• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Anchorage to Seward to Whittier

swiss

We are arriving in Anchorage two days early and am thinking about staying the first night in Anchorage then driving to Seward the next afternoon. Staying the night in Seward, possibly doing a Boat Tour in Seward then driving to Whittier to get on our ship. Is this too much driving to do in roughly a 24hr period or should we just enjoy the Anchorage area and drive to Whittier the morning of our cruise and do a Glacier tour there? We are wanting to get as much "Alaska" experience as we can.

Anchorage to Seward is only about 3 hours driving time, with plenty to do along the way. I think your plan is quite doable. Unless you have something specific to do in Anchorage, I would leave there after breakfast and head south, stopping to see possible dall sheep, beluga whales, Portage Glacier, eagles, birds at Potter's Marsh, the wildlife center, etc.

Things to consider....Avis will be the only rental car you can drop off in Whittier. With your wildlife cruise is that most return around 5:30pm not leaving much time to make your ship in Whittier. Rushing from Seward at 5:45 would put you at the 7:30 tunnel and into Whittier at 7:45. You'd still have to drop off the car though that's not very far away. I don't know how late Avis is open or what time you need to be onboard.

Other than that it's very doable and a nice drive.

You could also consider taking the 6:45am train out of Anch,(or driving leaving by 8am) arriving in Seward at 11am just in time for a 6 hour boat ride. Next day visit the Sealife center, Exit Glacier, kayaking, dogsled ride ect and take a taxi or drive to Whittier that afternoon.

Thank you both for the great info! We can't leave Anchorage until after 2:30 because my sons are flying in a day later than we and we need to wait for them.

If you had to choose between a 3 hour Boat tour in Seward or going to Whittier and going a Glacier tour precruise, which would your choose? It sounds like you see alot more wildlife in Seward, is it that much more than in Whittier?

This is a great plan. I would book the 8am, Kenai Fjord boat tour, then drive direct to Whittier. PLENTY of time to get on the boat. Reserve the one way Avis rental car and enjoy your limited time.

NO, I never recommend any shorter boat tours out of Seward. A big mistake in my opinion. You need to consider 6 hours or longer on the water.

Thank you both for the great info! We can't leave Anchorage until after 2:30 because my sons are flying in a day later than we and we need to wait for them.

If you had to choose between a 3 hour Boat tour in Seward or going to Whittier and going a Glacier tour precruise, which would your choose? It sounds like you see alot more wildlife in Seward, is it that much more than in Whittier?

Absolutely, skip the 3 hour bay tours, simply not worth the time.

Comparing the regular 6 hour Kenai fjords boat tour, vs PWS boat tours, there is significantly more wildlife.

Things to consider....Avis will be the only rental car you can drop off in Whittier. With your wildlife cruise is that most return around 5:30pm not leaving much time to make your ship in Whittier. Rushing from Seward at 5:45 would put you at the 7:30 tunnel and into Whittier at 7:45. You'd still have to drop off the car though that's not very far away. I don't know how late Avis is open or what time you need to be onboard.

Other than that it's very doable and a nice drive.

You could also consider taking the 6:45am train out of Anch,(or driving leaving by 8am) arriving in Seward at 11am just in time for a 6 hour boat ride. Next day visit the Sealife center, Exit Glacier, kayaking, dogsled ride ect and take a taxi or drive to Whittier that afternoon.

I would suggest they book a 8am Kenai Fjords boat tour, and definately not anything later.

Archived