• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Misty Fjords...Air or Sea?

TonyFred

Hello Fellow Cruisers.

I am looking for some advice for my upcoming Alaska cruise. We will be in Ketchikan on May 14.

I know I would love to do the floatplane sightseeing tour. But I would also enjoy a boat tour of the Misty Fjords Monument.

My options are a 2 hour flight with Island Wings or a 5.5 hour boat tour with Alaska Travel Adventures.

I have heard nothing but good things about Michelle at Island Wings.

But I can get the boat tour for 99 dollars a person and it lasts 3 and a half hours longer. The 2 hour air tour is 239 pp.

I love to fly but the boat thing is really tempting. It includes a continental breakfast along with fresh clam chowder and smoked salmon for the entire tour.

The catamaran looks very nice too.

Being up close and personal in the boat sounds good, but I know seeing it all from the air would be magnificent.

So what you would guys do?

Thanks for any advice from folks who might have done both...pros and cons....

This is my opinion only so here goes. We took the boat trip through Princess which is run by Allen Marine and did the Misty Fjords. Now keep in mind that most of the time that is taken up is the time to get to Misty Fjords. Granted there was beautiful scenery but there were sections that I finally told my DH "when are going to get there". I truly did not mind the excursion but my DH felt that most of the time was spent getting to the fjord and he was right. Now the scenery at the fjord is spectacular. Not to be missed. I am trying to remember how long the cruise was but I got to be honest and tell you that the time that it took and the time it took to get back to ketchikan was at least 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back. Now if you do not mind that than it is the way to go. I cannot remember the price but it was through Princess.

Marilyn

and in may it might be pretty cold on that catameran out on the water. or raining. you just never know what the weather is going to be like in may. i have been with michelle and it was a fantastic trip and worth every penny.

The boat that we were on was totally covered. In fact the seats were quite nice. Looked like airline seats.:D

Marilyn

The boat that we were on was totally covered. In fact the seats were quite nice. Looked like airline seats.:D

Marilyn

my mistake. i thought it would be open on the sides. it might not be so bad then. actually the price is pretty good for all they say they are getting.

Most people love their Misty Fjords flight, but we didn't have such a great flight. The cloud ceiling was too low first thing in the morning, and so we had to turn back - having seen none of Misty Fjords. If I give it another try - it will be by boat.

During the two hour ride there and back, was there much to look at or was it mostly open water? That would make a big difference in my choice.

Decisions, decisions!

I might splurge and do the boat/plane package.

The first part of the trip was sort of open water but then as you went into this large bay you could see the shore and once in awhile there was an island where the boat woudl slow down and the guide would show us animals, etc. The only animals we saw were birds and sea lions and as you got closer into the fjord there was beautiful scenery. As i stated it was a long time to get there. Maybe you would enjoy it. I am just speaking for myself and my DH.

Marilyn

Two years ago I did the flight to Misty Fjord and really enjoyed it. I didn't think I would like being in a small plane but the views were so amazing that I really didn't think about the plane. Last year we did the walking tour of Ketchikan stopping at different sites and attractions. Since Alaska Travel Adventure is offering the cruise to Misty Fjord for $99 as a special, I'm thinking I want to book with them this year. The price is $179 through the ship!

Yes, as nice as the flight sounds, 99 dollars is a pretty good price for the 5.5 hour cruise. Both of us can do that for less than the cost of one person on the flight. And we are in Ketchikan very early so I would be worried about the low cloud level in the plane. I do think the water landing would be very exciting to experience though.

Thanks to all of you. Your opinions are very helpful. Keep em coming.

I did the boat one way and the float plane the other. It was fabulous both ways.

This would be my recommendation. Did this excursion through Princess on my last Alaska cruise and loved it. Two very different perspectives, both of them great. Pricey, but worth it. Going to Alaska again in June and plan on doing this excursion with my wife and youngest daughter.

We did it by boat and it was beautiful!

We saw lots of sea lions and eagles!

Most of the boat is covered and heated...out on the deck it was COLD!! :eek:

Also be out on deck when coming into/out of Ketchikan via the cruiseship. The close shorelines are LOADED with eagles. Consider keeping your binoculars always with you. :) Dixon Passage can also be a good humpback area, south of Ketchikan and Snow Passage north. Wide angle binoculars are necessary in my opinion, and at least 10 power for the bird viewing.

I saw one for the boat tour only.....I called to reserve and was advised they would not accept it that day since a cruise ship was in port and they were selling all of the space to the ship. I would have to book the tour directly through the cruise line and would be unable to use the coupon.

So - if you are thinking of using a coupon - call to check if they will accept it.

The coupon is for a fly/boat combo??? Would be the best option.

No. We are doing a NB and SB cruise, so we will be in Ketchikan twice. We've already booked a float plane tour for the SB stop, and we were thinking of doing the boat tour (for which we have a BOGO toursaver coupon - meaning I buy mine and DH is free) on the way up.

Sorry for the confusion :o

After giving it a lot of thought, I reserved the 5 and a half hour Misty Fjords Monument Day Cruise through the bestofalaskatravel website. I called and talked with Pam and she was very helpful. I could not resist the $99 pp special. I feel that is an outstanding price. We dock at 6 and the tour leaves at 6:30, so I was a little concerned since there are no refunds if you cancel within 14 days of the tour. If you miss the tour, you lose all of the cost.

But Pam checked and was able to tell me that this is the same exact excursion that Princess books for $179 pp. So, they will not leave until the ship arrives since some of the passengers on the ship will be on the same tour.

I will try the floatplane next time.

After giving it a lot of thought, I reserved the 5 and a half hour Misty Fjords Monument Day Cruise through the bestofalaskatravel website. I called and talked with Pam and she was very helpful. I could not resist the $99 pp special. I feel that is an outstanding price. We dock at 6 and the tour leaves at 6:30, so I was a little concerned since there are no refunds if you cancel within 14 days of the tour. If you miss the tour, you lose all of the cost.

But Pam checked and was able to tell me that this is the same exact excursion that Princess books for $179 pp. So, they will not leave until the ship arrives since some of the passengers on the ship will be on the same tour.

I will try the floatplane next time.

I just booked this excursion for June 8th (off the Diamond Princess), also through Pam. She told me that there is no guarantee that they will hold the excursion if the Princess cruise ship is late. They have other cruise ships/lines that also use them, and their ship is also the ship used for those that fly one way and cruise the other (so coordination/timing is important). I asked how often it happens that a cruise ship is late enough that they don't wait, and she said a few times a season (due to weather). So the advantage to using Princess for this trip is that your money is refunded if you miss it because the cruise ship is late into Ketchikan. Personally, I'm willing to take my chances (a few cruise ships a year is a pretty small percentage) to save about $200 for the 3 of us. I had been booked for the fly/cruise excursion through Princess, but for $800 less I'm willing to skip the flight portion.

I just booked this excursion for June 8th (off the Diamond Princess), also through Pam. She told me that there is no guarantee that they will hold the excursion if the Princess cruise ship is late. They have other cruise ships/lines that also use them, and their ship is also the ship used for those that fly one way and cruise the other (so coordination/timing is important). I asked how often it happens that a cruise ship is late enough that they don't wait, and she said a few times a season (due to weather). So the advantage to using Princess for this trip is that your money is refunded if you miss it because the cruise ship is late into Ketchikan. Personally, I'm willing to take my chances (a few cruise ships a year is a pretty small percentage) to save about $200 for the 3 of us. I had been booked for the fly/cruise excursion through Princess, but for $800 less I'm willing to skip the flight portion.

I totally agree with you. As great as the flight sounds, I cannot justify that much more money. And I will also take my chances. My experience has been that arrival at most ports is ahead of schedule and if not, I have noone but myself to blame. Pam was also clear with me that there would not be a refund if we missed the tour for any reason and had not let them know at least 14 days in advance.

We really wanted to book the Misty Fjord boat tour with Alaska Adventure but I don't think the time frame is right for us. We are in port from 10am - 6pm. Pam said on the day we are there, the tour is from 11:30am - 5pm. I start worrying .....What if our port time changes or if we should be late returning and we miss the ship..... Would you take a chance booking this tour?

Archived