• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Can you bring....

liciaheart

I have always carried my own sodas onboard. I like Mountain Dew and the ships all have coke products. It was never really a problem [our first room steward seemed a bit annoyed, but every other cruise no one said a thing].

Why would you want energy drinks?

The side effects of the energy drinks are 1) muscle dehydration, 2) unnecessary heart rates escalation, and 3) over-stimulation/arousal.

1) Energy drinks usually contain a large amount of caffeine, which is a major cause of muscle dehydration. Once muscle is dehydrated, you will have much higher risks to have cramping, especially legs. Also, even though you do not have any cramping on your legs, it will deprive muscular endurance from your bodies and hinder your performance.

2) Unnecessary heart rates escalation will make your cardiovascular and whole body exhausted too early. Since your heart rates are constantly too high because of energy drinks, your heart has to work extra hard to pump blood to entire body. However, it does not last for long time. After several hours, heart has to slow down as a reverse effect. Your heart often does not respond the way it is supposed to.

3) A lot of caffeine and sugar give you “stimulus” or “arousal” to your systems, especially to your brain. Large amounts of caffeine and sugar provide sense of “high” to your brain. The effects of caffeine and sugar disappear after a few hours. The problem is that you still feel “high” because brain chemistry remains active by energy drinks. However, in reality, your body is not working as effective as you think it is. Your body is actually very exhausted because of energy drinks after a few hours, but your brain cannot detect it.

The rule is:

A "reasonable amount of non-alcoholic drinks."

What a 'reasonable amount' is is a good question.:confused:

Dan

Not that this applies at all ports, but when i was boarding Elation in December, people were being told 2 6pk limit on sodas.

Although.....we all know that at any given time, another person working the line will tell us something different.

The side effects of the energy drinks are 1) muscle dehydration, 2) unnecessary heart rates escalation, and 3) over-stimulation/arousal.

1)Energy drinks usually contain a large amount of caffeine, which is a major cause of muscle dehydration. Once muscle is dehydrated, you will have much higher risks to have cramping, especially legs. Also, even though you do not have any cramping on your legs, it will deprive muscular endurance from your bodies and hinder your performance.

2)Unnecessary heart rates escalation will make your cardiovascular and whole body exhausted too early. Since your heart rates are constantly too high because of energy drinks, your heart has to work extra hard to pump blood to entire body. However, it does not last for long time. After several hours, heart has to slow down as a reverse effect. Your heart often does not respond the way it is supposed to.

3)A lot of caffeine and sugar give you “stimulus” or “arousal” to your systems, especially to your brain. Large amounts of caffeine and sugar provide sense of “high” to your brain. The effects of caffeine and sugar disappear after a few hours. The problem is that you still feel “high” because brain chemistry remains active by energy drinks. However, in reality, your body is not working as effective as you think it is. Your body is actually very exhausted because of energy drinks after a few hours, but your brain cannot detect it.

Wow, all that preaching and no answer to the question :p LOL

OP, as stated by the helpful posters here, yes, you can bring them as long as they aren't alcoholic :p The amount, is unclear and will depend on the mood of the people making decisions that day :D

If you wanted medical advice, I would imagine you would probably have asked your doctor rather and not a cruise message board :p

I have a small soft sided rolling cooler which is 13X11X12.5 will they allow this with soda in it as a carry on? I know the web says 12X12X12 but come on, do they really measure it? Never cruised with Carnival and don't want to be told it can't come.

I have a small soft sided rolling cooler which is 13X11X12.5 will they allow this with soda in it as a carry on? I know the web says 12X12X12 but come on, do they really measure it? Never cruised with Carnival and don't want to be told it can't come.

Yes, they do measure it and it appears to be strictly enforced. I had a cooler on the last cruise that was a 1/2 inch too wide on only one dimension, and the only reason the security officer let it through was that it contained my son's soymilk.

1)Energy drinks usually contain a large amount of caffeine, which is a major cause of muscle dehydration. Once muscle is dehydrated, you will have much higher risks to have cramping, especially legs. Also, even though you do not have any cramping on your legs, it will deprive muscular endurance from your bodies and hinder your performance.

2)Unnecessary heart rates escalation will make your cardiovascular and whole body exhausted too early. Since your heart rates are constantly too high because of energy drinks, your heart has to work extra hard to pump blood to entire body. However, it does not last for long time. After several hours, heart has to slow down as a reverse effect. Your heart often does not respond the way it is supposed to.

3)A lot of caffeine and sugar give you “stimulus” or “arousal” to your systems, especially to your brain. Large amounts of caffeine and sugar provide sense of “high” to your brain. The effects of caffeine and sugar disappear after a few hours. The problem is that you still feel “high” because brain chemistry remains active by energy drinks. However, in reality, your body is not working as effective as you think it is. Your body is actually very exhausted because of energy drinks after a few hours, but your brain cannot detect it.

Thanks for the BUZZ kill. :) hehehehehe sorry had to make a pun.

I was wondering if you are can bring energy drinks aboard with you. I know you are allowed a small amount of drinks but not sure about energy drinks if anyone can help me that would be great, thanks.

On our last cruise we took 4 big cans of red bull and about 6 smaller cans along with a bottle of Jack Daniels. Nothing was said to us. :cool:

The rule is:

A "reasonable amount of non-alcoholic drinks."

What a 'reasonable amount' is is a good question.:confused:

Dan

I actually called a carnival rep once and asked them how they defined the term "reasonable" in their drink policy. They told me it was left to the discretion of the port security people screening your bags.

So, in other words, you can take as much as you think you can get away with.. That's about as precise an answer as anyone can give.

Thank you for your thoughts but I think that if a person wants to have an energy drink thats there choice.

As for everyone else thank you for the advice lets hope they let me take a couple of cans because they sold red bull on the last cruise but can't stand it so.

Perhaps the poster about the dangers of "power drinks" just wanted to give a heads up to be careful. On my DD's 21st birthday she wound up in the hospital w/ dehydration and a heart rate of over 200. Her blood alcohol was well below the limit for intoxication and the ER docs said it was the combo of the booze and the Red Bull. They said they see it every weekend. Not to say don't drink it. Just be aware.

Not lately.

They have been throwing away the soft sided coolers and putting your drinks in a trashbag, something about the lining and the xray machine (there is a thread about this somewhere)

They are letting you take them on in the small coolers that have the shoulder straps ot just a snallrolling suitcase.

Archived