• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Uk Cruiser with o2 Blackberry Question

cavkc

My DH has a Blackberry on the o2 network.

Has anyone used one of these phones on an RCI ship whilst at sea, using their onboard cell phone tower?

Also, RCI quote $7.95 for people to telephone a ship, however you pay international call charges on top of this. Does anyone know approximately how much someone is charged when calling from the UK.

Many thanks

My DH has a Blackberry on the o2 network.

Has anyone used one of these phones on an RCI ship whilst at sea, using their onboard cell phone tower?

Also, RCI quote $7.95 for people to telephone a ship, however you pay international call charges on top of this. Does anyone know approximately how much someone is charged when calling from the UK.

Many thanks

The price for using your phone varies by carrier, call O2 and ask them what the charges would be, they are normally around $2.50 per min.

The $7.95 per min is to call the actual ship, not a mobile on the ship. The international call charge would be whatever the caller normally pays to call the US, and that will vary once again by provider in the UK, for example, my parents have a plan where they can call the US for free.

For someone to call your blackberry from the Uk while you are on the ship, would cost them the same as it would if you were at home, they are calling a local mobile number, so calling the blackberry would be a lot cheaper than calling the ship

The price for using your phone varies by carrier, call O2 and ask them what the charges would be, they are normally around $2.50 per min.

The $7.95 per min is to call the actual ship, not a mobile on the ship. The international call charge would be whatever the caller normally pays to call the US, and that will vary once again by provider in the UK, for example, my parents have a plan where they can call the US for free.

For someone to call your blackberry from the Uk while you are on the ship, would cost them the same as it would if you were at home, they are calling a local mobile number, so calling the blackberry would be a lot cheaper than calling the ship

Sorry, my post was a little confusing.

I am not bothered about the charges for using the Blackberry as we know what they will be. My query is whether it will actually work when at sea.

I know the $7.95 is to call the actual ship, which may need to be done in the event that the Blackberry doesn't work. It does say on RCI's website that they apply an international charge is you are outside the US, above the $7.95

My O2 mobile has worked on all ships even in the middle the Atlantic - you connect via the ship's satellite...I use it most days to send SMS (and need to check the football scores via the BBC website..!) and my monthly bill is never more than £5 more than usual. I do have an O2 global dialling package so this may help keep the prices down. I have not made or received calls though.

• 2 months later...
Any hidden charges apart from RCI internet charges - using a BB to surf the web using wifi onboard ?

jj......

WiFi isn't free onboard so you will also have to pay for a wifi package onboard.

The mobile phone rate stays the same in ports but the rate when you are onboard is agreed to rate between O2 and RCI and I know with Verizon (my carrier) it is $2.49.min as opposed to $.99/min while in the ports. So you need to call O2 and inquire what rate they have agreed upon and that rate will apply whether you call someone while onboard or someone from land calls you while you are onboard. Both rates are still a lot cheaper than using the phone in each cabin. :eek:

Update: Just got my O2 bill for last month. I sent SMS every day to update my Facebook status and several other texts. Every SMS was free, access to the BBC site was free and my bill was about £2.50 more than usual for 12n cruise.

Archived