Explorer/first time on RCCL

may1021

Just returned today and was pleasantly surprised by Explorer and RCCL.

Thought food was great.

Thank god they had My Time Dining...love this. Do not like to be trapped with strangers for dining.

Thought staff was delightful.

Shows were good. Ice show very fun.

Lots to keep all happy.

Loved Labadee!

No chocolates on my pillow at night though like on other cruise lines?

Great job with towel animals!

Plus, if anyone else was on this cruise...can you please comment on the sad state of SOME American teens...wow! What a group of whining,complaining, foul mouthed kids on this cruise. If I heard the "fbomb" dropped one more time... I am sure that there were some very nice children onboard, however, unfortunately we didn't see a lot of them.

They were probably with their parents. I saw the group that was allowed to run wild. I must say that security was all over the place and very visible. I do not envy them their job on school vacation week.

Overall a great cruise. I would definitely do RCCL again.

Have done NCL and HAL and like them too.

MTD...we signed up for this when we got onboard. It was the first time they had it on Explorer and I think they only allowed 60 people to sign up as they are easing it in. They did a great job.

We traveled with another couple. I booked both rooms together and requested early seating and a table for 4 at the time I booked. I was told..no problem. When we boarded, we were not seated together and when we tried to change it and get at the same table we were told that only tables for 10 were available and we would have to join one of them. Not acceptable.

Fortunately I had read about MTD and beat feet to deck 5 and we signed up for it...no problem. We had a table for 4 and we could name our dinner time. You do not have to eat at the same time each night.They did ask that we stop as we left each night and tell them what time we would be coming the next night. We had the same waitstaff each night because we asked for them. We could have had different waiters/tables if we wanted. I would check beforehand though to see if you could sign up ahead of time for this. I am thrilled that they have this program.

We were on deck 5 in one section near the windows. I think this may be Degama dining room but unclear. This ship has 3 floors of dining rooms I think. Most of the diners at MTD were at tables of 2 or 4. Think there was one family at a table of 6. We usually ate around 6:30ish which was 30 minutes after the first seating time. We never waited in line. One night we had told them we were going to come at 7:15. We finished onshore earlier and wanted to dine around 6:30. We called around 5 and asked if we could come earlier...no problem. They were delightful!

You sign up to pay gratuities beforehand but we were not billed until late in the cruise.

I think the chocolates may be a cut-back...I think I recall having them on my last RCI cruise, but I can't remember for sure...

I know what you mean about the teens...

Yes, the pillow chocolate mints are the victims of cutbacks.

They are now only placed on the pillows in full suites. :rolleyes:

Plus, if anyone else was on this cruise...can you please comment on the sad state of SOME American teens...wow! What a group of whining,complaining, foul mouthed kids on this cruise. If I heard the "fbomb" dropped one more time... I am sure that there were some very nice children onboard, however, unfortunately we didn't see a lot of them.

They were probably with their parents. I saw the group that was allowed to run wild. I must say that security was all over the place and very visible. I do not envy them their job on school vacation week.

I work with someone who just came back from this same cruise - he had the same comments about the kids (butting in line, etc). Apparently the schools in NY were off that week & he said there had to be at least 1000 kids onboard.

Pat

I had a different feeling on the kids. I broke my foot while onboard and I had to spend my week in a wheelchair because there a was group of people (mostly adults, but a small group of kids) who insisted on pushing in front of me every chance they got. I can not get over the rudeness of a majority of adults who had no qualms stepping over me, around me and in front of me to get into rooms, elevators, etc.

Most of the kids were wonderful getting out of elevators so we could get in, holding doors for us, helping me get around in and out of the ladies room. There was only one group of about 12 kids who were trouble.

i just returned yesterday also.... i have to agree that some of the adults are worse than the kids..... my DH and I were waiting for one of the "slow" elevators and it finally comes, door opens, and this witch comes running with her kid in hand and yells "lets get in here" well her kid bumps into a lady with hot coffee and it spills.. They dont say sorry, excuse me, nothing... then the rude woman says to everyone in the elevator "they cant stand kids on this ship".... i said to myself " i cant stand some of the adults on this ship"...... :mad:

i was actually suprised how much i didn't mind the teenagers. i thought it was going to be horrible, but it wasn't. there were the occasional kids who pressed all the buttons on the elevator and ran off, but otherwise not as bad as i thought it would be.

on the other hand, some adults were out of control. we were there with our 3 yo and 7 month old daughters. we would take the elevator a lot of times up to go down and vice versa, just to fit the stoller and our 3yo without a problem. couldn't even tell you how many adults would basically trample over my daughter, then make a face like what was she doing on the elevator.

Archived