Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kakarp

St. Kitts – Trouble in paradise

You Yanks crack me up with your parochial attitude to life.

But, I do love that about the express lane to death row in Texas (yee ha).

Did not feel unsafe in St. Kitts at all!! My husband, 12 year old daughter and I were just there on Feb 14th. We took a taxi to White house bay and did some awesome snorkeling (sunken ships and octopus!)!!! White House bay is one well kept secret!! We had the beach to ourselves....there was no one else there...and there were HUGE conch shells and big chunks of coral everywhere. The taxi driver dropped us off and agreed to pick us up in two hours. While there, some locals came through collecting shells, and they said hello to us, and that was that. We finished a little early and proceeded to sit by the side of the road to wait for our driver. Some people slowed down to see if we needed help, or a ride...that's it. Never felt unsafe.

Our driver did indeed come back (that was my only fear) and he took us to Brimstone Hill fortress which was pretty neat...got some great pictures...but really hot to walk around that day. Then we went back into town and did some really nice, really cheap souveneir shopping. It was a great, safe, day!

We've been to St. Kitts twice on cruises, and were impressed with the natural beauty of the place, especially the southeast peninsula and Cockleshell Beach. We hope to get to Nevis on a ship-sponsored excursion this Fall.

DavidnSteph

Were last there in Dec. Took a tour of the whole island with Thenford Grey. One of the best tours we've ever done and Mr. Grey is top notch. Wandered around in town after we got back and never once felt uneasy or threatened.

We did the same in Nov and really liked it there.

we have been there twice in 07 and 08 and plan on going back this year. It is truly a beautiful peaceful place. I never felt pressured or unsafe for one minute. I do feel that way in Antigua and some places in St Thomas. There aren't a lot of tourist activities as with other islands, but it's natural, unspoiled beauty is amazing. We spent the first visit on a short tour of the salt pond side of the island and then at the beautiful Marriott resort. This past November, we hired our favorite taxi driver for the whole day and really got to explore the beauty of the island from a hike through the rain forest, to a visit to the black rock beach where the volcano flowed 400 years ago. We then spent the afternoon at Cockleshell beach. Haven't read of any crime against tourists or cruise ship passengers here or anywhere else; check out the Antigua boards and you'll see plenty of stories. Maybe that's because the government takes crime more seriously on St Kitts. The lack of development makes it even more special so I really don't agree with the writer of the article. Sounds like he had an axe to grind with the death penalty to me. Enjoy St Kitts and don't worry about being safe there.

Wow, 21 murders in a year with only 32,000 people. That is a big number. How many others were robbed, shot, raped and did not die? We will not be booking a cruise that goes to St. Kitt. or we will not get of the boat. Of course we are police officers, we are used to carrying our guns.

and none of those were against tourists or you would have read about it here. It's one of the safest cruise stops in the Caribbean. And that comes from a chicken who wandered off the ship early in the am in Antigua and got cold chills walking around there; headed right back to the ship to wait for the hubby to go with me. I wouldn't hesitate to wander around the pier shopping area in St Kitts alone.

Apparently St Kitts has a law allowing capital punishment for capital crimes.

Seems like the person who wrote the article might not support capital punishment.

I would think you might rest easier

with the knowledge a convicted murderer isn't going to be running around St Kitts any longer...

.. Just shows law enforcement and the judicial system is doing their job and that will help to keep St Kitts safe for you.

I agree too.

A bit more of that stuff in all these islands would bring some/most local idiots to their senses!

Executions send strong messages ;)

and most sane local people on these islands strongly support capital punishment.

We know who we're dealing with.;)

Was in St. Kitts a few days ago and loved it! The people, the island...everything about it! Did not feel unsafe once.

I don't understand why you should worry.The guy killed his wife.They did a good thing executing him.

People kill everywhere-can't get away from that.

Please tell me this isn’t the norm.

Attached is a link to a store in my local paper. The DW and I will be on the Miracle heading to St. Kitts on March 13.

Please give my your experiences about St. Kitts

http://telegram.com/article/20090222/COLUMN22/902220366/1020/NEWSREWIND

Thanks Kevin

The article in your local paper by Robert Z. Nameth who stated "While the place has retained many of its endearing qualities, it is rapidly becoming an example of what mindless economic development, westernization and the erosion of human values can do to a once idyllic enclave. Much of the crime stems from American-style gang wars inspired by drug trafficking".

Sure he wasn't describing Florida ??!...The same things have happened here in "in the last 15 years". (And longer !) We are surrounded here by everything he has described in his article about St. Kitts...and people still come to DisneyWorld! The point is there are many wonderful places to visit just be educated and aware of your surroundings when you do.

We were in St. Kitt's in Dec. 07 and we did the train ride tour which we enjoyed. We did not see any sign of problems then and we will be returning there next week:)

The murder rate on St Kitts is very high when expressed as a percentage of population.

The murders are almost all gun crimes, committed late at night, by young male gang members on other young male gang members, probably drug related in some way.

I am white, my wife is white, we live and work on the island. We have never felt threatened in 2 years of being here.

Apart from the headline grabbing murder rate lets us consider the crimes that really affect "ordinary people"

1) Car Crime - hardly any. No window breaking for valuables, hardly any car theft.

2) Muggings - Only heard of one last year (3 am town centre, victim drunk)

3) Burgulary - Yes a few of these, but hardly likely to affect a cruise ship passenger.

The writer of the article is obviously against capital punishment, he is entitled to his opinion. I am entitled to mine, which is the exact opposite of his.

As for his other views on St Kitts, well he has chosen a number of bad points, some out of context and failed to explain them well.

His example of power outages for instance, the reason? we had a fire at the power station, capacity was reduced and we had problems for 2 months until the government obtained and installed a new generator. A major inconvenience for everybody, but one that was sorted.

As for the enviroment and development, the goverment has acknowledged that mistakes were made in the past and is really trying to ensure these mistakes will not be repeated in the future.

Ok, I will get off my soapbox, but please do not be put off visiting the island. It is one of the best destinations in the Caribbean.

There is some basic info about St Kitts on my website http://mystkittsdivebuddy.com and if you look on the links page you will find the goverment sites and the tourist information sites.

It's funny you say this but when we were riding in a taxi cab(mini van) last week on our cruise to St. Kitts the driver mentioned they still used the old prison there and it looked real old like back in the 1800's or earlier era. Driver also mentioned that there's hardly any crime there and I asked him why and he said," we still hang people here". I thought he was joking, but apparently reading this article...mmmm....