• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Immunization for travel?

goldenpup

Is it necessary to get certain immunications? Especially for yellow fever when traveling to Dominican Republic? I read something in the travel document, however I am slightly confused on it. Any information to share would be helpful. We are traveling on Royal Caribben in 3 weeks.

Thanks everyone

Is it necessary to get certain immunications? Especially for yellow fever when traveling to Dominican Republic? I read something in the travel document, however I am slightly confused on it. Any information to share would be helpful. We are traveling on Royal Caribben in 3 weeks.

Thanks everyone

Hi. You don't say where you live, but if you call your local department of public health (health Dept), ask to speak to the nurse or doctor who is informed about giving travel immunizations and they can tell you what shots you need and how much they will cost, and where you can get them. Good luck, me

Hi!

there;s a fine line between required and recommended..

if you get figure out the documentation that was sent

you need to make a couple of phone calls

1. call RCCL for clarification, get the name of who you speak with

2. call your doctor they have a better idea of your medical needs and whether you need the shot or not and if they want you to have a medical waiver.

also check out this website

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationDominicanRepublic.aspx

I agree that figuring out the documentation they provide is the key - it sounds like we MUST do this and I did check CDC and they have an alert effect Feb 2009 about Dominican Republic an yellow fever BUT, I don't know if they are requiring it because it appears that it is other Caribbean areas where outbreaks have occured.

Thanks for you advise

I am on medication that makes me vulerable to infections, and my doctor told me that I do not need any immunizations for my cruises. It isn't like we are spend a lot of time in the dense jungles of these locations.

Of course you should check w/ your doctor if you are concerned.

Have a great cruise!

I agree with dibbitz and where2next, you need to make some calls.

Talk with your doctor about your travel plans.

He or she knows your health best and your needs to protect you.

He or she can provide you with telephone numbers, if you need one or some, for your nearest travel medicine facilities to see what, if any, immunizations you may need for your itinerary, get immunizations, if unable to get them at your physicians office, and information about eating, drinking, insects, precautions, things you can do to minimize problems if you encounter some along the way, etc. And the travel health agency can assist your doctor in prescribing the correct medicine needed for the areas you will be visiting.

You are getting very close to your travel date, so don't delay in getting ahold of your physician and travel clinic.

Some medicines get started before your trip.

For instance, the clinic we went to in Indianapolis advised that hubby and I take medicine for Malaria (Belize and Roatan - we didn't take meds for our first trip there, but after getting mosquito bites during that trip, I felt it would be better taking Malaria meds for the second trip). We had to take a pill each day for the two days before the trip, then one pill each day of the trip, then one pill each day for a week following the trip.

The clinic also recommended that hubby and I get Hepatitis A shots. What we were given requires two shots, we were told. The first shot gives 80% and the second shot, given 6 months after the first provides the remaining 20%. So hubby and I still have the second shot to look forward to since we were to close to the travel date to get that one in.

The clinic also advised hubby and me to get Typhoid shots (one for each of us) but I think the nurse may have adjusted the dosage due to travel date.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Make sure your tetnus and basic inoculations are up to date

Consult your doctor as to what is best for you

DR

They have an outbreak of DENGUE fever

Take insect repellant with DEET

There have been recent indications of an increase in the incidence of dengue fever in some areas of the Dominican Republic. The greater Santo Domingo area (the capital) and the city of Santiago appear to be the most affected regions. The Ministry of Health in the Dominic Republic has implemented insect control measures to minimise the spread of dengue fever. Residents and travellers are advised to take appropriate precautions to protect themselves from contracting dengue fever by using mosquito repellent (DEET), and avoiding swampy or low lying areas where mosquitoes are more prevalent. Using such physical barriers such as mosquito nets, long sleeved shirts and other physical protections are also recommended. People experiencing flu-like symptoms (loss of energy, fever, aching joints and muscles) are advised to seek medical attention immediately.

A good site to check is

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/mamerica_carib/index.php

I think it is always good to check with you doctor or travel clinic to see what is best for you.

Now, we have traveled all over the world and only taken a Malaria prophylactic when in central Africa - where we spent two weeks. As for day visits to the Caribbean, including Belize, Roatan, Panama, and many other places - we were never asked nor was it recommended to take any type of prophylactics or vaccines.

We use the travel clinic at our local international airport. The Dr.s there know the most up to date info on threats in specific areas. Ex. When we traveled to central Africa, they could determine the specific strain of Malaria that is prevalent (very prevalent) and gave an Rx for that strain.

One thing that we are aware of are side effects of some of the vaccines and prophylactics. Make sure you are aware of any side effects, too.

Bring bug repellent with DEET if you are going into warn moist areas (rain forests etc).

JMHO - do what you feel right for you and your situation.

When you are talking to your doctor or a clinic make sure you explain to them that you are on a cruise and are only going to be in XXX location for 1 day so that they can make a determination. It's a little different visiting for 12 hours on a cruise ship versus staying for a week.

It also makes a difference based on your overall health issues, as someone else mentioned. Another consideration is that there are diseases which were once almost unheard of, that are now coming back or increasing in areas....but I think it is time to make some calls as some of these vaccines may need to be ordered or may need some time to take effect. In the state in which I work, a lot of the less common vaccines are not handled in every area but may require that you go to another area to recieve the shot. Also, keep in mind, that if the nurse suggests that you need other shots, it does not mean she is trying to "pump up her business" as a friend of mine once said. She is doing her job which is to inform you as well as treat you.

I subscribe to the view of talking to your doctor...who probably won't know anything but will refer to you public health office or travel clinic or nurse. They all seem to subscribe to the same program but at least you will get good advice and the advice you should have. I am not at all certain you need many shots for cruise vacations, if any at all...but I also don't think that you should rely on the advice you get re this topic on these boards, we are not the experts.:)

Well there is an old saying Prevention is better than cure :)

last year before Cruising Caribbean my district nurse checked up on this and informed us that it would be a good safe guard for us and it does last upto 10yrs another thing is we had to wait for 6 weeks for supply as its not a medicine doctors keep in local surgery back here in Scotland :(

Archived