to get ready, as some already mentioned. Also having sushi as an app at 6pm is a plus. It beats the canapes you get at 5pm. :)

As I recall, the show for late seating was before dinner mainly on "sea days" only.

On cruises during vacation periods, most families eat at the early seating, if that is a concern.

Dinner at 6 or 6.30 is a very North American thing. In Europe, many restaurants are not even open then, and dinner is often taken well after 9. pm.

We are on an eastbound TA. The clock will go back an hour almost every day for the first week, so early diners will be eating dinner at 2:30 by their biological clock as soon as we cross the ocean.

To me, the chance to rest up between a shore excursion and dinner is worth the wait.

Paul

Archived