RCCL - Cairo Shore Excursions

Parrotheadfamily

I am looking at several shore excursions to Cairo.

Two include trips on the Nile:

1. Says "At the banks of the Nile, transfer to a traditional sailing vessel, the felucca, for a unique experience. Gliding gently on the longest river in the world admire Cairo's landmarks while a buffet lunch is served."

2. Says "Continue to the banks of the River Nile where a boat awaits to transport you on the same waterway traversed by Kings and Queens of Egypt. Enjoy a buffet lunch, belly dancing and a folkloric presentation as you glide past Cairo's waterfront landmarks."

My questions are:

When on the river, what is the scenery like? Is it mostly factories, etc or is there some nice views? What else do you see along the cruise?

Also, is the food served on deck or inside?

I would love to hear from anyone who has done a shore excursions that include the Nile.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just came back from Cairo and we did an excursion that included the Nile. We did the buffet lunch in the faluccas. We didn't so much cruise down the Nile as go where the wind went. There was a man steering but all the boats were pretty much in one place. They only hold about 12 people. It was not the most interesting experience but the lunch was really good. We had to pay for drinks of wine or beer and they were expensive (I had wine and my husband had an egyptian beer) but it was worth trying something different. If you do go, it was a little chilly on the river, granted we were there in March.

I'm sorry I forgot to add that if there were any Cairo landmarks present while we were in the boats, I didn't know about them. The server on the boat didn't really speak English and nobody was there to point anything out. We did the one without the belly dancing. It was the Medieval Cairo. It was a good tour though overall.

The only real point of the felucca cruise is to say you sailed on the Nile. It just goes up and down the river a bit in the middle of Cairo. It is mostly a district of high rise hotels and riverfront restaurants. We enjoyed it and found it relaxing.

Check out our review and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived